• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, @covskin , for you it's always work = suit ?
Are shoes to be always black? For me it's not the case, but curious about other experiences.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As more gentlemen answer, things become more definite - or at least less uncertain.
Please keep posting!

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, @covskin , for you it's always work = suit ?
Are shoes to be always black? For me it's not the case, but curious about other experiences.

Yes, and all my shoes are black. I was one for pushing against dress codes as far back as the 80s, went casual because I could in the 90s but was sick to death of it from the 00s.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have several suits which I wear for work.
several more I wouldn’t - purple tonic,electric blue mohair, silver sharkskin, silver grey nailhead, black, midnight blue.

four boating blazers I would never wear for work.

A load of casual gear - harringtons, monkey jackets, truckers, etc. I would never wear for work.

I also have a sort of third category between work and not work which is stuff I wear to fly to a job site but not when I get there. These are mostly cotton / linen blazers, linen strides, sta pressts, driving mocs, popovers casual shirts etc. Sometimes the jacket will get recycled into a business outfit later in the trip with a shirt and tie, maybe on the last day when I’m flying home.

Swampster

Reaction score
I have a lot of leeway in what I wear at work - a collar is really expected and jeans wouldn't be okay. I go as the whim and the weather take me though I might wear older clothes some days if I know things might get a bit messier.
So work for me can be chinos and polo shirt, perhaps with a jacket of some sort. Winter may see flannels or moleskins if it is colder, sometimes even cords. Other days I may go for a suit. I wear polo shirts less than I used to - more often a OCBD or more formal shirt, sometimes with french cuffs if the fancy takes me. I wear ties most days if I'm not in a polo shirt but in a variety of types and widths. I do like a square end knitted tie, but have a reasonable variety.
I wear brogues more often than anything else - partly because most of the shoes which fit me are made that way. These cover a range of colours including tan, brown, black and one pair of navy.

Casually, I wear jeans fairly often but less than I used to. The cords and chinos get more of a showing. Most of my jackets are suitable for casual wear as well as work - I think there are only a couple which have only been worn casually such as a black and white houndstooth. I am more likely to wear a polo shirt if I am shopping etc. rather than going for an evening out.
I have a couple of pairs of boots which I have worn to work in the winter but I wear more for casual.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I work mainly in healthcare and the public sector as a consultant / trainer / facilitator. I am self employed so claim some leeway in the way I dress.

I suppose that I have always dressed more formally than was really necessary. Even a stroller / black lounge in the office on a normal kind of day.

But the current crisis has changed everything. Events are now virtual affairs and visits to the office are rare. So, right now there is crossover between work and non-work. If I was to go to London for a meeting in the autumn I should wear navy suit, white shirt, grenadine tie, white square, Albert Thurston braces and Oxford shoes. But that event will almost certainly be a virtual one and I shall wear ocbd and chinos or other trousers, perhaps something nicer like bespoke dogtooth and Church’s Grecian slippers.

Some recent lockdown looks which cover day into evening as required. How low we have sunk.

5E158939-9B69-40CE-A1F7-CC70E5B6B89A.jpeg

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose that I have always dressed more formally than was really necessary. Even a stroller / black lounge in the office on a normal kind of day.

Seriously?

I have only ever seen Captains Peacock and Mannering in that dress.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Seriously?

I have only ever seen Captains Peacock and Mannering in that dress.
That said, if you are in the masons and are in the vicinity of Great Queen Street on the first Thursday of the month, carrying an unusual-shaped briefcase, it would make sense.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That said, if you are in the masons and are in the vicinity of Great Queen Street on the first Thursday of the month, carrying an unusual-shaped briefcase, it would make sense.

I thought Masons dressed in black tie not black lounge for their meetings? Is that not true?

(Asking for a friend, of course!)

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kingstonian I don’t wear a black lounge very often, but I do like to from time-to-time. It seems a great shame to me that semi-formal day wear is moribund, where when we come to evening clothes, it is the semi-formal black tie that has become the standard. As you say, it’s rarely seen these days and, by the time of Capt Peacock, it was becoming an anachronism. In the days of Dad’s Army it would still have been appropriate business wear for senior men.

I don’t know much about Masonic practices, but all the masons I have known sported the black lounge for their meetings , @Thin White Duke .

Pre lockdown:
6C41B781-4E31-40CE-AD84-A53F1F87BD4B.jpeg

Oneflewover

Reaction score
@Kingstonian I don’t wear a black lounge very often, but I do like to from time-to-time. It seems a great shame to me that semi-formal day wear is moribund, where when we come to evening clothes, it is the semi-formal black tie that has become the standard. As you say, it’s rarely seen these days and, by the time of Capt Peacock, it was becoming an anachronism. In the days of Dad’s Army it would still have been appropriate business wear for senior men.

I don’t know much about Masonic practices, but all the masons I have known sported the black lounge for their meetings , @Thin White Duke .

Pre lockdown:
View attachment 1422305
Stretching the look a bit :)
Does that pinstripe in the trousers have a name?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
TwD, you are the lad on the left and definitely had the edge - but the truly dapper one was Bride's dad!

EDIT: left of the group but right in the picture

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads