• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you on first name terms with the manager or something?! I have looked in a few TKMs over the last couple of months and the only BB stuff I could get was online. Even then I have returned 3 out of 4 as the description didn’t include the fit.
I just seem to drop on, I also got 2 pairs of Joseph (French designer) trousers, for 14 quid each, I reckon that they would probably be about 200 quid each at least.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just going back to the discussion about new stuff for the A / W, I do partly accept @Kingstonian 's point, but there will always be ‘enthusiasts’ who will want to dress for themselves, whatever the prevailing circumstances.

I was reading a piece the other day in the Evening Standard, I think, that asserted ‘Fashion is now out of fashion’. The core argument was the same – increased working from home, no parties / holidays / other occasions to dress up for all have a catastrophic effect on consumption of new clothing. People were just making do.

Interestingly, though the same piece went on to report that Primark were having their best year ever. So, at the very bottom of the market with ‘disposable fashion’ there is actually an increase in demand. That is probably attributed to all the young people that post on Instagram, never wanting to repeat an outfit. Equally, it said that LVMH was bullish about its current position with high-end Designer pieces still flying of the shelves. But in between those two extremes suppliers were really struggling.

My own limited, local research has also revealed that fewer people seem to be getting their hair cut since hairdressers reopened. My own hairdresser said, after an early surge in demand, it had gone back to a January / February feel when it is apparently always flat. Same thing at my ironing service. It seems people only bother to get stuff ironed if they are going somewhere important. Apart from the sad indictment on our fellow human beings, it’s very worrying for the economy as we now enter a period of further restrictions.

So, good for you @Yorky for continuing to splash out. I must re-examine my own attitude. The Look Goes On…

Swampster

Reaction score
Just going back to the discussion about new stuff for the A / W, I do partly accept @Kingstonian 's point, but there will always be ‘enthusiasts’ who will want to dress for themselves, whatever the prevailing circumstances.

I was reading a piece the other day in the Evening Standard, I think, that asserted ‘Fashion is now out of fashion’. The core argument was the same – increased working from home, no parties / holidays / other occasions to dress up for all have a catastrophic effect on consumption of new clothing. People were just making do.

Interestingly, though the same piece went on to report that Primark were having their best year ever. So, at the very bottom of the market with ‘disposable fashion’ there is actually an increase in demand. That is probably attributed to all the young people that post on Instagram, never wanting to repeat an outfit. Equally, it said that LVMH was bullish about its current position with high-end Designer pieces still flying of the shelves. But in between those two extremes suppliers were really struggling.

My own limited, local research has also revealed that fewer people seem to be getting their hair cut since hairdressers reopened. My own hairdresser said, after an early surge in demand, it had gone back to a January / February feel when it is apparently always flat. Same thing at my ironing service. It seems people only bother to get stuff ironed if they are going somewhere important. Apart from the sad indictment on our fellow human beings, it’s very worrying for the economy as we now enter a period of further restrictions.

So, good for you @Yorky for continuing to splash out. I must re-examine my own attitude. The Look Goes On…
My barber said he thought a lot of customers liked their new lockdown locks and came in to get them tidied up and styled which can be done less frequently.
If being in public becomes less frequent then perhaps it will encourage more spending on fewer but better items. Unfortunately the Primark figures suggest that people will have fewer chances to wear something so don’t want to invest. With women’s fashion being more volatile then men’s this may show differently.
Not that it is quite as it is in the past. There was an old comedy - Much Binding in the Marsh - on the radio yesterday. They were parodying the women’s New Look and talked about the daring vanguard of men’s fashion who were wearing their jackets half an inch longer.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Autumn is here, cold enough to require a wool jacket.
I took the habit of cutting my hair by myself, but only a buzzcut is within my limited skills: hence the need to have something to keep my cabeza warm.
20200928_151953.jpg

EDIT: I realize now that, for you Britons, cabeza is more properly called 'noggin'

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Autumn is here, cold enough to require a wool jacket.
I took the habit of cutting my hair by myself, but only a buzzcut is within my limited skills: hence the need to have something to keep my cabeza warm.
View attachment 1467033

EDIT: I realize now that, for you Britons, cabeza is more properly called 'noggin'
Or bean, bonce, noddle, pate, etc.

Looks good, Sir!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. K for the compliment and for enlarging my vocabulary too - where I live zucca (pumpkin) is a common term.
I must add that my attires tend to be quite drab in warmer seasons (usually monochrome clothes) and more flashy when weather gets colder.
The jacket I'm wearing today is an example - more to come ...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Mr. K for the compliment and for enlarging my vocabulary too - where I live zucca (pumpkin) is a common term.
I must add that my attires tend to be quite drab in warmer seasons (usually monochrome clothes) and more flashy when weather gets colder.
The jacket I'm wearing today is an example - more to come ...
What region are you in Luigi?
We Brits tend to think of Italy as a year round warm climate, Roman senators strolling around the forum wearing louche togas etc, but I know it must get cold in northern and/or mountainous regions

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duke, I live in Veneto (north east Italy). Three or four months really warm, another three quite cold, and the rest so so and often rainy or humid (thick fogs at times: we use to say that it isn't fog as long as you can see the bonnet of the car you are driving).
As a matter of fact, a toga would be a comfortable attire in summer - pity we lost the wisdom of our fathers.
Growing old I appreciate more and more the summer, but in this season I've had enough of it and am longing for cold days, to put on my beloved overcoats and tweed jackets.
Cheers!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Duke, I live in Veneto (north east Italy). Three or four months really warm, another three quite cold, and the rest so so and often rainy or humid (thick fogs at times: we use to say that it isn't fog as long as you can see the bonnet of the car you are driving).
As a matter of fact, a toga would be a comfortable attire in summer - pity we lost the wisdom of our fathers.
Growing old I appreciate more and more the summer, but in this season I've had enough of it and am longing for cold days, to put on my beloved overcoats and tweed jackets.
Cheers!
The Dolomites is nearly Austria. Nice part of the world.

Swampster

Reaction score
When I have been through the Dolomites by train, I loved the scenery but part of me really wanted to see a 1970s Triumph car of a particular model

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I have been through the Dolomites by train, I loved the scenery but part of me really wanted to see a 1970s Triumph car of a particular model
How about the bigger-selling Ford Cortina in Cortina?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Treviso was The Big Town for me as a young lad!
We used to organize saturday expeditions by bus from the country to the city, and there I bought my first Wranglers and Clarks.

Some years later I bought my first Burberry raincoat and Church's Burwood (pre-Prada, in black bookbinder) at an haberdashery called 'Al Duca d'Aosta' wich was well renowned and kept the better British brands.
It's still there, but is now more fashion oriented and the quality is no more what it used to be.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads