• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

dopeman

Reaction score
a branch of it (The Gabbichi/Farah slacks one)
While that was going on there was a far more underground and far more dangerous Youth Culture emerging. The origins of the casual movement are much disputed but I can swear on my life that, like Teddy Boys, a branch of it (The Gabbichi/Farah slacks one) started in South London.
I can imagine that . That look was so mainstream by about 1980 wasn’t it.
I sometimes catch an early episode of Minder with a bit of that in it .
A lot of Jamaicans were also rocking that look in mid 70’s , would that have had any connection with with when you saw it first or would they have been soulboys ?
I’ve saw pics of London casuals from 78/9 wearing pilot jackets, white polo necks, Pringles etc .
A lot of these “youth cults” (™️) all mixed a bit too at clubs etc at that time, it wasn’t so uniform in the early days .

dopeman

Reaction score
My purse won't thank you !
Yes it will . Once you know your size/ colour you can find online pretty cheap - usually around half price .
They used to repair for free - not sure if they still do - but you can get them resoled etc at the factory if you post them in. The uppers are bulletproof.

Release your inner geography teacher/football hooligan/German pensioner/Californian hippy and join the tribe.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I am laughing in imagining @Thin White Duke reading the last 3 pages as i am sure that Paraboot Michaels and Mephisto Rainbows are his shoes of choice. We just have to talk a little about Monkey Boots now...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes it will . Once you know your size/ colour you can find online pretty cheap - usually around half price .
They used to repair for free - not sure if they still do - but you can get them resoled etc at the factory if you post them in. The uppers are bulletproof.

Release your inner geography teacher/football hooligan/German pensioner/Californian hippy and join the tribe.
Actually there is a big Mephisto shop not far from where i live, i certainly will go there soon and try a pair... if i buy a pair i will ask the salesman to send my old DM shoes to Mr Balantyne for his collection.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

I dig the suede ones.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
Inspector, you can argue all you want but French Youth Culture is on-par with French pop music. French Haute Couture's on par with Jimi Hendrix. If you chose your arguments more carefully, you might win a few. For what it's worth, I've always thought French people dressed better than their English counterparts but as I've been around for a long-long time and as far as Youth Culture goes.... ain't happening baby. Never was, probably never will be.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
a branch of it (The Gabbichi/Farah slacks one)
I can imagine that . That look was so mainstream by about 1980 wasn’t it.
I sometimes catch an early episode of Minder with a bit of that in it .
A lot of Jamaicans were also rocking that look in mid 70’s , would that have had any connection with with when you saw it first or would they have been soulboys ?
I’ve saw pics of London casuals from 78/9 wearing pilot jackets, white polo necks, Pringles etc .
A lot of these “youth cults” (™️) all mixed a bit too at clubs etc at that time, it wasn’t so uniform in the early days .
At one point there were a load of white kids from around Walworth Rd and Bermondsey into it alongside a few black kids from Peckham and Brixton. Then, there were the Soul Boys, who were sporting that Wedge long before the Mickeys but in fairness to them, (the Scousers)they brought it to the terraces - the Wedge I mean. They make a lot of claims and some of them are justified but the mistake they make is calling all football yobs Cockneys. Cockneys don't fight at football, they sell tickets. Peace.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Jimmy i am tired to argue with you for several reasons. Peace.
(But you were wrong about French Punk)

dopeman

Reaction score
At one point there were a load of white kids from around Walworth Rd and Bermondsey into it alongside a few black kids from Peckham and Brixton. Then, there were the Soul Boys, who were sporting that Wedge long before the Mickeys but in fairness to them, (the Scousers)they brought it to the terraces - the Wedge I mean. They make a lot of claims and some of them are justified but the mistake they make is calling all football yobs Cockneys. Cockneys don't fight at football, they sell tickets. Peace.
London is generally first with most things.
The wedge made a slight revival in the early acid house days ( along with the bowl cut - ouch ), but has not been seen since. Probably due a come back soon - need a bit of a swagger to pull it off.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am laughing in imagining @Thin White Duke reading the last 3 pages as i am sure that Paraboot Michaels and Mephisto Rainbows are his shoes of choice. We just have to talk a little about Monkey Boots now...
Haha you know me too well matey!
I’ve been reading about them with gritted teeth, wanting to convey my disdain ... “must resist ... must resist”!

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
London is generally first with most things.
The wedge made a slight revival in the early acid house days ( along with the bowl cut - ouch ), but has not been seen since. Probably due a come back soon - need a bit of a swagger to pull it off.
Self-correction here, that look was predominantly a black thing and in regard to black youths, wasn't restricted to South London. Though I strongly suspect it was more prevalent there. I'm not sure how the two tribes were wearing the same gear because they didn't knock around together. I was familiar with the look prior to it becoming popular with the younger crowd, as the Spivs on Oxford Street dressed that way to a large extent. It became popular with South London teenagers in the mid-70s.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads