• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Nope. I just meant some stuff from shops.
You are too young to be my father Jimmy.
If you bought your LVCs recently, the denim is probably Turkish.
(American Classics should change their name)

Last edited:

dopeman

Reaction score
According to a denimhead pal, the best LVC jeans repros ever made.
The best repros were made in early 2000’s at the original Valencia factory .soon after made abroad .
551z is a great shape though - I have a pair from about 2005 that are still holding up after a couple of repairs.

I have had a lot of jeans in my time inc many designer brands in the late 80’s, 90’s as well as Lee and Japanese brands but I always feel better in Levi’s somehow . Again maybe a ‘mod’ Thing ( sorry IC) .

dopeman

Reaction score
On the subject of Sunspel and their recent revival , I find their cotton to be the best . The T-shirt’s look like new after many many years and washes. Boxers too .
Robert Elms ( I am no fan btw) claimed, in that book he wrote, that he wore a fresh pair every day and threw them away after wearing .
At the time I thought throwing away a pair of £20 keks everyday was mental - I heard Prince like a fresh pair of silk socks every day and thought that was bad , but at least he’s a multi- millionaire genius so that was an excuse .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
The best repros were made in early 2000’s at the original Valencia factory .soon after made abroad .
551z is a great shape though - I have a pair from about 2005 that are still holding up after a couple of repairs.

I have had a lot of jeans in my time inc many designer brands in the late 80’s, 90’s as well as Lee and Japanese brands but I always feel better in Levi’s somehow . Again maybe a ‘mod’ Thing ( sorry IC) .
Mod thing my a...
Levi's were always the jeans of choice of youth, and the Rockers before the "mods".
The thing is Levi's are mostly **** now, overpriced LVCs included since they are no more made in Cone Mills denim.
In the time it was really easy to find MiUSA Levi's for peanuts here. Always wore 501s when they were MiUSA as the quality was good.
Since the 2000s i tried different brands, but now, apart an old Paul Smith quite nice (much like a 501 but a tad slimmer), i only wear the 3 historical brands, with a majority of Lee Riders made in Japan from the Archive collection.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Never owned any Sunspel items so far (two reasons : can't find them here, and i find them expensive) but i can understand why they appeal to @covskin.
Nice and simple classic, and neat, minimalist designs (no weird patterns), basic quality items, sturdy, and no logo.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Nope. I just meant some stuff from shops.
You are too young to be my father Jimmy.
If you bought your LVCs recently, the denim is probably Turkish.
(American Classics should change their name)
Currently got four pairs of Levis. Two LCV and a couple much older. Also got a couple of pairs of Sugarcane, which piss over the Levis. Just so you know.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Currently got four pairs of Levis. Two LCV and a couple much older. Also got a couple of pairs of Sugarcane, which piss over the Levis. Just so you know.
Thank you, glad to know.
Got a new name for American Classics : Turkish Delight

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never owned any Sunspel items so far (two reasons : can't find them here, and i find them expensive).

Nice and simple classic, and neat, minimalist designs (no weird patterns), basic quality items, sturdy, and no logo.

I got the navy Bond Riviera polo shirt a few years ago. Obviously didn’t pay full price - think I got it in the End sale? Good quality and the dark dye has not washed out like happens these days with some FP and Lacoste.
Really wide mesh pique works well on a hot summer day. I absolutely despise pockets on tees and polos so I got stuck into mine with a seam ripper and got rid of that with no ill effects. I would consider more if the price is right aside from two reasons - the colour choices are kinda limited and I have drawers full of polos.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A few TKMAXX buys from the weekend,
First pair of Lee jeans that I've ever bought, but a steal at 40 quid. Japanese 18oz Selvedge denim.
IMG_8166.JPG

Paul Smith ,100% wool, 28 quid from 350 quid
IMG_8167.JPG

Wasn't sure about this Nehru collared Brooks Brothers coat, but it was reduced to 20 quid from 400, wool and silk mix, they had 2 more in grey and blue. Thought that I could get a job in an Indian Restaurant.
I had a Nehru collared jacket made when I was 17, it was black with a red lining, and Gerry my tailor, said what are you doing joining the F#####g priesthood.
IMG_8168.JPG

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
All good stuff.
This is a Lee Europe in Japanese denim. I have a Lee Riders Europe in Cone Mills.They are very nice, but the Lee Archives (M.i)Japan are much better (they are at Lee what LVC is at Levi's except the Japanese are real maniacs for details so their repros are more accurate ).
They are of course more expensive and very hard to find here.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All good stuff.
This is a Lee Europe in Japanese denim. I have a Lee Riders Europe in Cone Mills.They are very nice, but the Lee Archives (M.i)Japan are much better (they are at Lee what LVC is at Levi's except the Japanese are real maniacs for details so their repros are more accurate ).
They are of course more expensive and very hard to find here.
Cheers for that Inspector, not really a denim head myself, but they are a nice denim all the same. I think that I will take them up and wear sans a turn up, as I haven't currently got any decent jeans that aren't without turn ups. But in doing so I will have to for go having the selvedge detail on show.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Yorky theres a Mod-leaning tailor in Leeds. I think it’s part owned by a lady. Can’t remember the name (age creeping up) but I’ve come across this on some other Mod forum and people were singing their praises so you might want to ask around. Not sure if it was full bespoke or MTM.

I just received my latest commission from Jason at Thick As Thieves. Absolutely chuffed with it he’s met my expectations once again. Pics coming soon once I let the travel creases fall out of it!
Cheers TWD I think I know who you mean, I know a few lads who have used him. Having an overcoat tailored may be beyond some tailors limits, due to the cloth and process used.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Cheers for that Inspector, not really a denim head myself, but they are a nice denim all the same. I think that I will take them up and wear sans a turn up, as I haven't currently got any decent jeans that aren't without turn ups. But in doing so I will have to for go having the selvedge detail on show.

Well yes i can understand that. My jeans are a mix of with and without turn-ups, i told it before, my personal preference is without turn-ups with a Sport Coat/Blazer, with turn-ups with a harrington, but some items can go along with both.
My choice is radical as the ones with turn-ups i have, have sewn turn-ups, like on those :

Sel2.jpg

dopeman

Reaction score
I’ve seen a lot of old pics (mods/skins) where they turn them up inside like a normal hem to make them sit above or on the ankle.
Not a look you ever see now .
The outside turn ups are more rocker / 50’s style .
The new craze for turn ups only started about 20 years ago with the rise of the vintage/ repro denim .
In the 90’s turn ups made you look a bit odd.

I like a small turn up myself never more than 1/2 inch , but an thinking about going for the hemmed look now for a change .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads