• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
This guy is pushing the limits. To me he is the most interesting poster on SF.
Well you know, he is much younger than us.
Yesterday i was introduced to someone like that: "He is from last century!" :-D

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Although it has always been up for debate, the term modernist simply comes from a group of like minded people who were into modern jazz, as opposed to trad jazz, and wore the latest in continental and American clothing.
It has nothing to do with looking towards the future, they simply embraced the latest looks, and gadgets, they were subversive, blending in with their own surroundings, but living outside the realms of the general population.

To quote Pete Meaden

The Mods were, for me, the revolution . . . There's a North Vietnamese Army who are solid troops, and there's the Vietcong who are like Mods, who are the ones who've been fighting all the time. They've never let down the side, they've always been fighting in a minority group, against the vast armour of the American army." Pete Meaden, 1978

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This guy is pushing the limits. To me he is the most interesting poster on SF.
Well you know, he is much younger than us.
Yesterday i was introduced to someone like that: "He is from last century!" :-D
I am always interested in his postings, and maybe he is pushing the limits, but his look is not ours.
Wonder what music he listens to?

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Yes i heard that (about modernism) but you can't help thinking there is a double meaning.
I guess 60s mods today would consider Rais as a "Face" and they all be wearing techwear.
BTW he is also into "casuals brands" : CP Company, Stone Island, etc.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Well you just said in one of your precedent post that "they simp -
ly embraced the latest looks"!
Anyway i see him more like a modern skin. Much more classier ! :-D

You are living in the past Yorky ! The look freezed on!

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I did not know about the derivation of Long Johns - interesting, but I wonder if they were ever part of the Look :lookaround:
Along with string vests
IMG_8078.jpg

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well you just said in one of your precedent post that "they simp -
ly embraced the latest looks"!
Anyway i see him more like a modern skin. Much more classier ! :-D

You are living in the past Yorky ! The look freezed on!
To quote the Sex Pistols "No future"

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
For my part, 'The Look' has a million different manifestations but boils down to this, looking good without coming across as a ****. It's not easy. For instance, very very few people on SF manage it. This is not a dig at anyone on this thread but I've often looked at the challenges and 99% of the time, they're trying too hard and look as though they've raided the dressing up box. Put it this way, the last time I saw anyone who made me look twice, was a kid wearing a suit, with long-hair, on a motor-scooter in the City of London... That was about four yrs ago. There are no rules yet, there's a trillion of them.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I tend to agree with you. But i remember a post where you said something about being 'in' the latest thing (to sum up a lot). Anyway not to stay stucked in a defunct era.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I tend to agree with you. But i remember a post where you said something about being 'in' the latest thing (to sum up a lot). Anyway not to stay stucked in a defunct era.
That was in reference to young fellows. They're just kids dressing in the fashion of the day. Be it Skinheads in the 60s. Or, 'Casuals' in the 70s/80s. As far as The Look's concerned, that's a different matter. Basically, and for me anyway, it's looking masculine without going overboard. The instant too much effort's apparent, it becomes a bit feminine. Oh, there is one hard and fast rule though... No Martens shoes! Only serious. Peace.

Rais

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can't really agree with that, he looks too futuristic, could have been an extra in Bladerunner.
Maybe he rides an hover scooter?

An old Lexus actually. I think what I wear day to day is quite simple, the dramatic images are just for social media. I agree with you that a modern masculine look should be understated (in the context where the outfit is worn) and practical to a degree. Not too minimal and coordinated, not too flashy or deliberately loud. Achieving that balance can be just as high effort, if not more so, than the more ostentatious looks that are popular on this site.

dopeman

Reaction score
As regards to the Look , mods etc .
I agree with Jimmy - the point is to look ‘right’ in almost any social circles without looking like you try to hard .
Whether it’s tea at the Ritz or a pint in a dodgy boozer .
If you look at the Oi Polloi lookbook thing (https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/deck-out ), especially older ones, then IMO that is the evolution of the Look. More casual than mod / formal / Italian style for sure , but that is the way UK fashion has been since the ‘acid house’ switchover .
Armani suits were dead in 88/89 but Armani casual gear was massive then.
Sadly, the suit thing never came back until the mid 00’s with the tight fitted suit, usually worn casually without a tie. Obviously there are still occasions to wear one , however I do find at a funeral I am the only one in proper gear .

The Look is a UK thing only - it’s not a thing in any other country - despite the rise of global retro ‘casuals’ and ‘mods’ long after said groups have gone .
Was just listening to Steve Jones (sex pistols) talking about being a young skinhead after growing up trying to copy the mods and then got into bootboy/glam rock which merged with the soulboys to form punk.
Just like the old mods he kept up with the freshest music (and therefore clothes) as that’s what most young working class boys do , which is how ‘the look’ arrived.
The point of ‘the look’ was to impress your mates and get the birds (you won’t do that shopping in the high street for the latest trends at any point in past 60 years).

Now we are old and we reminisce about the clothes we wore in our youth and still try and keep ‘the look’ as we perceive it, usually for our own satisfaction.
Meanwhile ‘the look’ has gone for kids as fashion is now a global thing .
The coolest people to the kids these days are the rappers so most ape them . The only young ones I see with anything I resemble as ‘cool’ is the ones wearing the retro 90’s look, as at least you can’t walk into a shop and buy it , it has to be carefully curated and it is not noticed by the general public . Though that has changed in past couple of years. Not a lot gets left under the radar without big business exploiting it any more .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads