• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have spotted the new Challenge featuring the brogue? Maybe of interest?
Not really. I certainly won’t be voting.

I just don’t think I am on the same wavelength as others who put their crosses in the boxes.

I wonder if the Inkss entry will become the Styleforum equivalent of a sleeper hit ?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not really. I certainly won’t be voting.

I just don’t think I am on the same wavelength as others who put their crosses in the boxes.

I wonder if the Inkss entry will become the Styleforum equivalent of a sleeper hit ?
Yes, point taken. That Inkss outfit was the sort of thing that comes along just once in a blue moon.

I thought this Challenge could be interesting due to the 'degree of difficulty'. Brogues are not a natural partner for a casual outfit - yes we attempted it in 1969, but it was not wholly successful and short-lived. Smooths, split-toe gibsons and loafers all looked better with the casual stuff we wore then. It may throw up some interesting entries...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, point taken. That Inkss outfit was the sort of thing that comes along just once in a blue moon.

I thought this Challenge could be interesting due to the 'degree of difficulty'. Brogues are not a natural partner for a casual outfit - yes we attempted it in 1969, but it was not wholly successful and short-lived. Smooths, split-toe gibsons and loafers all looked better with the casual stuff we wore then. It may throw up some interesting entries...
You could make a case that brogues are not formal and are therefore casual.

Brogues would not have been worn (or have been acceptable) by the dark suit and plain black Oxfords crowd of yesteryear. They are originally country footwear and therefore somewhat casual.

Removing a tie goes some way towards countering the country set look but most of the other elements still seem to be present.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DAKS suit bought new with tags on ebay and Alfred Sargent shoes.
The suit seems to be in a more 'contemporary' and softer cut, with almost neapolitan shoulders. The shoes are sleek and square toed, and burgundy rather than black.
Two staples of British menswear, but in some way far from what one might guess when thinking about a classic English attire.

As you all will understand, I'm trying to present my today rig as an evolution, so that it might fit in this thread ...

20201029_154103-1.jpg 20201029_154731.jpg
20201029_160659.jpg

Mercman

Reaction score
Very nice look, Luigi. I'm not a double-breasted man but you carry it off well there, I must say.

The burgundy shoes are a nice touch too, in my view.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen.
I'd be also glad to know your opinion about the relevancy of my pics with this thread:
- yes, they are perfectly relevant
- well, maybe ...
- are you kidding me?
Cheers.

Mercman

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, Luigi, so it wouldn't be my place to say. But I've just been scrolling through the thread and I think it's great. Some brilliant contributions from you all.

@ Thin White Duke - been checking your blog out. It's really good. It takes a lot of work to put together something like that so I take my hat off to you. We're about the same vintage as well so some of your old photos bring back a few memories, I can tell you.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys have spotted the new Challenge featuring the brogue? Maybe of interest?

I've seen it but I'm still in two minds about brogues, my recent scotchgrain Astronauts fill that space for me.

DAKS suit bought new with tags on ebay and Alfred Sargent shoes.
The suit seems to be in a more 'contemporary' and softer cut, with almost neapolitan shoulders.

DAKS has a very distinctive cut, with often slightly quirky details, that seems to fit me perfectly. After my recent good fortune with the stone Aquascutum and the scotchgrain Astronauts, my one remaining object of desire would be something like a DAKS Crombie

Alfred Sargent you say, I don't think I ever posted a photo of these, my most formal shoes

IMG_20201029_205605.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the forum, Luigi, so it wouldn't be my place to say. But I've just been scrolling through the thread and I think it's great. Some brilliant contributions from you all.

@ Thin White Duke - been checking your blog out. It's really good. It takes a lot of work to put together something like that so I take my hat off to you. We're about the same vintage as well so some of your old photos bring back a few memories, I can tell you.
Thank you sir - compliments always welcome.
Doing the blog is a labour of love - or it used to be till Wordpress changed their editing format and it’s a nightmare to work with now!

As for @Luigi_M’s question I think not only are your contributions relevant but extremely welcome along with @Mercman and any other recent joiners to the thread, which some people were trying to kill off not long ago. The Thread Goes On!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you sir - compliments always welcome.
Doing the blog is a labour of love - or it used to be till Wordpress changed their editing format and it’s a nightmare to work with now!

As for @Luigi_M’s question I think not only are your contributions relevant but extremely welcome along with @Mercman and any other recent joiners to the thread, which some people were trying to kill off not long ago. The Thread Goes On!
Yes, it is a place where we can post with confidence, knowing that any critique will be offered in a gentlemanly manner ?

Mercman

Reaction score
I've been browsing around the forum for a little while now and there are some tremendous threads but this must be one of the best, if not the best. Interesting, informative, some great photos and a nice bit of humour thrown in. I mean, what's not to like?

The Mod to Suedehead thread is also very good too. Quite a bit of overlap between posters on the two threads, I notice. Which is, of course, understandable given the subject matter.

Some very knowledgeable guys on both threads too, which is a pleasure to see ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads