• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Peter Sellers !
Haha - Non!

The problem with him, by his own admission, was that he immersed himself so much in the characters he created, beneath all of that there was nothing of himself. I believe Robin Williams was similar - always feeling like he has to be ‘on’ performing and never able to just switch off and be himself.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Haha - Non!

The problem with him, by his own admission, was that he immersed himself so much in the characters he created, beneath all of that there was nothing of himself. I believe Robin Williams was similar - always feeling like he has to be ‘on’ performing and never able to just switch off and be himself.
Well that's what he said indeed, but he will stay in history foor his interpretations in Dr Strangelove and Lolita among others. He was a strange character, sex obsessed, and rather unpleasant... Just like me (oh No ! I meant the good Inspector )

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Which makes me wonder - who can you think of who was cool AF in the sixties and sustained it for the following decades?
Connery went all bald and beardy and wife-slapping
Cary Grant? (Died in 1986 IIRC)
Michael Caine?
Not bloody McQueen, who was also an arsehole in real life which is not ‘cool’ at all!
Alain Delon ?
Marcello Mastroianni ?
Benny Hill ?

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah that's the good thing with Paris, it's not that big and you can walk to the most interesting places (especially if you are staying in the center).
So you can survive even when there are big and tiring strikes (that is :almost always - ha those French)
Pity more people didn't strike over here!,,

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well obviously.
I don’t worship them as style icons. The jig was just about up by the time they became popular anyway and it wasn’t long at all before they moved into psychedelic shirts and cravats, with the nadir being Marriott’s paisley bell bottom jump suit.
When you see pictures of Plonk wallowing in the mud on his farm with his wellies and dungarees it becomes obvious the dandy period was just a brief passing phase for them as it was for most of the British ‘Mod’ bands of the sixties.

Which makes me wonder - who can you think of who was cool AF in the sixties and sustained it for the following decades?
Connery went all bald and beardy and wife-slapping
Cary Grant? (Died in 1986 IIRC)
Michael Caine?
Not bloody McQueen, who was also an arsehole in real life which is not ‘cool’ at all!
Never seen any pics of Marriott wearing a paisley jump suit, and doubt that he ever did.
A lot of Mods from the 60s remained Mods, I know a few, still cool in their 70s, but in the music biz the pressure was to keep up with all the changes I suppose, hence the image had to change.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Going back for a moment to the Crombie Challenge, I recall it was @Kingstonian who said that my grey coat was not typical of the colours worn back in the day. Perhaps he is right, so I was fascinated last night when watching Belle de Jour (1967) to see one of the key characters, a friend of Severine's husband, Henri Husson wearing a very similar coat in the same colour.

Perhaps the Inspector can tell us whether the grey was popular in France then.

On a side note, I was interested to read that YSL was insistent that Severine's wardrobe should appear classic - skirts not too short, etc. - so that the whole image would still be acceptable to future audiences. It certainly worked and perhaps there is a message in that for us today too...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Never seen any pics of Marriott wearing a paisley jump suit, and doubt that he ever did.
A lot of Mods from the 60s remained Mods, I know a few, still cool in their 70s, but in the music biz the pressure was to keep up with all the changes I suppose, hence the image had to change.
I went searching for that pic recently and couldn’t find it but I’m not making it up I definitely saw it.
I agree with the rest of your post.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Going back for a moment to the Crombie Challenge, I recall it was @Kingstonian who said that my grey coat was not typical of the colours worn back in the day. Perhaps he is right, so I was fascinated last night when watching Belle de Jour (1967) to see one of the key characters, a friend of Severine's husband, Henri Husson wearing a very similar coat in the same colour.

On a side note, I was interested to read that YSL was insistent that Severine's wardrobe should appear classic - skirts not too short, etc. - so that the whole image would still be acceptable to future audiences. It certainly worked and perhaps there is a message in that for us today too...
Grey as always been a classic color here for overcoats as much as black or blue.
The case in other places in Europe too.
For example Loden material traditional colors for coats are green, Navy, and dark Grey.

I saw two days ago a mid 60s interview of YSL. What he said was really still pertinent today.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grey as always been a classic color here for overcoats as much as black or blue.
The case in other places in Europe too.
For example Loden material traditional colors for coats are green, Navy, and dark Grey.

I saw two days ago a mid 60s interview of YSL. What he said was really still pertinent today.
Interesting. Thanks.

Apparently, Catherine Deneuve was keen to have a more 'modern' look, but YSL and the Director insisted on a more classic take. I believe she and YSL became life-long friends after that movie.

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

I used to go to a really good barber (No Inspector - barber) he did Ferry's hair on the first solo album. Keith at Smile, he did a load of other people too. Anyway, when I got married he advised me against a suit on the same basis, that it would age with time and look *********** future. Fortunately, I listened. Obviously YSL and Keith know what they're on about.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads