• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I did! But I wasn't a skinhead yet(plus up to a certain point, I wore what my parents told me to). In South Boston and other poor White ghettos, Baracutas and Adidas Gazelle were THE thing to wear in the early to mid '80s. Some wore their 'Cuta inside-out to show off the authentic label.
That's interesting and i know they were sold in USA then but sometimes made in Hong Kong for Van Heusen IIRC ! Quite popular among the Ivy stylists. I wonder if some were still MiE at this time (even if it's an English brand).
All i remember is that the first Harringtons i bought in London around 1980 had no brands and looked like the cheap versions you still find today. Rather slim fit. Polycotton, no back vent and Stewart Tartan...
I suppose though that in some "in the know" shops like JS you could maybe find Baracutas...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a vague recollection of seeing the Frazer tartan sometime in the 80s and hearing the name Baracuta too, but nothing more.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
We know the Baracuta G9 was created in Manchester late 30s by the Miller brothers, then one left for USA in 1950 where the G9 became popular in the Ivy League Universities, and among the actors and celebrities.
Now what happened in UK during the 50s and later with the brand ? Was it still produced in Manchester ? We know that John Simons - the man who imported Ivy Style to England and highlighted American clothing - sold the jacket late 60s in his shop and nicknamed it "Harrington" (we all know the story). Still, if you look at pictures of original skinheads, if you see a lot of Harringtons, not many with the distinctive Fraser Tartan...
And then... nothing, until 2005 when the brand was "re-launched"...
Then it was bought by the Italian Group Lavori in 2012.
So while i suppose you could still find Baracuta G9s in the USA - made under license - in the 70s, 80s, and 90s, it was not the case in England.
Only someone from the trade could tell us if there was still a production of the jackets from the beginning to today in Manchester or not.

Labels from Vintage Baracuta G9s (made in Taiwan and Hong kong !)

black-vintage-g9-harrington-mens-jacket-size-14-l-10-0-960-960.jpg

vintage-baracuta-harrington-biege_360_62efdafe76bf0feadf115199cd158020.jpg

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Clouseau , really good article, full of facts I wasn't aware of.
I like the refrain "we know" too - quite lawyerish: "as this most honourable Court perfectly knows, etc. etc. etc."

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skinheads in the 1960s wore Harringtons. The Baracuta brand was not well known. Harringtons were a London thing during the Sixties. So I was asked in Portsmouth - not that far from London - in the 1970s where I got mine. Thus reinforcing my view that there was just London and everywhere else was clueless - sewn up boxpleats, crap shoes etc.

A typical example of a 60s Harrington is the Ben Nevis one. Though mine did not have that branding. Still made in London too, with raglan sleeves and reasonably priced. Black seemed to be the default colour.

I tried an Italian Baracuta in Shoreditch a year or two ago. Horrible fit in both the nearest sizes to what I usually take. Terrible handle on the cloth too - almost slimey.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I can't resist to post this superb picture from the Japanese photographer Masahide Tomikoshi, shot in Manchester, Baracuta hometown. The three kids on the left (one is a bit hidden) sport Harringtons, but no Baracutas in sight !

Old trafford 1971.jpg

Old Trafford, 1971

What i called the "cheap knock-offs" that i bought in 1980 might have been Ben Nevis. Bought them in London, a black and a red. They cost me £9,99 each.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beautiful photo Inspector - somehow moving I'd say.
Now, let's compare the young lads pictured in it with the models on the Harrington Italian site.
They look serious, manly, young but aware of what's around them, and I'd be very proud if my son looked like them (actually he doesn't go too far, lucky me).
In the Harrington site, instead, we find ridiculously priced items worn by by vacuous, air headed guys of uncertain sexuality ...
Mala tempora currunt.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's a very interesting article, Inspector. I didn't know a lot of that. When I bought my (only) G9 in 2008 I assumed they had been around for many years but, from what you say, the brand may only have been relaunched in the UK a year or two before.

As you all know, I was a regular visitor to the JS shops in the late 60s and early 70s and, although I remember the harringtons, most of my crowd had the ones described by @Kingstonian - often purchased from Millets. A rich friend did have a beige harrington from JS, which was a finer quality than most we had, but I shouldn't like to say it was definitely a Baracuta.

The main reason to visit JS in those days was for shirts and shoes. Later, I would buy trousers and knitwear from him, but by then (around 1971) the harrington was very old hat.

Turning to the fit of the harrington. We were all pretty skinny aged 16-18 and our clothes, although slim-fitting, were never tight. In fact, I recall the fit of our harringtons was rather like the example @Yorky put up recently. It so happens I wore my G9 yesterday. I guess the fit is fuller than some of you like:
G9 07 04 20.jpg
Shirt, Hawes & Curtis / Knitwear, Pringle / Jeans, Hammond & Co. by Patrick Grant / Shades, Persol / Sneakers, Lanvin

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
That's a very interesting article, Inspector. I didn't know a lot of that. When I bought my (only) G9 in 2008 I assumed they had been around for many years but, from what you say, the brand may only have been relaunched in the UK a year or two before.

As you all know, I was a regular visitor to the JS shops in the late 60s and early 70s and, although I remember the harringtons, most of my crowd had the ones described by @Kingstonian - often purchased from Millets. A rich friend did have a beige harrington from JS, which was a finer quality than most we had, but I shouldn't like to say it was definitely a Baracuta.

The main reason to visit JS in those days was for shirts and shoes. Later, I would buy trousers and knitwear from him, but by then (around 1971) the harrington was very old hat.

Turning to the fit of the harrington. We were all pretty skinny aged 16-18 and our clothes, although slim-fitting, were never tight. In fact, I recall the fit of our harringtons was rather like the example @Yorky put up recently. It so happens I wore my G9 yesterday. I guess the fit is fuller than some of you like:
View attachment 1367843
Shirt, Hawes & Curtis / Knitwear, Pringle / Jeans, Hammond & Co. by Patrick Grant / Shades, Persol / Sneakers, Lanvin
Thanks Mr K. Well there is a gap in Baracuta communication/marketing so i suppose (but i am not sure) that probably they still licensed their products (Van Heusen and probably others) in USA, but didnt made them in UK for a while.
Now there is also the possibility that a few were still made in Manchester ?
I know your lot prefer them blousy (MoM also does) but it was not the case of mine. In the 80s we ("skins") liked them with a pretty snug fit and i still like them this way.
Now as i said as usual, each to his own...
Looking at the new products on the Baracuta website there is a new G9 called "Peyton Place" (a nod to Rodney Harrington) with a super blousy fit !
I have the impression Lavori is wrong in doing too many products and fits.
They should concentrate on the classic G9, G4, and G10 Imho. Wouldnt be surprised if they had financial problems soon, even more with the sad situation we have in Europe at the moment.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m with you on this one @Clouseau.
They can look blousey and that may have been intentional originally as golf jackets, but I prefer Harringtons and monkey jackets to fit slim.

Also my pet hate is hands in pockets, especially blouson jackets and parkas. It seems like the default pose is to always walk around with hands in pockets, particularly with these two styles of coats and it looks crap, like you’re eight months pregnant. As a kid my Mam always said it was bad manners to have your hands in your pockets. I can’t say I always followed this dictum especially in my youth but I mostly do now.

Here are a couple of pics of my Dad in 1968. If he ever called this jacket anything he may have called it his golf jacket. It had one flapped pocket towards the rear which I suppose was to keep balls in and not interfere with his swing. He had played a bit of golf in his youth I think but not around this time. Anyway notice it fits fairly slim. It’s what we’d now call a monkey jacket - off white cotton with navy knitted trim at collar, cuffs and hems.

9D88281F-F836-4C85-AB2C-76011E396CD4.jpeg
1A66E04F-966A-4649-88D8-EB3717E0E9FD.jpeg

andyf

Reaction score
I can't resist to post this superb picture from the Japanese photographer Masahide Tomikoshi, shot in Manchester, Baracuta hometown. The three kids on the left (one is a bit hidden) sport Harringtons, but no Baracutas in sight !

View attachment 1367808

Old Trafford, 1971

What i called the "cheap knock-offs" that i bought in 1980 might have been Ben Nevis. Bought them in London, a black and a red. They cost me £9,99 each.
Think the one I brought around 1980 was a Ben nevis. Cheap knock-off from the market.
think the only colours that were popular then were black or red. Certainly only colours I saw around that time.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Think the one I brought around 1980 was a Ben nevis. Cheap knock-off from the market.
think the only colours that were popular then were black or red. Certainly only colours I saw around that time.
Yes exactly. Red and black... the one i bought (from a market stall too i think ) had no brand but looked exactly like the Ben Nevis. They last a long time, even if it was not great quality !

andyf

Reaction score
It was black and had a nylon or synthetic printed tartan lining. The outer of which was very hard wearing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads