• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Jimmy Balantyne, post: 10075387, member:

Now Inspector, I'm a long way from being Billy Britain but you cannot possibly compare French youth culture to the UK's. Ours has been, not sure how it is now, one of if not the richest in the world. France has a million great things about it but man, come on, youth culture's not one of them. We have to be fair and unbiased about things sir.
[/QUOTE]
I agree partly with you JB, but Richest one ? American one by far. Jazz, Blues and Rock everything comes from that.
French youth culture ? Well you probably never heard of the zazous we had during the war. Then we had the blousons noirs and the blousons dorés and the minets, etc.The bigger thing you had ? Punk without contest. Everything that came after, revivals included, comes from that. Look at Yorky two days ago, his reference : No future !

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Dopeman If you are not English you are even more stupid than i thought!

You didnt post much since your inscription on SF. Go back to your usual rythm it's better.

Last edited:

dopeman

Reaction score
For my part, I avoid shops like Oi-poli
I understand, but I shouldnt mention Oi polloi alongside Hip (now owned by JD Sports,was ok in the 80’s) and End (cheesy designer shop from Newcastle who got lucky with the online market ). I knew the guys who own it before the shop opened and they are not like any other clothes shop I know.
I cant think of anywhere like it - the other shops either copy their stock, go the designer or Japanese route eventually or stay niche (it’s mostly London shops that can afford to do this).
Oi Polloi do appeal to a certain age group and are heavy into the casual thing ( in a modern way ) but you could find a full outfit for “the look” with perfect details at any season in the shops history . No where else has done that apart from JSimons maybe .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne , dont mention the teds etc. Punk is the bigger as it sprayed to the world. Now the origine is also American.
C'mon man remember that sight of the Pistols passing in the street! ;)

dopeman

Reaction score
Dopeman If you are not English you are even more stupid than i thought!

You didnt post much since your inscription on SF. Go back to your usual rythm it's better.
I’m Scottish, but once again thank you for your casual stereotyping and wit.

( and interest, I’m flattered )

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
While Punk was big to you and a lot of French people. It was minor here. Teddy Boys, Mods, Skinheads, Suedeheads, Glam Rock, Casuals, New Romantics, Acid House and that's just off the top of my head. As for your American suggestions, Jazz was not a Youth Culture. Nor where the other musical forms you mention. Your going back to the Second World War suggests a dearth of much more. As does your constant references to 'The Drug Store'. London alone can boast a mass of 'cool' spots. As can Manchester. Up North, you had the 'Northern Soul' scene. down here was an equally vibrant Funk one. I can't be bothered making up lists. Let me put it this way Inspector, you're extremely involved in this thread and 'The Look', certainly the term and desire to take American and Italian style and spin it into something different - stems from the UK. It works the other way too. One of the reasons I love Cordings is due to French and Italians taking that rather drab, exclusively English stye and adding a bit of pizazz to it. You're a stubborn fellow but on this, like with the Martens shoes, you can't win. UK Youth Culture is, historically at least, probably the richest in the world.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Nope man. AMERICAN ONE BY FAR.
Never said that Jazz was a youth culture. But that it was very influential.
Anyway Jimmy you too are biased and you know exactly what i mean.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
@Jimmy Balantyne , dont mention the teds etc. Punk is the bigger as it sprayed to the world. Now the origine is also American.
C'mon man remember that sight of the Pistols passing in the street! ;)
I do Inspector and remember, I knew Lydon's brother and reference you make, took place in 1975. It took many years for 'Punk' to take hold in France. It was largely a media-inspired load of old bollocks to be honest. While that was going on there was a far more underground and far more dangerous Youth Culture emerging. The origins of the casual movement are much disputed but I can swear on my life that, like Teddy Boys, a branch of it (The Gabbichi/Farah slacks one) started in South London. Anway, all the best Viva La France!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
NOPE AGAIN. The Pistols played at the Chalet du lac, Paris, in 1976. And the French punk scene started around 1975.
i certainly dont know much about UK but certainly better than you about what happened in France Sir.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
NOPE AGAIN. The Pistols played at the Chalet du lac, Paris, in 1976. And the French punk scene started around 1975.
Oh do leave of Clouseau, you're becoming ridiculous now mate. It barely started in England then and you lot were a long way behind. You've no real youth culture that's why you're so enamoured with all things American.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Oh do leave of Clouseau, you're becoming ridiculous now mate. It barely started in England then and you lot were a long way behind. You've no real youth culture that's why you're so enamoured with all things American.
It's you who are ridiculous actually. Punk is not English but American. Ramones, 1974. And you had the proto-punks before.

If you can read french, read here about french punk:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I do Inspector and remember, I knew Lydon's brother and reference you make, took place in 1975. It took many years for 'Punk' to take hold in France. It was largely a media-inspired load of old bollocks to be honest. While that was going on there was a far more underground and far more dangerous Youth Culture emerging. The origins of the casual movement are much disputed but I can swear on my life that, like Teddy Boys, a branch of it (The Gabbichi/Farah slacks one) started in South London. Anway, all the best Viva La France!
Sorry JB, but this is real bullshit. "many years" ? Actually at my school we had a punk band (they even did a record) and that was in 1977. And they were not the firsts !
Edit: just checked : two first 'official' french punk bands were Metal Urbain and Stinky Toys, both started in 1976.

Last edited:

dopeman

Reaction score
"Clouseau, [/[/QUOTE]
I agree partly with you JB, but Richest one ? American one by far. Jazz, Blues and Rock everything comes from that.

If Punk was coming from Sex Pistols who were copying the New York dolls who were copying the Rolling Stones who were copying Muddy Waters etc who were influenced by gospel music that (so they say) was a mixture of traditional African music mixed with Scottish Christian church hymns. .. Look it up !

Anyway I think we are getting mixed up here IC . With “the look “I mean it is a UK thing , when I say ‘youth cults’ I mean teds , mods, rockers,skins,casuals etc .
Not talking about hip hop, hippies or hipsters etc - those I would describe as “youth culture” not “cult”.
With “culture” the richest and biggest worldwide is rock etc for sure .

Maybe a language thing, I don’t mean to come across as arguing with you, I just know about Mephisto Rainbows ? ?
I guess a shouldn’t poke a Frenchman with a baguette ?

[/QUOTE]

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
"Clouseau, [/

If Punk was coming from Sex Pistols who were copying the New York dolls who were copying the Rolling Stones who were copying Muddy Waters etc who were influenced by gospel music that (so they say) was a mixture of traditional African music mixed with Scottish Christian church hymns. .. Look it up !

Anyway I think we are getting mixed up here IC . With “the look “I mean it is a UK thing , when I say ‘youth cults’ I mean teds , mods, rockers,skins,casuals etc .
Not talking about hip hop, hippies or hipsters etc - those I would describe as “youth culture” not “cult”.
With “culture” the richest and biggest worldwide is rock etc for sure .

Maybe a language thing, I don’t mean to come across as arguing with you, I just know about Mephisto Rainbows ? ?
I guess a shouldn’t poke a Frenchman with a baguette ?

[/QUOTE]
[/QUOTE]
Speaking of language, it's a bit difficult to have two arguments at the same time in English i have to say. :-D And a bit lost in translation sometimes i am afraid. Well arguing with Jimmy i'm getting used to it.

dopeman

Reaction score
[/QUOTE]
[/
Speaking of language, it's a bit difficult to have two arguments at the same time in English i have to say. :-D And a bit lost in translation sometimes i am afraid. Well arguing with Jimmy i'm getting used to it.
[/QUOTE]
It wasn’t planned ?
Not easy being funny and factual in another language.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads