• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Mr K, did you had some famous "Royals" they sold at the Ivy shop, Squire shop,Timpson's etc? If you did were they not your favourite ones ?
I had two pairs of Royals - black long wings that I bought from the Squire Shop in a/w 1969 / 70 and a pair of plains in burgundy from spring 1970. I liked the brogues a lot but preferred the plains, TBH. My favourite shoes from that time were some black loafers from the Bronx Shop in Ilford which were of a similar quality to Royals.

I do still want to get some more long wings, as I only have the Florsheim ones at the moment.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had two pairs of Royals - black long wings that I bought from the Squire Shop in a/w 1969 / 70 and a pair of plains in burgundy from spring 1970. I liked the brogues a lot but preferred the plains, TBH. My favourite shoes from that time were some black loafers from the Bronx Shop in Ilford which were of a similar quality to Royals.

I do still want to get some more long wings, as I only have the Florsheim ones at the moment.
I had black plains from the Squire Shop. I did not like brogues at the time. I remember it did say ‘cordovan leather’ though that meant nothing to me at the time. I also had a pair of what they used to call Gibson’s in brown -basically a shoe with an apron, but not such a pronounced split toe as you commonly see today. I also had various loafers which should really have been cheaper but he always charged the same for everything.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had black plains from the Squire Shop. I did not like brogues at the time. I remember it did say ‘cordovan leather’ though that meant nothing to me at the time. I also had a pair of what they used to call Gibson’s in brown -basically a shoe with an apron, but not such a pronounced split toe as you commonly see today. I also had various loafers which should really have been cheaper but he always charged the same for everything.
I remember the‘Gibson’. A much rarer sight than the brogues, plains and loafers. My friend had a pair in brown grain and was the envy of all the guys. Yes, he charged the same as you say!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Some images i collected from the shoes sold at the Squire shop (and other JSimons shops) then. (Longwings, Gibsons, Tassels, Smooths)

Royals brogues 1.JPG

Royals Gibson.jpg

Royals Loafers.jpeg

Royals S.jpeg

Royals1.jpeg

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Squire Shop Royals Gibsons.jpg

Attachments

• Royals smooths.jpg
    Royals smooths.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Royals smooth.jpeg
    Royals smooth.jpeg
    136.7 KB · Views: 36

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you had to retain only one brand among the brogues you had, which one would it be ?

Only ever had one pair of brogues, black longwings of course, made by John White (the name of one of my best mates in primary school)

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some images i collected from the shoes sold at the Squire shop (and other JSimons shops) then. (Longwings, Gibsons, Tassels, Smooths)

View attachment 1364305

View attachment 1364306

View attachment 1364307

View attachment 1364308

View attachment 1364309
I didn't recall the little perferations on the loafers, nor the fact that they bore the Timpsons motif. That description of the Squire Shop was spot on - when ever I went there I always came away wanting to throw out my entire wardrobe of pre-JS days.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMG_20200401_173414.jpg

Guernsey Woollens, navy

nice and heavy, repels water, detail minimal, high and straight neckline, simple colour, smooth neat lambswool texture, one heavy jumper for everything

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I didn't recall the little perferations on the loafers, nor the fact that they bore the Timpsons motif.
I suppose those were sold directly by Timpsons ?

Yes me too, only got the Loake Royals. I would be interested by a pair with dainite soles, not many options apart the AS and the Loakes (any other ideas?), but i noticed these Finsbury Barton, with dainite soles, the price is very reasonable and if they are in sales they will come cheap...

derby-barton-cuir-graine-marron.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They look good, I have a bit of a soft spot for grain leather. My Cheaney pennies are in a similar colour and grain.

I suppose my favourite brogues are my AE burgundy shells.

When I was at school my school shoes for the second year towards the end of the seventies were black brogues which I put loads of segs and blakeys in so they clip clopped when I walked around the school’s cement floored corridors. I THINK they were longwings, maybe just full brogue wingtips which may be why I lean towards that style now.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose those were sold directly by Timpsons ?

Yes me too, only got the Loake Royals. I would be interested by a pair with dainite soles, not many options apart the AS and the Loakes (any other ideas?)

I have the Herring Northfields, which aren’t Aldens, Florsheim, or A.S., but are sturdy brogues which for a time I rotated two pair almost every day. Very comfy, the leather is decent, and though they have the dreaded seam— the price point reflects that one flaw.

6066769D-A6E0-4CF9-8E67-8C5FD64EA9B7.jpeg

F0CAB619-DDFA-4E30-8D65-A0FF99CCE1B3.jpeg F7E8E897-CEE3-47A1-8459-ACB0E3E0647A.jpeg 292942B1-66B0-4D82-B3E6-0C82D6485EAA.jpeg 1CBBDCA2-2731-40D0-A314-BB7F6F5BE6A2.jpeg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys the Friday Challenge voting has started with three of your ‘favourites’ representing the Look - sort of:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads