• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well yes i can understand that. My jeans are a mix of with and without turn-ups, i told it before, my personal preference is without turn-ups with a Sport Coat/Blazer, with turn-ups with a harrington, but some items can go along with both.
My choice is radical as the ones with turn-ups i have, have sewn turn-ups, like on those :

View attachment 1343147
My 3 pairs of selvedge 501's, I washed to shrink first and then ironed in the turn ups. The Lee 101's say not to wash on the label and dry clean only, what are your experiences with these, as I can't be arsed dry cleaning, and don't want a smelly crotch!!?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
My 3 pairs of selvedge 501's, I washed to shrink first and then ironed in the turn ups. The Lee 101's say not to wash on the label and dry clean only, what are your experiences with these, as I can't be arsed dry cleaning, and don't want a smelly crotch!!?
Yes they say that on the Lee 101s Europe ! (I've got two, a 101z like yours, but not in Japanese denim, and a Riders in Cone Mills.)
IIRC what they say was to dry clean so they keep their dry/raw aspect. Lees are known to be sanforized, but now some dry/raw ones are unsanforized, so they tend to shrink and to change aspect/look.
It depends how's the fit of yours, if they are a bit big/wide, just wash them normally (but no more than 30 degrees). If they are fitted you should probably dry clean them.
My 101z were a bit wide, so i just washed them at 30 degrees.
My Riders were more fitted, and they had a great color, so i waited the maximum before first wash. When i washed them, i hand washed in cold water, and with no tumble, to have the minimum shrinkage.

LEE riders.JPG
Two Lee Riders : on the left a Japanese Archive one, sanforized.
On the right an Europe one in Cone Mills denim, unsanforized. That's the one i hand washed cold. He changed aspect after the first wash, this is how he looks now (after numerous wash) :
Lee E.jpg

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lots happening in the last few days while I have not really been paying attention.

Some seriously ugly shoes. I still can't be sure this isn't all a piss-take...

Someone on a forum about clothes going out of their way to provide evidence of not buying clothes @covskin :-D

Sunspel - I started wearing their boxer shorts in the mid-1970s. Trousers were becoming more generously cut then and boxers seemed just right. Today, I am going back to them as trousers become rather looser again around the balls. I have a few of their cotton roll necks too.

But @dopeman did Robert Elms really say that? In 'The Way We Wore'? I recall he said something like this (also seen on the Sunspel website):

'I always keep two or three pairs of Sunspel underpants in their packets in my drawer. Because if you’ve got those, you know your life is in order- that you haven’t used up all your resources. If you need it, you’ve got a perfect pair of pristine underpants to put on that day that will make you feel good.'

Selvedge jeans and turn-ups - I am also moving away from turn-ups on jeans. Apart from it all looking a bit 'contrived' they give the impression of foreshortening the leg - which I need to avoid.

Another great haul @Yorky I am very envious of your TK Maxx branches.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes they say that on the Lee 101s Europe ! (I've got two, a 101z like yours, but not in Japanese denim, and a Riders in Cone Mills.)
IIRC what they say was to dry clean so they keep their dry/raw aspect. Lees are known to be sanforized, but now some dry/raw ones are unsanforized, so they tend to shrink and to change aspect/look.
It depends how's the fit of yours, if they are a bit big/wide, just wash them normally (but no more than 30 degrees). If they are fitted you should probably dry clean them.
My 101z were a bit wide, so i just washed them at 30 degrees.
My Riders were more fitted, and they had a great color, so i waited the maximum before first wash. When i washed them, i hand washed in cold water, and with no tumble, to have the minimum shrinkage.

View attachment 1343234
Two Lee Riders : on the left a Japanese Archive one, sanforized.
On the right an Europe one in Cone Mills denim, unsanforized. That's the one i hand washed cold. He changed aspect after the first wash, this is how he looks now (after numerous wash) :
View attachment 1343235
Thanks Inspector, they are sanforized, and fit how I like them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thanks Inspector, they are sanforized, and fit how I like them.
So i think machine wash at 30 degrees with light tumble will be good.

I was like you a "Levi's only" guy in the time, but now i love as much Lee than Levi's, and i find that nowadays Lee quality (Europe or Japan) is FAR better than Levi's.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I was like you a "Levi's only" guy in the time, but now i love as much Lee than Levi's, and i find that nowadays Lee quality (Europe or Japan) is FAR better than Levi's.
?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Some seriously ugly shoes. I still can't be sure this isn't all a piss-take...

If you are referring to my Mephisto Rainbow MrK, this is a live pic i just took !
Just back from sports hence the joggers, the rainbows are a replacement for my NB sneakers i used to train with...

Rainbow live !.jpg

They're ugly and i like it ! :p
More serioulsly - i will only wear them for sports or long walks.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you are referring to my Mephisto Rainbow MrK, this is a live pic i just took !
Just back from sports hence the joggers, the rainbows are a replacement for my NB sneakers i used to train with...

View attachment 1343244

They're ugly and i like it ! :p
Moore serioulsly - i will only wear them for sports or long walks.
Arghhh...They are real :-D

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I've been living in Europe for the past three years and was blown away to see a Lee store in a shopping center. Growing up in the states, Lee was a brand synonymous with being cheap. It was a brand that lower class people wore, very "uncool" and would get you made fun of for sure. So as you can imagine, seeing a full blown Lee store really blew my mind. Also to read threads like this one where claims are made of how great a brand Lee is and their quality is Far superior to Levis is just hard for me to process.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I've been living in Europe for the past three years and was blown away to see a Lee store in a shopping center. Growing up in the states, Lee was a brand synonymous with being cheap. It was a brand that lower class people wore, very "uncool" and would get you made fun of for sure. So as you can imagine, seeing a full blown Lee store really blew my mind. Also to read threads like this one where claims are made of how great a brand Lee is and their quality is Far superior to Levis is just hard for me to process.
Yes i know that ! Lee in US now are considered very cheap, and they only do terrible "comfy" models you buy in Kmarts style shops. But not the same here, they are the second historical brand after Levi's, and Lee 101s Europe and Lee Archive Japan are serious business. You have to get used to it ! ;)

BUT Lee USA did a couple of years ago a limited edition 101z dry selvedge anniversary model that cost an arm and a leg...
Here it is (Made in USA of course)
Lee USA 101z-kcdry.jpg

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Also to read threads like this one where claims are made of how great a brand Lee is and their quality is Far superior to Levis is just hard for me to process.
Well next time you see a Lee shop, have a look at their 101s series and compare them to Levi's... You will probably be surprised.
Seriously, nowadays Levi's is serious s...

vdubiv

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes i know that ! Lee in US now are considered very cheap, and they only do terrible "comfy" models you buy in Kmarts style shops. But not the same here, they are the second historical brand after Levi's, and Lee 101s Europe and Lee Archive Japan are serious business. You have to get used to it ! ;)

BUT Lee USA did a couple of years ago a limited edition 101z dry selvedge anniversary model that cost an arm and a leg...
Here it is (Made in USA of course)
View attachment 1343252
These look very similar to something I ordered from BraveStar, Though it's hard for me to get away from that cheap mental image I have of Lee overall. Maybe I will hit the mall this weekend and have a look just for kicks.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads