• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I had a look at the Bostonian,I don't like the shape and I would be wary of the quality from Clarks.
As you have said you like the shape of Trickers brogues (as I have said I don't) there are lots of Trickers in sales and there will be more,you know what you will get from Trickers and I think they would be your best bet.
Well they are made in USA not by Clarks, but anyway there is two downside : the problem with US orders here, and the fact that i want my next brogues with Dainite soles.
So yes i think the Tricker's Bourton are the best for me ! I was also interested with the Barker Grassington, but not totally convinced by the color offerings.
I like the Bourton in "Espresso"

trickers-bourton_espresso_dainite-725_hd.jpg

Last edited:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looked up the Alfred Sargent Stepney and it looks nice, not too expensive either

Does it have the Mr. Knightley join?

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just looked up the Alfred Sargent Stepney and it looks nice, not too expensive either

Does it have the Mr. Knightley join?
No the AS Stepney and the Barker Grassington don't have the MrK join but you wont be surprised to hear that the £17.99 shoes do !

Have a look at Tredders they sometimes have Alfred Sargent shoes on offer,I think that there was a very similar Longwing by AS called the Romney.
Botolph has the AS Stepney and a good few other brogues so he would be the best judge of various shoes quality,comfort etc.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
No the AS Stepney and the Barker Grassington don't have the MrK join but you wont be surprised to hear that the £17.99 shoes do !

Have a look at Tredders they sometimes have Alfred Sargent shoes on offer,I think that there was a very similar Longwing by AS called the Romney.
Botolph has the AS Stepney and a good few other brogues so he would be the best judge of various shoes quality,comfort etc.
BTW did you know that Alfred Sargent was bought by a french shoe company, Bowen, and that they make shoe for them too now (under the Bowen name). Bowen is quite an interesting brand, quite good quality, they are doing some decent JM Weston copies. I am interested with their Weston loafer copy... with a Dainite sole ! But i wait for the best price...

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
BTW did you know that Alfred Sargent was bought by a french shoe company, Bowen, and that they make shoe for them too now (under the Bowen name). Bowen is quite an interesting brand, quite good quality, they are doing some decent JM Weston copies. I am interested with their Weston loafer copy... with a Dainite sole ! But i wait for the best price...

I always like the JM Weston brogues but the price is out of my range so maybe Bowen will copy them.

With Trickers the only style of theirs that I like is the 'James' a loafer with a toe seam,but £395 is too expensive for loafers imo,I have some Grenson loafers but I prefer Sebago and Bass (pull up leather) Weejuns and they are quite cheap.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I always like the JM Weston brogues but the price is out of my range so maybe Bowen will copy them.

With Trickers the only style of theirs that I like is the 'James' a loafer with a toe seam,but £395 is too expensive for loafers imo,I have some Grenson loafers but I prefer Sebago and Bass (pull up leather) Weejuns and they are quite cheap.
Yes the Weston "triple sole" are a thing of beauty, i remember a friend had them (probably still has as they seem indestructible), he considered them as ultimate brogues...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yeah, I have the Scotch Grain AS Stepneys. Dainite soles, too. Beautiful shoe, though I don't recall whether or not they possess the Mr. K seam. Also have a pair of Robinson's Andrew Jackson brogues in burnished whiskey calf. They have the seam, but whatever. They should be called Shermans because they're built like a f*cking tank!
Gotta say, my favorite brogues are my Alden No.8 color shell cordovan longwings. Leather sole, and *slightly* rounder toebox. Very, very comfortable and have a nice "patina" or whatever.
I often look at posters of, and listen to, Oi! bands while wearing them :p

I'd say the Robinson's, Alfred Sargent, and the Aldens are my favorite brogues--- Though I probably get more mileage out of my Loakes and my Herrings.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is not a great time to buy anything you don’t need.

Online purchase means firms have your money but may not be able to deliver your goods. Sadly, some firms may go bust and ownership of inventory - including goods to be dispatched - may then become an issue.

Prices will probably fall further to generate revenue when there is far less activity.
Debenhams have a 30% off sale including the Loake Birkdale in 'conker' brown...£196.
Worth a punt to save £90,pay by card and get your money back (eventually) if it goes wrong.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Debenhams have a 30% off sale including the Loake Birkdale in 'conker' brown...£196.
Worth a punt to save £90,pay by card and get your money back (eventually) if it goes wrong.
Will be interesting if you can write us a review. The color is original, what will you wear them with, did you give it a thought ?

Loake B.jpg

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Very sensible advice to use a credit card nowadays.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Those are exactly the same that the very first Longwings i had :
Dexter.jpg
Dexter USA in a kind of "grain" leather.
I didn't keep them for a long time, when i moved on from the skinhead look i gave them to one of my best friends (who was a skin at that time too).
I met him recently, and he doesn't have the single idea of what happened to them, he didn't wore them as they were too big for him !
Gee i would like to have them today ! Those Dexter were quite cheap at the time (for brogues), and were built like Sherman tanks (like would say @Botolph). they also existed in non-grain leather.

Thinking of it, i didn't had many brogues in my life finally :

Church's Chetwind in suede
(Aforementioned) Dexter
Shellys Brogues
Church's Burwood (still got them, 35 years old or maybe more, but they are at the end of their life)
Loake Royals (still got them, only longwings i had with the Dexter, all the others are "English Brogues")
Birkenstock Tatami ("Orthopaedic" as someone described them :tongue:)

The best i ever had were the Church's .

If you had to retain only one brand among the brogues you had, which one would it be ?

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are exactly the same that the very first Longwings i had :
View attachment 1364289
Dexter USA in a kind of "grain" leather.
I didn't keep them for a long time, when i moved on from the skinhead look i gave them to one of my best friends (who was a skin at that time too).
I met him recently, and he doesn't have the single idea of what happened to them, he didn't wore them as they were too big for him !
Gee i would like to have them today ! Those Dexter were quite cheap at the time (for brogues), and were built like Sherman tanks (like would say @Botolph). they also existed in non-grain leather.

Thinking of it, i didn't had many brogues in my life finally :

Church's Chetwind in suede
(Aforementioned) Dexter
Shellys Brogues
Church's Burwood (still got them, 35 years old or maybe more, but they are at the end of their life)
Loake Royals (still got them, only longwings i had with the Dexter, all the others are "English Brogues")
Birkenstock Tatami ("Orthopaedic" as someone described them :tongue:)

The best i ever had were the Church's .

If you had to retain only one brand among the brogues you had, which one would it be ?
I also had some Dexters Inspector. Mine were smooth burgundy leather. I wore them a lot in the 1980s. Sadly I no longer have mine either.

Of all my brogues, the Church’s Diplomat semi-brogues are my favourites because of their excellent quality. Also they go back to 2000 when I bought a pair for £150 from a friend who ran a small outfitters that were dropping Church’s. The rrp then was £225. In 2006 Church’s damaged them during a refurbishment so my current pair date from that time.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I also had some Dexters Inspector. Mine were smooth burgundy leather. I wore them a lot in the 1980s. Sadly I no longer have mine either.

Of all my brogues, the Church’s Diplomat semi-brogues are my favourites because of their excellent quality. Also they go back to 2000 when I bought a pair for £150 from a friend who ran a small outfitters that were dropping Church’s. The rrp then was £225. In 2006 Church’s damaged them during a refurbishment so my current pair date from that time.
Mr K, did you had some famous "Royals" they sold at the Ivy shop, Squire shop,Timpson's etc? If you did were they not your favourite ones ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads