• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which ever way you measure it it’s properly autumn now, by far the best time of year ?

What are your plans for updating your wardrobe guys? My only must-have, apart from some otc socks, is a piece of knitwear to wear over and disguise that rather strident polo from PoloRL I bought recently!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Which ever way you measure it it’s properly autumn now, by far the best time of year ?

What are your plans for updating your wardrobe guys? My only must-have, apart from some otc socks, is a piece of knitwear to wear over and disguise that rather strident polo from PoloRL I bought recently!
I’m trying to resist the urge to buy any more clothes but I’ve been dropping a ton on various sunglasses lately which has got to stop.
I got a nice mid blue solid knitted long sleeve polo from Far Afield which will suit cooler weather but we don’t really get an autumn here. If the temperatures drop again in late October as they usually do I may be forced to dust off one of my harrington or monkey jackets. I also got a Levi’s navy MA1 with a trip to England in mind but who knows when I’ll ever be able to book travel back to the sceptered isle?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m trying to resist the urge to buy any more clothes but I’ve been dropping a ton on various sunglasses lately which has got to stop.
I got a nice mid blue solid knitted long sleeve polo from Far Afield which will suit cooler weather but we don’t really get an autumn here. If the temperatures drop again in late October as they usually do I may be forced to dust off one of my harrington or monkey jackets. I also got a Levi’s navy MA1 with a trip to England in mind but who knows when I’ll ever be able to book travel back to the sceptered isle?
Not much chance of a visit to the Old Country at the moment...

It is hard to justify buying new stuff when I guess most of us have 'enough' already. That reminds me of a line in one of the Jeeves and Wooster episodes when Jeeves briefly handed over the reins to another butler. He said 'cor, got enough clothes ain't he?' Jeeves replied, 'Just about, I believe'.

Anyway, my main focus may be getting existing pieces repaired, re-tailored, etc. Perhaps a more sustainable approach for straitened times...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure, if Jeeves was watching, he would be appalled at the term Butler. Of course I meant Valet!

Anyway, a couple of outfits from this week. I wore corduroy for the first time this autumn earlier in the week when I made a rare office visit. The blazer and POW trousers today were one of my first commissions from the East London tailor, Roger Crawford when I went back to bespke a few years ago.

WFH 24 09 20 deets.jpg

WFH 24 09 20 full.jpg

Formal Friday 25 09 20_.jpg

Formal Friday 25 09 20 full.jpg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is hard to justify buying new stuff when I guess most of us have 'enough' already.
True.

Also

1. All dressed up and nowhere to go.

2. At my age, the consideration that what I have already will ‘see me out’.

Then I see another oldie wearing a single breasted jacket but the lapels and button stance are very dated. So some limited replenishment may be necessary.

They say women love shopping, but I think acquiring ‘stuff’ is common to both sexes. Watches are the big mystery. In my day you used to own one watch and get it repaired or serviced as necessary. Now people have collections and sell watches on. They even have ‘winders’ to wind up automatic watches that are not on the owners wrist constantly (as used to be the case).

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True.

Also

1. All dressed up and nowhere to go.

2. At my age, the consideration that what I have already will ‘see me out’.

Then I see another oldie wearing a single breasted jacket but the lapels and button stance are very dated. So some limited replenishment may be necessary.

They say women love shopping, but I think acquiring ‘stuff’ is common to both sexes. Watches are the big mystery. In my day you used to own one watch and get it repaired or serviced as necessary. Now people have collections and sell watches on. They even have ‘winders’ to wind up automatic watches that are not on the owners wrist constantly (as used to be the case).
Do you think that the advent of social media has driven us down that path @Kingstonian ?

My mum always used to reply when I asked her if she would like to have been the queen, that the pressure of always having to be impeccably dressed, always in something different would be too much. Now we want to do it to ourselves...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you think that the advent of social media has driven us down that path @Kingstonian ?

My mum always used to reply when I asked her if she would like to have been the queen, that the pressure of always having to be impeccably dressed, always in something different would be too much. Now we want to do it to ourselves...
Social media might have driven increased consumption but lockdown will do the opposite.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am sure, if Jeeves was watching, he would be appalled at the term Butler. Of course I meant Valet!

Anyway, a couple of outfits from this week. I wore corduroy for the first time this autumn earlier in the week when I made a rare office visit. The blazer and POW trousers today were one of my first commissions from the East London tailor, Roger Crawford when I went back to bespke a few years ago.

View attachment 1465036

View attachment 1465037

View attachment 1465038

View attachment 1465039
Going out into Leeds tonight to eat at an Italian restaurant, and I will be wearing a similar outfit to your top photos, a brown cord Ralph Lauren 3/2 jacket, and grey wool flecked Paul Smith trousers with turn ups. Both unworn as yet I posted the jacket on here a while ago, but only bought the trousers last weekend from a PS outlet £50 reduced from £310. Wasn't sure if the grey trousers would go but now that I've seen your outfit I'm happy that they do.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers Mr K, they are Nene in Appaloosa leather, pre Prada, l also have a pair in black, which see very little wear.
Pre-Prada Church’s were great. My last pair from that era were damaged by Church’s (post-Prada) during a refurbishment. The replacement pair are just as solid to my eyes but it is the current focus on fashion forward stuff that I can’t really accept. Yours must be over 15 years old or so.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pre-Prada Church’s were great. My last pair from that era were damaged by Church’s (post-Prada) during a refurbishment. The replacement pair are just as solid to my eyes but it is the current focus on fashion forward stuff that I can’t really accept. Yours must be over 15 years old or so.
At least 15 years old

Latest TKMaxx haul 7 Brooks Brothers shirts 13 quid each.
IMG_9178.JPG

Swampster

Reaction score
At least 15 years old

Latest TKMaxx haul 7 Brooks Brothers shirts 13 quid each.
View attachment 1466676
Are you on first name terms with the manager or something?! I have looked in a few TKMs over the last couple of months and the only BB stuff I could get was online. Even then I have returned 3 out of 4 as the description didn’t include the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads