• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, @Mr Tickle and @Thin White Duke , we're eagerly awaiting to admire your family pics!
I’ve posted a few pics of the ol’ fella
on here from time to time when pertinent.

I love this one from Torquay
6AE7BA55-0C18-4478-92FE-173954E634FE.jpeg

This was taken in Gibraltar, a rare shot of him wearing a brimmed hat
8F97495A-83D2-4A8A-90D5-8C9B78EE8F7E.jpeg

And this one from the mid fifties with a certain Prime Minister:

D0E4699F-7BA7-4CAE-8251-D6AB89C8F97F.jpeg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand it's not part of The Look, but since it has been mentioned here by another poster (@Kingstonian), and I have been wanting one for years, here's my latest purchase: a British Warm Coat.
Found on ebay for a breeze, it's made in Britain by Dunn & Co.
View attachment 1432392

(Also, cross posting in the 'Here and Now' thread as I spoke of it there)
Yes. I have a Dunn’s British Warm. Crombie cloth. ‘Made in Britain’ on the label.

They are a bargain if you can find one in good condition.

Mine has peak lapels.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thin White Duke my English is quite poor, so I haven't that much adjectives from which to pick. Anyway, if I had to choose one to define your old man from these pics, I'd say 'sharp'.

@Kingstonian , I was happy to spend £35 for my coat; it wasn't easy to find one in my size (UK 46) and in good conditions. Usually they are moth eaten. Mine only needs a thorough dry clean and I fulfilled a long dream of mine.

Now I have to find a suitable headgear to protect my noggin' when I'll be wearing it in winter. I understand that many British Officers used their Warm with civilian clothes, but usually wore a bowler hat. This would be quite too much for me. I'm thinking about an Homburg or a flat cap - for less formal occasions.

Last edited:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are also a whole range of braces available in regimental colours too ?
Well, that would be a little overkill ...
Besides, I learnt from the Brits not to wear a regimental item unless you actually served in that Regiment.
For this reason if I wear striped ties, it's only in blue and red, as I did my National Service in a Corps which had these colours.

Oh ... wait ... I have a striped dark red and olive green tie too, but only out of affection as my dad (who never had been in the Military) owned one like that. Hope it will not be considered improper.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Thin White Duke my English is quite poor, so I haven't that much adjectives from which to pick. Anyway, if I had to choose one to define your old man from these pics, I'd say 'sharp'.

@Kingstonian , I was happy to spend £35 for my coat; it wasn't easy to find one in my size (UK 46) and in good conditions. Usually they are moth eaten. Mine only needs a thorough dry clean and I fulfilled a long dream of mine.

Now I have to find a suitable headgear to protect my noggin' when I'll be wearing it in winter. I understand that many British Officers used their Warm with civilian clothes, but usually wore a bowler hat. This would be quite too much for me. I'm thinking about an Homburg or a flat cap - for less formal occasions.

Sounds good. I also go for a 46R or 44R.

Some sellers try it on with moth eaten garments but buying in Summer might help - fewer buyers around .

Definitely would not wear a bowler or a Homburg hat. Hatless is my preferred option.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great pictures @Thin White Duke I always thought that PM was a very sharp chap, but your dad puts him in the shade there!

Lovely coat @Luigi_M

Come on @Mr Tickle

Earlier in the week I had to drop into my Solicitor, so made a bit of an effort. TWD - this is my only 3r2 jacket and it does roll. It also has a plain back. It's by Gurteen in a nice light linen blend and part-lined.

CT shirt // TM Lewin PS // Jasper Conran trousers (one of two pairs from a suit) // Boss suede loafers // Alvaro washed leather pouch Solicitor 28 07 20 full.jpg

WFH 28 07 20 deets.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve seen pics of this jacket before Mr. K. I always thought a separate pinstripe jacket a bold move so as not to look orphaned but I think in your case this is mitigated by the linen texture and light weight.

As for the roll - the two kinds of three-roll-whatever jackets I cannot abide are :
1. those ‘Ivy’ versions where the lapel is pressed flat and there’s a vestigial buttonhole buggering up the lower lapel
2. those as worn lately by Daniel Craig as Bond where when worn as normal there is no visual evidence without close examination that a top button and buttonhole even exists
These two examples are in my mind really just aberrations of a two button jacket. While my preference is obviously for a ‘hard three’ I have a couple of jackets with the option of buttoning the middle only which produces a pleasing roll somewhere in the vicinity of the top button as you’ve aptly demonstrated here.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are from when 2-button jackets were coming into style and dry cleaners would advertise “we’ll press your old 3-button into a more modern 2-button style!” or something along those lines. Sometimes they fell into category 1. and sometimes category 2.— and then sometimes they rolled(which I prefer).

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are from when 2-button jackets were coming into style and dry cleaners would advertise “we’ll press your old 3-button into a more modern 2-button style!” or something along those lines. Sometimes they fell into category 1. and sometimes category 2.— and then sometimes they rolled(which I prefer).
I always wondered what the origin of those jackets is. I may have a heard a similar story before, that some time in the mid sixties when three button jackets were going out of fashion they were pressed flat. The adulation they seem to receive leaves me completely baffled!

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always wondered what the origin of those jackets is. I may have a heard a similar story before, that some time in the mid sixties when three button jackets were going out of fashion they were pressed flat. The adulation they seem to receive leaves me completely baffled!

Yeah I Suppose it’s like a waistcoat with the deliberately-undone bottom button. It’s there, but you don’t use it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads