• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. My jacket has been with me for forty two years now.
Full disclosure: the original tabbed zipper went broke within some months from the purchase, so my mam had it replaced by a neighbour.
A lovely old lady by the way ... she thought me and my brother were too thin and made pies for us, that she brought to our mom (who, therefore, got afraid about people thinking she wasn't feeding us enough so kept stuffing us like turkeys).
My brother and I just were in that beautiful age in which one could eat whatever and in any amount - and immediately burn out all.

Swampster

Reaction score
My brother and I just were in that beautiful age in which one could eat whatever and in any amount - and immediately burn out all.
Those were the days. I used to be self-conscious about my ability to hide behind a garden cane though I could eat loads. I think the only time I was happy about my weight and build was when I was around 30, though I am too indolent to do much to try to regain it.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another navy jacket here. Yesterday was my ‘Formal-ish Friday’ and a visit to my barber.

Bespoke blazer with smokey MoP buttons // CT shirt // Shibumi Firenze tie // M&S autograph dogtooth trousers // Bass for Mr Porter weejuns in Horween leather:

D392FA17-3B81-4A83-A6F4-8E5144108A09.jpeg

56745B4E-BC87-494B-97A2-5A68DE04C4A6.jpeg

06D1F662-AFF7-4A52-96CE-B9CDE0C5AA9B.jpeg

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
I love the clothes in this thread but am not totally sure what it is all about.
Could someone explain the concept of "the look" for me?

Swampster

Reaction score
I love the clothes in this thread but am not totally sure what it is all about.
Could someone explain the concept of "the look" for me?
I think there have been definitions of ‘the Look’ at various points in the thread, but the thing which brought me to read the thread is summed up by your first seven words above.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That looks great @Luigi_M Some nice touches like the little chain to hang it from, the zipper pull ring and the lining check. Superb condition too ?. Wear it in good health as our American friends say.
I agree.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very nice. Were you waiting for the potatoes to be served or are you avoiding carbohydrates ?
Don't forget the Yorkshire puddings and gravy also, the potatoes were in the pulled pork croquettes.?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen. My jacket has been with me for forty two years now.
Full disclosure: the original tabbed zipper went broke within some months from the purchase, so my mam had it replaced by a neighbour.
A lovely old lady by the way ... she thought me and my brother were too thin and made pies for us, that she brought to our mom (who, therefore, got afraid about people thinking she wasn't feeding us enough so kept stuffing us like turkeys).
I often say these days that I used to work out in order to get fitter.
Now I work out just to break even!

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
The look is something that arose in UK youth culture a long time ago. This thread is our influence and evolution from then.
I'm really interested in this. My dad was a mod in London in the 60s (some of the photos he has are fantastic) and is now a rockabilly great grandad approaching 80, who restored an original lambretta a couple of years ago and was allowed to ride it for all of 10 minutes before my mum threatened to petition to have his driving licence revoked for being of unsound mind, if he ever rode it again. Thankfully.
Going back even further than that, I'm told my grandfather was a particularly well-know spiv-about-town in the east end during the war years, and was always known for being very well dressed.
Growing up in the 90s myself, my own influences on dressing as a youth were rave and American alt-rock cultures, which was obviously very disconnected sartorially from the lineage that ran from mod through skin, 2-tone, punk, new wave etc. Then of course we were into the 80s and everyone started dressing as either a yuppie or a Californian surfer. I actually like to think that rave culture was one last rail against the encroachment of globalised MTV-prescribed youth culture that's probably an unfortunate side effect of the globalised world we live in.
Sorry, I think I had a point when I started writing this but it's gone now. As you were.

Mr Tickle

Reaction score
What I took from that was that you have some great pics of your dad. Get them posted!
Will try and dig them out! There are actually albums full back at their place. There's probably a lot of cultural/ fashion history locked away in similar manner that should really be digitised for posterity. People used to give consideration to what they photographed back then, when you could only take 24 pictures before you had to buy a new film.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will try and dig them out! There are actually albums full back at their place. There's probably a lot of cultural/ fashion history locked away in similar manner that should really be digitised for posterity. People used to give consideration to what they photographed back then, when you could only take 24 pictures before you had to buy a new film.
My dad had an album from his years in the RAF from the war up through the fifties. I have it all digitised.
I’ve used the time during lockdown to digitise and remount all my pics from the eighties onwards.
But you’re right - when we were kids the camera came out on summer holidays plus a few birthdays and christmases only so the pictorial record of our family history is very patchy until the digital age!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I understand it's not part of The Look, but since it has been mentioned here by another poster (@Kingstonian), and I have been wanting one for years, here's my latest purchase: a British Warm Coat.
Found on ebay for a breeze, it's made in Britain by Dunn & Co.
29-07-2020.jpg

(Also, cross posting in the 'Here and Now' thread as I spoke of it there)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads