• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the Longwing topic, Clarks USA are re-doing the Bostonian collection and they offer a very nice Longwing, actually at half price on the Clarks USA website. They are Made in USA, and have a leather sole. Nice last and leather.
(in Black or Burgundy)
Interesting. You are in Allen Edmonds/Alden territory though with import fees - unless you buy on a visit. As an aside, I have always thought of Clarks primarily for suede shoes. They used to run K shoes, based in the Lake District, which was traditional leather shoes. More sensible shoes though - earnest and good value rather than stylish.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you are the one who says you are still a mod (at nearly 60, grow up a bit !) and that wanted to put a "playlist", so explain me.

Well the Cox MB have a plastic sole actually. Anyway i won't ever buy MB again, definitely not age appropriate, like checked harringtons or... bérets :-D
Nowhere near 60, to me mod has always been a lifestyle choice, more than a label, I stopped attending mod events, before I felt that I was too old, but still continued to develop my own style.
You appear to be talking Bellox at the moment, maybe you are going stir crazy.?
No such thing as mod music either, only music that mods listen to and certainly not Oi ****.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Interesting. You are in Allen Edmonds/Alden territory though with import fees - unless you buy on a visit. As an aside, I have always thought of Clarks primarily for suede shoes. They used to run K shoes, based in the Lake District, which was traditional leather shoes. More sensible shoes though - earnest and good value rather than stylish.
Yes agree with that, i don't know much about Bostonian history, did they exist before Clarks (they bought them i think ?) They are indeed in AE/Alden territory, but interesting point at the moment is their price...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Nowhere near 60, to me mod has always been a lifestyle choice, more than a label, I stopped attending mod events, before I felt that I was too old, but still continued to develop my own style.
You appear to be talking Bellox at the moment, maybe you are going stir crazy.?
No such thing as mod music either, only music that mods listen to and certainly not Oi ****.
you are so predictable that it's funny :laugh:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've got both the Loake Royal, and the Sovereign with the dainite sole, same shoes different sole. I have worn the Sovereigns a lot more, as I mainly wear longwings in the Autumn/Winter months.
If I was buying again I would always go Dainite. I have a Topy on the Royal sole which may make them stiffer. They are not a sufficiently top quality shoe for me to wear straight out of the box and just get resoled as I would an oak bark tanned sole on Crockett and Jones.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Longwings are my favourite style of brogue. Remember they were originally country shoes so look better on the clunky side to me. Those smoothed out oxford style that people wear with conservative business dress don’t work for me, like painting glitter on the claws of a Rootweiler!

I have them in black calf and burgundy shell, both AE McNeils which won’t be much use to you lot in England / Europe. I don’t think I paid full price for either. Good shoes, take a bit of breaking in but they’re comfortable and feel like they’re bulletproof!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
If I was buying again I would always go Dainite. I have a Topy on the Royal sole which may make them stiffer. They are not a sufficiently top quality shoe for me to wear straight out of the box and just get resoled as I would an oak bark tanned sole on Crockett and Jones.
So far the brogues i had always had leather soles. Usually after a certain point i also had "Topy" style rubbers added, but not from the Topy brand because they are rather thick, that's maybe why you find your Royals stiffer. I prefer thinner ones like on those Weejuns :

Bass rubber.jpg

I also have Loake Royals and had the same type of rubber added. They are now reasonably comfy, after around ten years of wear ! Next brogues will be with Dainite soles too...

@Thin White Duke AE McNeills were one of the best Longwings options indeed, sadly i think they are discontinued.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
New topic :

Shopping (clothing) ideas for "after" ?

In my case :

Onitsuka Tiger Tai Chi (i've got a pair in White, i want another one in Black)

A light Chino for summer. Uniqlo Vintage Chino will be perfect (yes Orslow is much better but i don't want to break the bank for a Chino)

Maybe a Fred Perry Ringer Tshirt, they just released some in a lot of coloUrs, i like the red.
@Clouseau Will you be buying things during the crisis for 'after' or will you wait to see how long this thing goes on?

Even shopping online is becoming more challenging. I had an email from Mr Porter saying they had closed their warehouses. Then another one today saying that you could place orders now but that the items would not be delivered for some time.

I should also like a light chino for summer in a light colour.

What about new things to help us survive the crisis? Working at home on a daily basis is stretching my current wardrobe, which has been geared to working in an office at least three days a week. I beleive you favour sweat pants for working from home, Inspector. Not something I have had since the late 80s...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So far the brogues i had always had leather soles. Usually after a certain point i also had "Topy" style rubbers added, but not from the Topy brand because they are rather thick, that's maybe why you find your Royals stiffer. I prefer thinner ones like on those Weejuns :

View attachment 1363383

I also have Loake Royals and had the same type of rubber added. They are now reasonably comfy, after around ten years of wear ! Next brogues will be with Dainite soles too...

@Thin White Duke AE McNeills were one of the best Longwings options indeed, sadly i think they are discontinued.
What about your orthopaedic brogues.?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Clouseau Will you be buying things during the crisis for 'after' or will you wait to see how long this thing goes on?

Even shopping online is becoming more challenging. I had an email from Mr Porter saying they had closed their warehouses. Then another one today saying that you could place orders now but that the items would not be delivered for some time.

I should also like a light chino for summer in a light colour.

What about new things to help us survive the crisis? Working at home on a daily basis is stretching my current wardrobe, which has been geared to working in an office at least three days a week. I beleive you favour sweat pants for working from home, Inspector. Not something I have had since the late 80s...
The post office and deliveries are still suppose to work but in fact it seems more or less stopped. I ordered things for my kids last week and nothing came yet...
So yes i was more thinking for buys made "after". In my case i go to shops 95% of the time as i live in a big city. I dont order much online except when there are bargain to be made...
Yeah i confess it is mainly Joggers/Sweat pants these days. LVCs when i have to go to shop.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
What about your orthopaedic brogues.?
Well they have a "Topy" style added too.
BTW i had a conversation with a poster about your shoes collections we both thought that we would only keep a few pairs are most are ugly (like your Baracutas, frankly the checked ones are terrible).
BTW seeing your pics as apparently you walk splay-foot you might consider orthopaedic shoes?
In my case it was just their Look i liked !

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Mr Knightley usually my joggers/sweats are for sports... But these days where you stay home most of the day they are still better looking than pajamas...
I have some from Slazenger and Champion...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Mr Knightley usually my joggers/sweats are for sports... But these days where you stay home most of the day they are still better looking than pajamas...
I have some from Slazenger and Champion...
Thanks mate.

I decided against the Tom Ford ones! - anyway Mr P is shut as I say - and have ordered some Boss ones in navy. Quite innocuous hopefully...

But looking ahead, yes definitely some light-coloured chinos and perhaps some very simple sneakers.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well they have a "Topy" style added too.
BTW i had a conversation with a poster about your shoes collections we both thought that we would only keep a few pairs are most are ugly (like your Baracutas, frankly the checked ones are terrible).
BTW seeing your pics as apparently you walk splay-foot you might consider orthopaedic shoes?
In my case it was just their Look i liked !
Couldn't give a flying f**k, and if the poster prefers to remain anonymous, maybe it's opinions are bollox as well.
By the way if you carry on talking to posters you might get locked up, what was the poster of a **** Oi band.?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads