• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the difference between a breton beret and an ‘onion seller’? - Is it the Alfalfa apple stalk coming out the top?

Sometimes they can look OK but it’s a bold move. Gotta avoid that Frank Spencer association. They don’t really work with my spikey barnet.

Several years ago the US army allowed all troops to wear berets when previously they had been reserved for special forces /rangers / airborne. They are a big step up from either the baseball cap or the c**t cap in theory, but the yanks wear them all shrunk down like a yarmulke with just a little TinTin peak with their regiment/rank badge. Looks bloody ridiculous and I think they’re being rescinded, probably as a result of that stupid habit.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
20200212_174218.jpg

14.5 oz. Cone Mills

andyf

Reaction score
Haircuts. Not had to worry about a barber for years. Shave my own hair as it’s nearly all gone!
And also I’m a key worker so I have no choice but to go in to work. My wife able to work at home and occupy our son who is vulnerable. Not a nice time at all is it.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s the difference between a breton beret and an ‘onion seller’? - Is it the Alfalfa apple stalk coming out the top?

Sometimes they can look OK but it’s a bold move. Gotta avoid that Frank Spencer association. They don’t really work with my spikey barnet.

Several years ago the US army allowed all troops to wear berets when previously they had been reserved for special forces /rangers / airborne. They are a big step up from either the baseball cap or the c**t cap in theory, but the yanks wear them all shrunk down like a yarmulke with just a little TinTin peak with their regiment/rank badge. Looks bloody ridiculous and I think they’re being rescinded, probably as a result of that stupid habit.
A Breton beret sits more like a flat cap with a kind of invisible peak, a bit hard to explain, I'll post a pic later.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah but when you come inside and take it off? Hat head!
It's one of the reasons l started wearing one, when I bought my first scooter at 16, to cover up helmet hair. I either wore a French beret, or a corduroy peaked sailors cap, that's why when the club went out to a dressed up do we hired a coach.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you all stand up on the coach?
No but depending on the distance that we were travelling, we often took our clothes for the night on hangers in covers and changed on the bus, it's a pity that the girls wouldn't do the same.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A Breton beret sits more like a flat cap with a kind of invisible peak, a bit hard to explain, I'll post a pic later.
@Thin White Duke some pics of the aforementioned berets, showing how the shape and construction differs from a traditional beret. Because of the way it fits, it cannot really be worn at a jaunty angle, like a French beret, but more like a flat cap (but doesn't come with a Whippet), or as The Inspector so graciously and offensively said like a marsupial.
IMG_8348.JPG
IMG_8349.JPG
IMG_8351.JPG

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well @Yorky a few days ago you said something about the fact that everytime you saw a picture of me you needed rose tinted glasses, and i don't count the numerous (dated) attacks you did against French or me, usually off topic. Frankly i dont really mind, but if you like to give it out you will have to be prepared to take it too... :fence:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't hang with the beret personally, though my late Uncle Bob had one he got from a Euskaldon fella and he wore it well. My family were and are more the flat cap types; I having inherited my Grampy's red/black/grey tartan cap he brought from Ireland. I don't wear it much as, though the tartan is a bit muted, it's a little garish for my tastes.
I have a "Hodges" cap from CasualCo which is a bit of a flat(we say "scally") cap/deerstalker hybrid. I only wear it with more technical-looking jackets as to avoid the "out hunting wabbits" look, but I dig it a lot.

Hodges cap screenshot 1.png Hodges cap screenshot 2.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads