• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brand is Peter Christian. However, more importantly , I think the fabric is Brisbane Moss who are top quality for corduroy and moleskin.
I am awaiting a pair from Joseph Turner in the same fabric, which, in the brochure, look very much like Peter Christian (in their brochure).

The M&S ones are from the 'Sartorial' range. I'm not sure if that is significant, but they are wearing very well indeed. The best cords for wear that I have ever had were from the German? company Statz - very solid but comfortable too. The worst were from Uniqlo - lovely to wear but very short-lived.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Travel day today. I wrote this outfit up on the blog with some musings on the theme of dressing for the seasons.

4E912A2F-3679-44FA-9A70-C17B47B80A9A.jpeg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am awaiting a pair from Joseph Turner in the same fabric, which, in the brochure, look very much like Peter Christian (in their brochure).

The M&S ones are from the 'Sartorial' range. I'm not sure if that is significant, but they are wearing very well indeed. The best cords for wear that I have ever had were from the German? company Statz - very solid but comfortable too. The worst were from Uniqlo - lovely to wear but very short-lived.
I get Joseph Turner brochures sent to me - though I have never requested them. Big discounts on Black Friday.

I lose track on Marks different range names. I do remember ‘Best of British’ - a short lived collaboration with UK makers offering more expensive items than standard.

Last thing I bought from Marks were three cheap T Shirts. They were like rags after one wash.

Swampster

Reaction score

Swampster

Reaction score
Mine are the Barker Cardiff, which are in FX rather than my usual G. I have the Castagnia suede which is now OOP I think.

I have only worn them once or twice - the toe is longer than I am used to.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we're not High Street shoppers here - I began to struggle 20 years ago - but no talk on the demise of Burton, Topman and Debenhams? That's a big yawning gap that's opened up, in more ways than one.

I don't think M&S was arse raped by private equity or a billionaire so I reckon it will survive though I've not been in there for a few years.

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we're not High Street shoppers here - I began to struggle 20 years ago - but no talk on the demise of Burton, Topman and Debenhams? That's a big yawning gap that's opened up, in more ways than one.

I don't think M&S was arse raped by private equity or a billionaire so I reckon it will survive though I've not been in there for a few years.
It’s the best part of 50 years since I used Burtons. That was in days of getting stuff made to measure. I did have to visit their HQ in Hudson Road Mills, Leeds in the 1970s but that visit was more Burton Group related rather than for the clothing factory that made them.

M&S thought their brand was all-conquering and they stopped worrying about value and quality. Processed food sales were excellent for a while and they thought they could venture into other areas, but ignored the basics while doing so. They will survive but with a smaller number of outlets.

All shops are vulnerable now - even good ones.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between my 16's and 17's I used to wear what I liked to call a Crombie. Actually it was just a dark blue, mid-thigh overcoat, whose sleeves would be considered short even for a jacket. I wore a cheap black pork pie hat - with red feather - too.
Luckily, no evidence has survived to tarnish my reputation.
Anyway, as the look goes along with age, here's my present interpretation of my youthful rig:
20201204_124537-1.jpg 20201204_124723.jpg
DAKS vintage overcoat and Akubra homburg.
As a matter of fact, what else is an Homburg if not an old man porkpie hat?
(Now all hat lovers can shoot me for this ...)

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Between my 16's and 17's I used to wear what I liked to call a Crombie. Actually it was just a dark blue, mid-thigh overcoat, whose sleeves would be considered short even for a jacket. I wore a cheap black pork pie hat - with red feather - too.
Luckily, no evidence has survived to tarnish my reputation.
Anyway, as the look goes along with age, here's my present interpretation of my youthful rig:
View attachment 1509997 View attachment 1509998
DAKS vintage overcoat and Akubra homburg.
As a matter of fact, what else is an Homburg if not an old man porkpie hat?
(Now all hat lovers can shoot me for this ...)
The hat is more formal than the overcoat.

You have to go back a bit, but check Sir Anthony Eden or Tony Hancock and his Astrakhan collar overcoat.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads