• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good entires lately, and since I’m always saying we need more lifestyle shots, here’s a contribution from the weekend in front of weird tree in St. Petersburg

View attachment 1423808

Tom Ford / Fred Perry / Levi’s 501 / Clark’s.

Also I did a recent blog post including musings about trainers:

View attachment 1423809
Oliver People’s / Fred Perry / Uniqlo / adidas Padiham
What ya doing in Russia, have you defected??

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Luigi_M the only negative comment I would offer is I don't think the formality of an Oxford shoe (I appreciate they are suede) goes especially well with cotton trousers / jeans. Having said that, I do sometimes do it myself!

@Thin White Duke great to see a lifestyle picture. I like the zip-up FP. Is that a collaboration?
‘Oxford shoes not appropriate’ is the theory. I think suede trumps Oxford here and it looks a very good combination to me.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you gentlemen for the feedback and advice.
After having dressed like an old man for all my 30's and 40's, i embraced a more relaxed style now, so a slip off is always a risk without "some good men's" opinion.

If it works in a town in Italy then it works.
... I hope this doesn't actually mean "In every British town we would have pissed on your shoes", does it?;)

suede trumps Oxford here
That's exactly my take. I agree with @Mr Knightley though, black captoes would have been a little too much.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
‘Oxford shoes not appropriate’ is the theory. I think suede trumps Oxford here and it looks a very good combination to me.
Good point @Kingstonian

@Thin White Duke the reason I asked is that I have a similar black Fred Perry with a zip and this one is a collab with Comme des Garcons Shirt:

Walton SS 2019.jpg
Last summer with Boss jeans and leather Castaners

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Those FP with zips look awful.
But you look more slender than on the pyjama picture.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thoughts on bowling shirts?

Hank in ‘Breaking Bad’ had a red bowling shirt with two white vertical blocks.

1594740598061.jpeg

Maybe there are bad associations in USA (chav equivalent?) but I think they look pretty good and they are not very common in the UK.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bit rockabilly / 1950s for my tastes.
Jonny Drama used to wear these too in ‘Entourage’, as well as several old mafia blokes in Scorsese films.

I have a couple of similar style camp collar shirts which I only take on holiday with me.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking 'darts player'

I can't actually think of any American sportswear I do like.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What exactly is a bowling shirt? What sets it apart from any other short sleeved shirt? Cut, collar style, colours?
Bowling shirt, camp collar shirt, Hawaiian shirt ...

All more or less the same shape. Square cut. Meant to be untucked. Usually one or two chest pockets. Often side slits. One piece lay flat collar with ‘lapels’ which can only be done up to the top using a small loop for the top button but nobody ever does this.

So the only difference between the two - camp shirts usually one solid colour, Hawaiian shirts come in a vast variety of colours and patterns. Those Tommy Bahama type shirts could fit into either category. Bowling shirts often have panels of different colours as shown in the above pic. Some even have the team name printed on the back. Remember The Dude et al in the Big Lebowski?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads