• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thanks mate.

I decided against the Tom Ford ones! - anyway Mr P is shut as I say - and have ordered some Boss ones in navy. Quite innocuous hopefully...

But looking ahead, yes definitely some light-coloured chinos and perhaps some very simple sneakers.
I know that Uniqlo is not much liked here but their "Vintage Chinos" are very good for the (cheap) price.
Simple sneakers...hmmmm there is a discussion in a thread at the moment (as you probably saw) about Vans and Converse... Don't like them.
GATs maybe? But not the MM ones far too expensive!

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to correct a point - the @Mr Knightley join is not strictly right. It is a John Simons join. You will recall he was comparing for me a pair of original Royals and the Loake 'equivalent' a few years ago at his Covent Garden shop. It was about the time (not perhaps the same visit) that I bought my Florsheim longwings from him (c 2006).

That join seems to be present in all of the chunky Derbies offered by Loake at any price, including my newish 771s in dark brown suede with the Dainite soles. It no longer puts me off but it is a sign of cost-cutting that's all.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to correct a point - the @Mr Knightley join is not strictly right. It is a John Simons join. You will recall he was comparing for me a pair of original Royals and the Loake 'equivalent' a few years ago at his Covent Garden shop. It was about the time (not perhaps the same visit) that I bought my Florsheim longwings from him (c 2006).

That join seems to be present in all of the chunky Derbies offered by Loake at any price, including my newish 771s in dark brown suede with the Dainite soles. It no longer puts me off but it is a sign of cost-cutting that's all.
Since you were the first to mention it on tinternet, it is now universally known as ‘the Mr. Knightley join’.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To continue the shoe theme, I am not sure if we have covered longwing brogue collections or plaincaps for that matter.

I was interested to see Loake now offer an upmarket version of the Royal brogue called the Birkdale in their 1880 legacy range. Does anyone own this and have a view on it?

I do have a Loake under a different brand name with a Dainite sole and it is a revelation. Very easy to wear, the laces don’t come undone as on my Royals(probably due to less stiffness)

What I am interested in is the overall quality of this shoe. Also does it have the ‘Mr. Knightley join’ on the inside upper?
It seems to be on a different last to the Royal, so they may have abandoned this practice.

Information on Cheaney Dainite sole longwing also welcome.
I saw the Loake Birkdale in the Loake shop in London recently and I was very impressed,the 'Conker' colour is very nice and the shape (Bullet last) is excellent (imo).
Yes they have the seam on the inside but (again imo) that's a small point and I suppose it helps to keep the price down.
Now these Birkdale are £285 but are now available online in a sale for £227,I am very tempted,I have several pairs of Brogues in Longwing and 'English' styles and 3 pairs of Brogue boots so I don't NEED these Birkdales however I do like them and I don't have any Brogues in a plain leather (as opposed to grain leather) brown colour.
Of course its the wrong time to buy (which is probably why they are on sale) because I don't know if I will have any work in the future however if I don't buy them it is possible that they might not be available in future if Loake were to close down.

On the subject of Longwings v 'English' style Brogues, I have both and I like them both,my 'best' Brogues are my Alfred Sargent Stepney in Tan grain but my favourites are my Barker Grassington in Cherry grain.

At the other end of the scale I recently bought a pair of Longwings with crepe soles for £17.99 + postage from MandM direct,the shape is a bit bulbous for me but I bought them as an alternative to trainers (I only wear trainers for the gym or running now...age appropriate) they are light and ok for driving.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well it's probably the wrong time for deliveries, but i have the impression that there will be a lot of discounts in the next few weeks, sadly because of the situation.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a lot of sales at the moment and last week I bought a Sunspel Riviera in Cherry red for £67 + postage,it arrived safely and I am quite impressed,the only negative for me is that the sleeves are a bit short.
I think that's all I wanted for the Summer except for a pair of shorts,there is a pair by Sunspel that I like except they have a drawstring waist.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Those "drawstring waist" seem to be "fashionable" these days, there is one on my UU suit trousers, BTW the same designer (Christophe Lemaire) did a suit for a Sunspel collection last year.
i quite liked a Sunspel fawn suit i saw in their shop recently, the trousers also has a drawstring waist. But well all their items are too expensive IMO.

You paid a good price for the Riviera though.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those "drawstring waist" seem to be "fashionable" these days, there is one on my UU suit trousers, BTW the same designer (Christophe Lemaire) did a suit for a Sunspel collection last year.
i quite liked a Sunspel fawn suit i saw in their shop recently, the trousers also has a drawstring waist. But well all their items are too expensive IMO.

You paid a good price for the Riviera though.
Yes it was a good price but its probably over priced at the full price.
There do seem to be a lot of drawstring waists about on Linen trousers and shorts, I am not keen on them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes it was a good price but its probably over priced at the full price.
There do seem to be a lot of drawstring waists about on Linen trousers and shorts, I am not keen on them.
Yep i don't like them, first one on my UU suit, but is was very cheap, and doesn't look too bad, like they say on the SW&D board, a good "beater" suit...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I saw the Loake Birkdale in the Loake shop in London recently and I was very impressed,the 'Conker' colour is very nice and the shape (Bullet last) is excellent (imo).
Yes they have the seam on the inside but (again imo) that's a small point and I suppose it helps to keep the price down.
Now these Birkdale are £285 but are now available online in a sale for £227,I am very tempted,I have several pairs of Brogues in Longwing and 'English' styles and 3 pairs of Brogue boots so I don't NEED these Birkdales however I do like them and I don't have any Brogues in a plain leather (as opposed to grain leather) brown colour.
Of course its the wrong time to buy (which is probably why they are on sale) because I don't know if I will have any work in the future however if I don't buy them it is possible that they might not be available in future if Loake were to close down.

On the subject of Longwings v 'English' style Brogues, I have both and I like them both,my 'best' Brogues are my Alfred Sargent Stepney in Tan grain but my favourites are my Barker Grassington in Cherry grain.

At the other end of the scale I recently bought a pair of Longwings with crepe soles for £17.99 + postage from MandM direct,the shape is a bit bulbous for me but I bought them as an alternative to trainers (I only wear trainers for the gym or running now...age appropriate) they are light and ok for driving.
Did you had a look at the Bostonian longwings ? I quite like them, the price is very interesting at the mo, problem is they come from USA, they are made in NY, and there is a lockdown there too..

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longwings are my favourite style of brogue. Remember they were originally country shoes so look better on the clunky side to me. Those smoothed out oxford style that people wear with conservative business dress don’t work for me, like painting glitter on the claws of a Rootweiler!

I have them in black calf and burgundy shell, both AE McNeils which won’t be much use to you lot in England / Europe. I don’t think I paid full price for either. Good shoes, take a bit of breaking in but they’re comfortable and feel like they’re bulletproof!
I suppose that originally all country brogues were brown but when brogues started to be worn in 'town' black ones became available.
I have black longwings,black brogue boots and (like my black Weejuns) I wear them the least.
I agree about longwing oxfords,they do look strange.
I like 'heavy' brogues but I am not a fan of the shape of Trickers,I also dont like metal eyelets on shoes,dont mind them on boots.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I suppose that originally all country brogues were brown but when brogues started to be worn in 'town' black ones became available.
I have black longwings,black brogue boots and (like my black Weejuns) I wear them the least.
I agree about longwing oxfords,they do look strange.
I like 'heavy' brogues but I am not a fan of the shape of Trickers,I also dont like metal eyelets on shoes,dont mind them on boots.
yes i agree that blind eyelets are better, but on the chunky Tricker's Bourton i don't mind them as long as they are of the same color than the shoes. Anyway i find the Bourton rather "country" style and i would probably mainly wear them with jeans !

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you had a look at the Bostonian longwings ? I quite like them, the price is very interesting at the mo, problem is they come from USA, they are made in NY, and there is a lockdown there too..
I had a look at the Bostonian,I don't like the shape and I would be wary of the quality from Clarks.
As you have said you like the shape of Trickers brogues (as I have said I don't) there are lots of Trickers in sales and there will be more,you know what you will get from Trickers and I think they would be your best bet.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it is not a great time to buy anything you don’t need.

Online purchase means firms have your money but may not be able to deliver your goods. Sadly, some firms may go bust and ownership of inventory - including goods to be dispatched - may then become an issue.

Prices will probably fall further to generate revenue when there is far less activity.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads