• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just bought a pair of Trickers Abingdon split toe in brown Museum calf. I used a credit card for safety.

There was talk a few pages back about Gibsons. The Trickers do not have a 180 degree storm welt. The comparison is more with an Edward Green Dover. For that reason, I am not sure if that many here will be interested.

I had been after that style but not prepared to pay Edward Green Dover money. On the other hand, the Trickers do not claim to have uppers stitched with a boars bristle by ancient Cordwainers. They still seem good enough to me though and they are a sixth of the price of the Dovers.

The Trickers were half price and well done. They do not turn up at the front like some other English brands in this style and the split toe is not too elongated in the French manner.

I have John Lobb Chapel in brown Museum calf. At one time only Lobb seemed to use it, but it’s more widespread now. Lobb leather seems better and it is a more uniform less noticeably mottled colour. I got the Lobbs years ago at the factory shop for a sensible price. In subsequent visits they mostly had loafers. Customers were mostly foreigners including Japanese who would be OK for smaller sizes.

Like many, I have plenty of shoes. Arguably too many but these were a bargain and will get used. None of my Trickers are country shoes. Plain veldtschoen suit me better for country wear. Getting mud and grit out of commando soles is tiresome enough without removing mud from broguing. Fashionable tan colours are not really practical for mud either.

Here are some crappy photos :-

View attachment 1387363 View attachment 1387364 View attachment 1387363 View attachment 1387364 View attachment 1387366 View attachment 1387363 View attachment 1387364 View attachment 1387366

John Lobb surely the best quality shoemakers ?
I was looking at the Trickers James,its looks a really nice Loafer,but £400 for Loafers is too much for me.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bomber jacket
1589388229685.png

I saw this one,GAP wanted £90 and I wasn't paying that but the following week I was in Bath and noticed that they had a 50% off sale that day so I bought it.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
1589388627188.png

My other bomber jacket,I don't think that I worn it for 20 years but every time I cull my clothes and its on the pile to go, someone ,either my son or my significant other say 'that's too good to get rid of'...so back in the cupboard it goes.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather MA-1s - always thought they were a decent looking jacket but never enough to pull the trigger on one. It’s a nice looking bit of kit there anyway so you should look for more opportunities to dust it off!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Lobb surely the best quality shoemakers ?
I was looking at the Trickers James,its looks a really nice Loafer,but £400 for Loafers is too much for me.
John Lobb have some styles that I really like. The Chapel double monk is a wholecut and I was very keen on it. Other shoes I liked they discontinued.

Trickers James has a 180 storm welt plus a lot going on behind the heel. I prefer a less busy loafer. Trickers factory shop had a really informative chap manning it. He has retired and the location of the factory shop moved too - but it’s still worth a visit. Lobb lady was very helpful, as was Churchs. Crockett and Jones only open Friday Saturday and it was not as good a service, though they had plenty of stock on offer.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1388139
My other bomber jacket,I don't think that I worn it for 20 years but every time I cull my clothes and its on the pile to go, someone ,either my son or my significant other say 'that's too good to get rid of'...so back in the cupboard it goes.
I had an 80s bomber jacket I bought in Turkey. Nice soft leather. But it was the style that had sleeves that are too long. And the leather was grey. It went to the charity shop.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
View attachment 1388139
That's quite a nice jacket ! Never had a Bomber in leather but in suede yes.
:fonz:

I went to C&J today, but the shop was still closed. They had the Pembrokes in the window display though, that i wanted to see again.
Then i went to Finsbury to have another look at the Barton (longwings). I am afraid to say that i find the leather (grain) and craftsmanship very similar to the C&J :blush:( except the Pembroke is an English brogue), both have Dainite soles.
The price is very different though.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Hot topic for the new Friday Challenge, that also allows the ones who want to stay anonymous to post an entry...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@cerneabbas i went this morning to a nice small shoe shop where they have a selection of interesting Brit, American, and french brands.
They had the same black grain longwings that you and @ShortBackAndSides bought ! Except they are not branded "Sanders for Jigsaw" but just Sanders. With the Ithside sole. Lovely.

sanders longwings 2.jpg

The other brown ones are the same but in calf not grain.

sanders 2.jpg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cerneabbas i went this morning to a nice small shoe shop where they have a selection of interesting Brit, American, and french brands.
They had the same black grain longwings that you and @ShortBackAndSides bought ! Except they are not branded "Sanders for Jigsaw" but just Sanders. With the Ithside sole. Lovely.

View attachment 1388618
The other brown ones are the same but in calf not grain.

View attachment 1388619
What were prices like? Sanders hi top are usually quite dear unless you are lucky and find them in Blackmans, off Brick Lane. Would not mind a pair in snuff suede. I have navy which is nearly black. Would size up. Not that much room in the toe box. Would also buy a Clark’s desert boot at a sensible price. I usually buy Roamers but the soles don’t last long before the honeycomb base shows through.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What were prices like? Sanders hi top are usually quite dear unless you are lucky and find them in Blackmans, off Brick Lane. Would not mind a pair in snuff suede. I have navy which is nearly black. Would size up. Not that much room in the toe box. Would also buy a Clark’s desert boot at a sensible price. I usually buy Roamers but the soles don’t last long before the honeycomb base shows through.
The Hi-Tops are at €235, they are usually at 30% off during the sales.

The Sanders Longwings are at €320, so @cerneabbas made a bargain with his (£135 on eBay IIRC ?)

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather MA-1s - always thought they were a decent looking jacket but never enough to pull the trigger on one. It’s a nice looking bit of kit there anyway so you should look for more opportunities to dust it off!
The problems that I have with that jacket are that it doesn't fit in with the clothes that I wear now (whereas a Harrington does) and that I don't find it age appropriate.
Yorky made a good point about culling some of his clothes in his late 20s,maybe we should all do that every 7 or 10 years ? Some styles suit teenagers but not blokes in their 30s and certainly not in their 40s 50s or 60s. Mind you I don't feel elderly enough for this colour yet so it stays in the back of the cupboard for a while longer.
1589479732716.png

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Hi-Tops are at €235, they are usually at 30% off during the sales.

The Sanders Longwings are at €320, so @cerneabbas made a bargain with his (£135 on eBay IIRC ?)
Strange that the Longwings don't seem to be available here, I think that I paid £115 it was a good price.
I would recommend taking your normal size although they do look big (the size 10UK is 13 inches long) don't size down.
With 30% off they would be £200 and I think that is a very good price when you look around and see what else is available and their prices.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes the Sanders Hi-Top are difficult to find at bargain price (on the contrary to Clarks or Astorflex DBs). I like them BUT the huge crepe soles stop me, they remind me too much of Creepers i had in the 80s.

Hi-Tops.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads