• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chilly day in Gods own county, but had to venture out to buy er indoors some flowers.

Brooks Brothers fairisle style jumper, Brooks Brothers chinos, Joseph Cheaney commando soled boots.
IMG_8112.JPG

As above with APC parka and Reiss scarf.
IMG_8110.JPG

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

dopeman

Reaction score
Can you wear that jumper next to the skin @Yorky ? Makes me feel itchy!

Recent outfit:

View attachment 1336937

View attachment 1336938

Jacket: Gurteen (2 button w double vents)
Rollneck: Sunspel
Scarf: Drake’s
PS: TM Lewin
Chinos: CT
Boots (look away, Inspector): Church’s
Those boots have a paraboot/wallabie vibe - but less casual . Like them .

Inspector - paraboot michaels were part of the casual ‘look’ in late 80’s and are now being worn again in UK. I have a pair and love them , a lot of people don’t though !
What is the French perspective?

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

Inspector - paraboot michaels were part of the casual ‘look’ in late 80’s and are now being worn again in UK. I have a pair and love them , a lot of people don’t though !
Simon's, when it was in Covent Gdn, was the only place that I knew of, that stocked them. Had a pair of about 30 yrs. Black boots. To be honest, they show little signs of wear and tear.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

The paraboot "Michael" are an absolute classic here, they exist since the end of WW2 i think. It's a kind of "love them - hate them" design as you know. They are still Made in France (rare thing nowadays). I have a pair (Nubuck version) since the early 90s and they are still in good shape, actually they are built like a Sherman Tank (or rather a french AMX).
Paraboot has a lot of interesting models, some are variation on classic french models like the "Golf" or the "Chasse" as they are called at JM Weston (the other great French shoe brand. Heschung are good too, but i never owned a pair.)

paraboots.JPG

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Simon's, when it was in Covent Gdn, was the only place that I knew of, that stocked them. Had a pair of about 30 yrs. Black boots. To be honest, they show little signs of wear and tear.
I went to the Covent Garden shop something like 20 years ago. I just passed by and was really impressed by the window display. It was quite a small shop, i went inside and had a look but bought nothing. At the time i had absolutely no idea of who was J.Simons or about his previous shops. I learned that much later in "MtS" at the time when it was still a great thread.
Since i have been several time to his new bigger shop, but i don't find it the charm that the Covent Garden's one had. And still bought nothing there !

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I went to the Covent Garden shop something like 20 years ago. I just passed by and was really impressed by the window display. It was quite a small shop, i went inside and had a look but bought nothing. At the time i had absolutely no idea of who was J.Simons or about his previous shops. I learned that much later in "MtS" at the time when it was still a great thread.
Since i have been several time to his new bigger shop, but i don't find it the charm that the Covent Garden's one had. And still bought nothing there !
I had a pair of the shoes, exactly like yours and, to be honest, preferred them to my boots. Inexplicably, I chucked them out when I was moving. Still wake up at night and cry about it. Chiltern Street does lack charm of the Cov Gdn. I can't really recall the Soho one.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of the shoes, exactly like yours and, to be honest, preferred them to my boots. Inexplicably, I chucked them out when I was moving. Still wake up at night and cry about it. Chiltern Street does lack charm of the Cov Gdn. I can't really recall the Soho one.
I first heard about JS one day in the summer of 1969 from a bunch of guys in Oxford Street who were raving about this new place they had discovered in Soho. Went to the Brewer Street shop soon after and then to the Ivy Shop in Richmond shortly after that. I remember the Ivy Shop being considered the better shop by the connoisseurs but never really knew why - maybe because it was a bugger to reach!

Covent Gdn certainly had great charm at a time when such stuff was hard to find.

dopeman

Reaction score
The paraboot "Michael" are an absolute classic here, they exist since the end of WW2 i think.
Thanks for the info .
I used to hate them in the 80’s , now I love them - especially as I walk a lot .
They look good with slim trousers (like in your pic) but also with baggy ( like when they were worn originally in the 40’s I suppose ) . Not many shoes that can look good with so many trousers hem widths/heights .
Take a look at the “engineered garments” thread on here, a lot of them wear them with fatigues worn above the ankle.

The other French classic I wear a lot are the Mephisto rainbows .
No doubt hated on this thread if the reaction of most of my friends over the years is anything to go by .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thanks for the info .
I used to hate them in the 80’s , now I love them - especially as I walk a lot .
They look good with slim trousers (like in your pic) but also with baggy ( like when they were worn originally in the 40’s I suppose ) . Not many shoes that can look good with so many trousers hem widths/heights .
Take a look at the “engineered garments” thread on here, a lot of them wear them with fatigues worn above the ankle.

No doubt hated on this thread if the reaction of most of my friends over the years is anything to go by .
I quite like the Mephistos too but don't own a pair either.
Yeah the Michaels have their adepts on the SW&D board, i noticed that, so have the "Thuyas" that are the Heschung version, they have almost the same design.

With fatigues i prefer to wear Adidas GAT or… DM shoes ! (Sorry Jimmy) :tongue:

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I first heard about JS one day in the summer of 1969 from a bunch of guys in Oxford Street who were raving about this new place they had discovered in Soho. Went to the Brewer Street shop soon after and then to the Ivy Shop in Richmond shortly after that. I remember the Ivy Shop being considered the better shop by the connoisseurs but never really knew why - maybe because it was a bugger to reach!

Covent Gdn certainly had great charm at a time when such stuff was hard to find.
Was told about Brewer Street shop and went in search of it.

Then heard about Richmond and went there.

Never knew anything about who owned either or that it was the same person for decades. I don’t recall seeing John Simons in either shop and the staff were usually different on every visit. They were both always busy on Saturdays and not a place for extended conversations.

Neither was that difficult to get to for me.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thanks for the info .

I checked, the "Michael" was released in 1945.
You probably know that the name comes from the "Port de Para", a Brazilian Port at the mouth of Amazon river where the rubber the soles are made of comes from.

Some old ads :
para 1.jpg

Para 3.png
The mountain boots on the right are also a classic here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads