• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought Masons dressed in black tie not black lounge for their meetings? Is that not true?

(Asking for a friend, of course!)
Your friend could buy the whole suit in some menswear shops - then terminology would not be an issue. The suits do have striped trousers though.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lazenby did look good in the black lounge @Thin White Duke That was the first Bond I saw at the pictures and I remember how stylish it seemed. The website Bondsuits says that the black lounge was the best choice for a wedding in Portugal as full morning dress would have been too warm. It also comments that it was generally falling out of favour by the 70s.

Your sister obviously still considered it suitable in the early 80s. Good stuff.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TwD, you are the lad on the left and definitely had the edge - but the truly dapper one was Bride's dad!

EDIT: left of the group but right in the picture
Thanks Luigi.
You’re right, I’m the only Blondie in the family.
I had a difficult relationship with my Dad but can’t deny some of his style markers rubbed off on me. I mention him from time to time on the blog:

This was in August 1982.
He died from cancer on December 31st 1982.
My brother-in-law (bearded) died in June 2003, two weeks before my brother (on the left of this pic) got married.
My Mam died from cancer on December 29th 2003.
All deaths were smoking-related. Sorry to be morbid but there’s a lesson there!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lazenby did look good in the black lounge @Thin White Duke That was the first Bond I saw at the pictures and I remember how stylish it seemed. The website Bondsuits says that the black lounge was the best choice for a wedding in Portugal as full morning dress would have been too warm. It also comments that it was generally falling out of favour by the 70s.

Your sister obviously still considered it suitable in the early 80s. Good stuff.
Kinda prescient Mr K as I‘ve been kicking around a Black Lounge blog post. Will give a heads up here if/when it goes to press!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Inspiring article about your Dad @Thin White Duke .
Thanks for sharing part of your family history which is smoke-related: I understand how much grief it may awaken to you. I quit with cigs four years ago but sometimes I feel my determination weakens

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think this new short sleeve shirt may be stretching the parameters of the Look.

More street perhaps, but it’s very close in look and feel to the shirts I bought from John Simons and Stirling Cooper around 1973 - 75.

It is made in Portugal in a slightly crinkly fabric and supremely comfortable to wear.

ADB95EA1-D166-44C5-B95C-973715231D53.jpeg

D21B727E-F834-4F92-B7D4-1AC93E9B2065.jpeg
Shirt - Mr P. from Mr Porter // Selvedge jeans and suede loafers - Hammond & Co. by Patrick Grant

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think this new short sleeve shirt may be stretching the parameters of the Look.

More street perhaps, but it’s very close in look and feel to the shirts I bought from John Simons and Stirling Cooper around 1973 - 75.

It is made in Portugal in a slightly crinkly fabric and supremely comfortable to wear.

View attachment 1423304

View attachment 1423305
Nice pajamas !
Would need pressing though !

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I remember something like that as 'cheesecloth'

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few pics from our recent outings to the RHS gardens in Harrogate.

Barracuta, John Simons long sleeve Madras popover, Levis, Ralph Lauren suede boots, Tom Ford shades.
IMG_9187.jpg

Levis trucker, John Simons LS Madras popover, Selvedge 501s, Spring Court hi tops, Prada shades.
IMG_9358.jpg

IMG_9359.jpg

Long hair!!
IMG_9348.jpg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice looks there @Yorky

@covskin I think cheesecloth was quite a textured cotton cloth whereas my new shirt is made from viscose and, although crinkled, has a sheen to it. Thinking about the pyjamas comment, I recall in the late 1980s reading a piece in l'Uomo Vogue entitled 'un pezzo di pyjama' IIRC. It advocated incorporating a pyjama top or bottoms into your outfit. I don't know if it ever caught on. @Luigi_M might remember.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mr Knightley , I have a vague memory of pijamas used as day cloth in late 80's, but I was in full 'dress like an old man' mood then, so I didn't pay any attention.

In 2016 Dolce & Gabbana tried a relaunch, though:

pigiamauomo.jpg

Definitely a staple in every office dress code ...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some good entires lately, and since I’m always saying we need more lifestyle shots, here’s a contribution from the weekend in front of weird tree in St. Petersburg

7A473AA8-D4CF-4ABB-B18F-491C5FF6C44B.jpeg

Tom Ford / Fred Perry / Levi’s 501 / Clark’s.

Also I did a recent blog post including musings about trainers:

C91C4179-6CB5-4C26-A449-AE5586E42DF2.jpeg

Oliver People’s / Fred Perry / Uniqlo / adidas Padiham

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this might be held as an evolution of 'the look', so feel free to comment (even harshly).

Who knows? Maybe trousers straighter cut and shirt and jacket more contrasting but that's all sounding like a totally conventional criticism really. If it works in a town in Italy then it works.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Luigi_M the only negative comment I would offer is I don't think the formality of an Oxford shoe (I appreciate they are suede) goes especially well with cotton trousers / jeans. Having said that, I do sometimes do it myself!

@Thin White Duke great to see a lifestyle picture. I like the zip-up FP. Is that a collaboration?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads