• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a teen in a small province town in Italy I liked to dress the way I thought young Brits dressed ...
Many years after, sometimes I still feel young at heart and try to revive that look: slim trousers, brogues and a coat (that only now I'm aware is known as 'Harrington jacket').
I recently treated me to a vintage DAKS simil-Harrington in a bolder colour than my usual blue.
Only recent addition are the Police spectacles (with prescription lenses :-().
I submit my look to your judgement.
Feel free to be harsh.

View attachment 1367384

Clean look, @Luigi_M . Your photo reminds me of a friend from East London(“T.H.”) who was involved in the original Oi! scene.
Criticism? Wearing closed-laced brogues with a very casual ensemble is something I wouldn’t wear(I’d go for longwing bluchers), but that’s as harsh as I’ll get.

@Yorky good looks, especially with the sky FP monkey jacket and olive green chinos. The cycle gear, well hey it ain’t very cool looking but surely it’s practical and comfortable.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Not a big fan of MJ TBH (especially in that sky blue color) you have to be the slender type and to wear them fitted to get away with it, only lad that wears them well on this side of the Board is @Thin White Duke.

Luigi's Brogues look fine to me, as they seem to have a slim last they pair well with the slim trousers IMO.

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like it too @Luigi_M

Personally, I would not go quite so slim on the trousers, but I appreciate that's about personal taste.

@Yorky I grew up watching Ian Carmichael playing Bertie Wooster in 'The World of Wooster' with an older Jeeves than we are used to, played by Dennis Price. Some people say it is closer to the books than the 1990's incarnation. It was this 'English Gent' look that had a big influence on us at the time. We even tried to capture some of the upper class language and 'What Ho' became a very common greeting in the late 60s.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Gentlemen: all points taken.
If I got so much positive opinions as a teen, I'd have grown a couple inches taller.
Instead I was considered by the other boys as 'the guy who dresses strange' - but I managed to turn this in bonus points with chicks...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Clean look, @Luigi_M . Your photo reminds me of a friend from East London(“T.H.”) who was involved in the original Oi! scene.
Criticism? Wearing closed-laced brogues with a very casual ensemble is something I wouldn’t wear(I’d go for longwing bluchers), but that’s as harsh as I’ll get.

@Yorky good looks, especially with the sky FP monkey jacket and olive green chinos. The cycle gear, well hey it ain’t very cool looking but surely it’s practical and comfortable.
@Luigi_M I agree with @Botolph regarding the outfit, it is a good look, but I would go for longwings.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not a big fan of MJ TBH (especially in that sky blue color) you have to be the slender type and to wear them fitted to get away with it, only lad that wears them well on this side of the Board is @Thin White Duke.

Luigi's Brogues look fine to me, as they seem to have a slim last they pair well with the slim trousers IMO.
@Clouseau, is it the MJ or Harrington that you are referring to? The MJ was a cheap buy bought because it was fleece lined and warm for an evening stroll, if it's the Harrington, I disagree, as the have never been designed to be fitted, due to their original purpose, to play golf in.
And we don't all have a waif like figure anymore, you need a bit of timber on you as you get older.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Clouseau, is it the MJ or Harrington that you are referring to? The MJ was a cheap buy bought because it was fleece lined and warm for an evening stroll, if it's the Harrington, I disagree, as the have never been designed to be fitted, due to their original purpose, to play golf in.
And we don't all have a waif like figure anymore, you need a bit of timber on you as you get older.
I mixed colors but i dont like both fits. Too blousy for me. Each to his own etc.
Do you play golf ? Because otherwise your comment is meaningless. I never liked blousy Harringtons. The cheap knockoffs we had in the 80s were rather slim. I had my first Baracuta something like 10 years ago and it's a slimfit. The Lavori fit is rather fitted too...
Well a matter of taste and balance. I dont like too fitted clothing either...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't know what people think of the new Friday Challenge, but it doesn't work for me, I very rarely wear a tie and certainly not at home, with inappropriate clothing, I know it's just a bit of fun, but it could be better.
Also on a different note @Mr Knightley, it's good to see that you are taking exercise with your new exercise bike, I ventured out yesterday on my bike, the 1st time since last summer, after a 2nd hernia operation.
A few pics of me taking our permitted daily exercise.
Not a good look.
View attachment 1367329

Prada shades, Barracuta, Gant BD, Brooks Brothers Khakis, Grafters monkey boots.
View attachment 1367328

Hugo Boss shades, Fred Perry monkey jacket (different material to the stranded FP monkey),Gant BD, BB Khakis, Leather Converse Jack Purcell sneakers.
View attachment 1367327
Not clothes related but really lovely neck of the woods you live near!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not clothes related but really lovely neck of the woods you live near!
Cheers. Lots of open countryside, but the bonus is I live on the outskirts of a town and Leeds city is only 20 minutes away by car.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mixed colors but i dont like both fits. Too blousy for me. Each to his own etc.
Do you play golf ? Because otherwise your comment is meaningless. I never liked blousy Harringtons. The cheap knockoffs we had in the 80s were rather slim. I had my first Baracuta something like 10 years ago and it's a slimfit. The Lavori fit is rather fitted too...
Well a matter of taste and balance. I dont like too fitted clothing either...
No golf spoils a good walk, and you hit the nail on the head with"cheap knockoffs "

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well at least they had a good fit !
Almost No one wore a real Baracuta in the 80s as far as i remember.

I did! But I wasn't a skinhead yet(plus up to a certain point, I wore what my parents told me to). In South Boston and other poor White ghettos, Baracutas and Adidas Gazelle were THE thing to wear in the early to mid '80s. Some wore their 'Cuta inside-out to show off the authentic label.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cheers. Lots of open countryside, but the bonus is I live on the outskirts of a town and Leeds city is only 20 minutes away by car.
I loved my time at Leeds. Great city and going along with what you say, one of the best things about it is that a short drive in just about any direction and you’re in great countryside. And if I wanted to go home from Headingley - a short walk up to the ring road and stick me thumb out and I could be home in 2 to 3 hours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads