• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys - this is a X post from Mod to Suedehead

London Meet-up 26 November - update

Hello gents, as you know the Look Goes On posters had a London get together in July and we have put another one in the diary for 26 November. Last time we met near Liberty but this time the feeling is we should include a visit to John Simons in Chiltern Street. I had a very quick scout around last Friday for a pub to meet in and suggest we go for the Metropolitan Bar at 12.30 right next to Baker Street station (where I imagine most of us will come into). It's only a JD Wetherspoon but should be ok as a meeting place.

So far I believe the following members are coming:
@Clouseau
@Man-of-Mystery
@Aces and Eights
@browniecj
@covskin

I think @skinny legs may also join us.

Look forward to it.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Guys - this is a X post from Mod to Suedehead

London Meet-up 26 November - update

Hello gents, as you know the Look Goes On posters had a London get together in July and we have put another one in the diary for 26 November. Last time we met near Liberty but this time the feeling is we should include a visit to John Simons in Chiltern Street. I had a very quick scout around last Friday for a pub to meet in and suggest we go for the Metropolitan Bar at 12.30 right next to Baker Street station (where I imagine most of us will come into). It's only a JD Wetherspoon but should be ok as a meeting place.

So far I believe the following members are coming:
@Clouseau
@Man-of-Mystery
@Aces and Eights
@browniecj
@covskin

I think @skinny legs may also join us.

Look forward to it.
It's Tomorrow! See you there at 12.30.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Outside JS with - M-o-M, Inks and Clouseau. The look goes on?

cocostella

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
All looking sharp! Would've been curious to see a shot including the pant hems meeting the shoes, which IMHO is of up-most importance to the look.

Last edited:

Man-of-Mystery

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a quickie - more or less a duplicate from the other thread.

Below is the suit that was just delivered from Adam of London. With side vents, it is more 'mod' than 'skinhead', and in fact is almost identical to a suit I got from a mod-turned-arty bloke at Goldsmiths. We were exactly the same build, and I wore the suit from 1968 to 1970, sometimes wearing the trousers as casual slacks with a Harrington. I think after that I wore it as an office suit for a while. Not a very good pic, but I won't be modelling it myself until a) I get the strides shortened, and b) probably my graduation.

And this is the Baracuta G9 I picked up at John Simon. It's a nice piece of kit.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ looks great. Remember seeing some old boy in something like that, with pink shirt and green tie, and he looked great. A 'colourful suedehead look' perhaps. Very English and lying at the very root of Ivy/Preppie.

(...and nothing at all like the badly fitting, over-accessorised, excessively layered #menswear that the colours might initially bring to mind)

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Before the London meet up last thursday, i had the time to drop into the new Baracuta flagship store.
I was most interested in the 'new' G10 ('modern classic trench') short Mac raincoat, said to be inspired by a 60s Baracuta model, and much better looking than their 'new designs'.
Except the fact that the salesman was a young beardy hipsta' that sounded a bit pretentious, the rather small shop looked good, and the G10 was a good fit and obviously a quality garment. But the price was too high for me, and i hadn't tried yet the J.Simons Mac raincoat i was interested in.
Later on, i was quite disappointed with the J.Simons coat, and i thought that the G10 was finally a much better option...
Back to Paris, i discovered that the Baracuta website was having a "cyber weekend sale", with 30% off on some models, among them the G10 !
So i ordered it, in the lovely 'London fog' color. I received it this morning, and i must say it's really great stuff ! Nice fabric and material, good collar length, loads of internal pockets, MIE, and it's not that short...

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Before the London meet up last thursday, i had the time to drop into the new Baracuta flagship store.
I was most interested in the 'new' G10 ('modern classic trench') short Mac raincoat, said to be inspired by a 60s Baracuta model, and much better looking than their 'new designs'.
Except the fact that the salesman was a young beardy hipsta' that sounded a bit pretentious, the rather small shop looked good, and the G10 was a good fit and obviously a quality garment. But the price was too high for me, and i hadn't tried yet the J.Simons Mac raincoat i was interested in.
Later on, i was quite disappointed with the J.Simons coat, and i thought that the G10 was finally a much better option...
Back to Paris, i discovered that the Baracuta website was having a "cyber weekend sale", with 30% off on some models, among them the G10 !
So i ordered it, in the lovely 'London fog' color. I received it this morning, and i must say it's really great stuff ! Nice fabric and material, good collar length, loads of internal pockets, MIE, and it's not that short...

What a great purchase! It looks fantastic. You must post some pictures of you wearing it.

Last edited:

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Actually, i needed a new 'Mac' for quite a long time, my humble Uniqlo had a lot of wear and looks really bad...
So, as it was an 'important buy' for me, i studied different options (occasion of conversations with Cerneabbas).
From the cheaper (around 60 quids) to the most expensive (1400 quids !), and within 'the look', here are the options (of course there are probably others) :

GAP (not sure they do one at the moment, but they used to)
Uniqlo
John Lewis
TM Lewin
J.Simons
Fred Perry
Baracuta G10
APC
Sunspel (made by Mackintosh)
Aquascutum (great stuff, one of my friend has one, but too expensive for me)
Mackintosh
Grenfell (they still make one for an american company)
Burberry

I had finally decided - Good look, impermeability, and good value for money - to buy either the J Simons, the FP, or the Baracuta. I was interested (for once) in a french brand, APC, but they change fabric every year, and the actual model is made of wool blend and looks more like a coat than a raincoat. Too bad as the cut and length are good.
I was very disappointed by the J.Simons: sleeves too short, and i didn't like the fabric/material. The FP was a good option (made by a old Hackney company), but it's only in black, and there is no lining and no internal pockets. Then i really liked the G10, but i waited to have try it on to see the fit and the length. With a reduction ? Spot on !

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads