• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha ha! The last two pictures have been favourites of mine for a while. I think it shows that trousers were longer then - longer than perhaps we remember.

I thought the hat could work with this 1980’s Ferre x Redaelli jacket. What do you think?

6289517A-B32E-44ED-8E65-BE43B74EA04A.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It would look fine but it would have nowt to do with ‘The Look’ IMO if that’s what you’re asking.
I always say that at the extremes of temperatures there’s a sliding scale by which style (and adherence to any canon) starts to fade in favour of practicality. As for me I’d only wear a watch cap on the ski slopes and as I still have all my barnet - and spikey as it is - would suffer greatly once I got to the pub and doffed the titfer, the knits are not for me!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I think that this jacket could only work well with Mephisto shoes !!! Ha ha ha

Best DMR look? Without contest the dockers/kindda skin look. Their "Ivy Look" is terrible, looks like costume on them, and two sizes too big.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that this jacket could only work well with Mephisto shoes !!! Ha ha ha

Best DMR look? Without contest the dockers/kindda skin look. Their "Ivy Look" is terrible, looks like costume on them, and two sizes too big.
Everything was costume for Rowland.
He’s held up now as some kind of Ivy sauvant when in reality he was just the Ivy equivalent of an ‘identikit Mod’ -off the shelf packaging for every release. The bricklayer look (what the bell were they all carrying in their Gola bags?), the scruffy pikey look (they kicked ex Secret Affair drummer Seb Shelton out of the band half way through filming the ‘Come On Eileen’ video as he was complaining about the inauthentic bollocks of applying fake dirt on their cheeks!), then the Ivy look. At some point it was all track suits and pony tails, and more recently of course the very ill advised women’s underkegs. All costume, zero substance.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Funny as i was just thinking about how the C'mon Eileen look was terrible. The Chick in the video was nice though.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Funny as i was just thinking about how the C'mon Eileen look was terrible. The Chick in the video was nice though.
Isn’t that the same one looking like a boring secretary during the subsequent Ivy phase?

I remember Rowland getting interviewed around the time of the Don’t Stand Me Down release - perhaps by Richard Skinner? - who asked him ‘what’s with the new clean cut image?’ Rowland replied ‘this is not an image these are just the clothes I wear’ as if it was some kind of organic evolution that he’d gone in a matter of weeks from looking like a homeless tramp to a mid century business exec. He was also getting stick for refusing to release a single. The albums sales were poor and in the end he had to give in and release some single but the album failed commercially anyway. The bloke is basically a mess!

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Young Soul Rebels is a brilliant album, full of classics.
Yes (Searching for the) young soul rebels is definitely a great album - and i liked their Look then. I preferred the leather jackets to the Donkeys though.
So many good bands at the time.

Last edited:

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. The boring one plays the violin.
The pretty one (not from the band) plays Eileen...
Ah OK.
I liked the first album too. But it used to piss me off that somehow skinheads latched onto the group so when we went to the local teen disco it was rammed with skins looking for trouble and they’d all go mental when the DJ played ‘Geno’. Had to show a clean pair of heels a couple of times from that place. Naturally we were always outnumbered. In all my encounters with skins I can’t remember a single time when the numbers were even.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes (Searching for the) young soul rebels is definitely a great album - and i liked their Look then. I preferred the leather jackets to the Donkeys though.
So many good bands at the time.
I’ve got leather blazers in black (hardly ever worn these days, might sell it) blue and red!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I recently had a discussion with the singer of a 80s French band (still active) who had skinhead followers. He told me they probably prevented the band to have a larger success. We also talked about the most famous parisian crew then, and he said they were only really strong when they were numerous.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Thank you, glad to know.
Got a new name for American Classics : Turkish Delight
Oh, I forgot the pair of big E's. So, that's five. Wow, AC'll be heartbroken to hear you're dissing them on the internet. Especially as you're such a high-roller.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well you are another one @Jimmy Balantyne. I remember when i met you, you looked so great.
C'mon where is your sense of humor gone man (if you ever had one) ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads