• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

dopeman

Reaction score
That’s the turn up style I’m gonna try on the next raw/unwashed pair I buy.
Gets a nice look at the hem over time when the denim starts to fade .

Btw - Yorky, as regards to washing etc with raw denim . I tend to wear them infrequently at first and leave them outside on a cold (dry!) night or else put them in a bag and put them in freezer overnight . This kills any bacteria and keeps them clean .
If you wash them too soon the whole denim takes on a uniform fade which looks a bit weird with some denim . The aim is to get them creased to your body shape before the first wash ( cold with little or no detergent).

One thing I will say is watch light furniture when wearing- I once ruined a cream sofa lounging about with new jeans - lesson learned !

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Btw - Yorky, as regards to washing etc with raw denim . I tend to wear them infrequently at first and leave them outside on a cold (dry!) night or else put them in a bag and put them in freezer overnight . This kills any bacteria and keeps them clean .
If you wash them too soon the whole denim takes on a uniform fade which looks a bit weird with some denim . The aim is to get them creased to your body shape before the first wash ( cold with little or no detergent).

One thing I will say is watch light furniture when wearing- I once ruined a cream sofa lounging about with new jeans - lesson learned !
Also watch what shoes/socks you wear as the dye will transfer to them as well!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
APC washing recipes

APC.jpg

The problem if you never wash them is that they tear easily after a while.

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The problem if you never wash them is that they tear easily after a while.
I never heard of this before, care to explain why your jeans would tear due to not washing, I would think it would be the other way around.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I never heard of this before, care to explain why your jeans would tear due to not washing, I would think it would be the other way around.
Nope, they usually tear at the crotch if you don't wash them, it is well known.

It even became a game for the denim heads to say how many times they had them repaired.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, I intend to wear them infrequently, not just an everyday pair of jeans, but will probably wear them a bit more at first to break them in.

dopeman

Reaction score
Also watch what shoes/socks you wear as the dye will transfer to them as well!
Yes ! No lighter suede footwear .
Jackets and tops too. Limits your choice of what to wear with them .
It’s actually a bit of a pain to live with the dye transfer issue, but worth it after a year or two and a couple of washes .
I have an indigo dyed sweatshirt type top which is also a pain to wear ( looks good though !) .

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope, they usually tear at the crotch if you don't wash them, it is well known.

It even became a game for the denim heads to say how many times they had them repaired.
But surely Inspector that article is a send-up! If you crap your pants...if you want to become a criminal! Not aimed at people like us who look after our clothes and wear them 'lightly' and have enough in rotation for them not to need washing but very infrequently?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
But surely Inspector that article is a send-up! If you crap your pants...if you want to become a criminal! Not aimed at people like us who look after our clothes and wear them 'lightly' and have enough in rotation for them not to need washing but very infrequently?
At least Point 1 is very serious. :-D

I agree with Dopeman when he says :"If you wash them too soon the whole denim takes on a uniform fade which looks a bit weird with some denim . The aim is to get them creased to your body shape before the first wash."

The idea is also to develop marks and "honeycombs" that makes your jeans unique.

I waited six months before i washed my Lee Riders in Cone Mills denim, as it was a raw, unsanforized, number.

I will try to do the same with my LVCs 551 ZXX in Cone Mills.

But more than six months before the first wash and you risk the dreaded crotch tear !

An old poster from MtS had what he called his "Project Lees", a pair of Lee Riders that he never washed. He suffered several crotch explosions and repaired it several times. He probably still wears them when he rides one of his scooters. :-D ;)

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't remember any of this crap years ago. Just wash them, and shrink them before you wear them ffs.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Do you remember bleach then?
Another times another crap !

The jeans go on ! Ha ha

DonkeyJacket1

Reaction score
Hi Mr K probably not the best description, there was about 4" of excess cloth on the legs, so I turned them up from the inside to the desired length and pinned them, next I ironed them with steam at the bottom. Next thing was to turn them inside out and at the original hem tacked them all the way round, being careful to only pick up a thread so that it wouldn't show on the outside when worn. I didn't want to cut off the excess cloth,because it would mean overlocking the raw hem to stop it fraying, plus when they eventually start to wear I might decide to go for a turn up.
I used to be quite good on the ex wife's sewing machine also, I used to buy Ben Sherman shirts in the 90's which where a really bad fit, no sewn in box pleat and baggy, but nice cloth and designs, they also had decent collars. On the machine I sewed in the box pleat and darted them at the back to make them slim fit, I then cut off The Ben Sherman label on the breast pocket with a scalpel and changed all the buttons. They then looked pretty authentic, I was often asked by some of the mates if I would do it for them, but the answer was always a firm NO, plus I hated doing it as It took ages. If I still had them I would definitely have to loosen off the darts.

Learning to use a sewing machine is a useful skill to have i need to get me mam to teach me, i just do it by hand at the moment.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads