The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. covskin

covskin Senior member

Yes the thread has developed a bit since I first looked. Maybe a simple rule might be to start from wherever you are and grow it, maybe the mistakes can be made to work. Got to be in it to win it and all that.

2. covskin

covskin Senior member

I reckon the essentials remain the same but the mix of those essentials changes, he might not need a rotation of suits but even today a man needs one dark suit. Or perhaps the level of granularity changes, if not one dark suit then at least one blazer and trousers (moving up from species of suit and species of blazer to the single genus of jacket and trousers). So the essentials can change in quantity and in specification.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I agree about a dark suit,if you add a blazer / sports coat,grey trousers and navy trousers,that should cover most options for a lot of people...overcoat ? raincoat ?,white shirt,light blue shirt,ties.
    For me spending a lot of time outdoors a parka of some sort is an 'essential',but that wouldn't be the case for everyone,a Harrington type jacket would be though.
    Black plain shoes,brown brogues,a decent pair of brown trainers,and a couple of pairs of jeans,polos, short sleeve BD,and a v neck....socks,underwear...that's the 'essentials' covered ?.

Specific items for winter or hot weather are extra,but when you think of what you actually NEED its not really that much.

4. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Im trying to visualise your brown trainers Cerneabbas....Im generally not keen on trainers. Don't know about you geezers but my walk is different when Im wearing trainers to shoes. Not having a heel to plant makes me kind of bounce along the pavement. Screws up my rhythm somehow, and just doesn't feel right.
    I do own several pairs of trainers but if I've got a bit of walking to do I prefer wearing boots, usually Redwings.
    Don't know about you lot, preposterous as it sounds, I think some shoes are too nice to walk in, for fear of wearing them out or scuffing the toe on a dodgy paving slab.
    And of course you can't drive in them because a crease will form on the instep.
    They're ornaments basically.

5. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The brown trainers that I am of thinking of in that post are a pair of Hugo Boss 'sneakers' that I found cheap in a sale,they look ok with jeans in the summer.
    I have got several pairs of trainers too,useful for wearing to and from the gym or swimming baths or going to the local shops or if driving any where...pity then that I don't really like the trainer / jeans look !.

I agree about decent shoes,too good to walk around the pavements in ,the trouble is that we like our shoes so much that we don't want to wear them for anything as mundane as walking...with the limited wardrobe they would have to be worn more.
    I don't mind wearing a pair of Loakes to football but I wouldn't wear anything more expensive,the Loakes are definitely work horses.

I work a lot in west and central Bristol,lots of solicitors etc,always makes me smile seeing the women walking to work ( parkings a massive problem) wearing their expensive business suits and a pair of trainers,of course they have their shoes in a bag,but trainers are so much more comfortable to walk in.

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

Agree. Think I am developing an even more micro wardrobe within the one I have. Expanding my ties slightly to allow a greater range to the business suit. Been there before of course, before legacy suit jackets allowed a mix and match of more specific outfits. Got a green tie now and it really works to casualise things a notch even on navy pinstripe. Now thinking of getting a light blue tie, just dots like the green one, which I think might be a notch more casual (but I still draw the line at yellow!). So out of one business suit using just ties I should be able to squeeze day formal (silver/red), evening formal (black bow), business formal (navy) and a more casual suit (green/light blue?). The one suit wardrobe again, but leveraged with a proper range of ties.

What item on the casual ('streetwear and denim') side gives such great leverage as the tie? Work that out and we could be getting somewhere. Of course the tie gives great leverage because the format on the formal ('classic menswear') side is so fixed, so maybe we need to fix a format first (which is even harder lol).

So a basic format might be jacket top, trousers bottom and inner layer top (just like on the formal side). Jacket and trousers need to contrast not match but inner layer top can be brighter (just like on the formal side again!). So something like one harrington (black), one pair jeans (light blue) leveraged with a range of bright colour polo shirts. That would seem to be a minimal leveraged to maximal casual wardrobe (particularly if you are into unwashed jeans lol).

At this point you could introduce a stapress-type trouser to bridge casual and formal and further leverage each side of the wardrobe.

So
    1 navy suit
    1 white shirt
    6 silk ties

1 stapress stone

1 harrington black
    1 jeans light blue
    6 polo shirts

gives

Suit look day, evening, business, casual
    Blazer look with stapress
    Casual look jeans or dressed up stapress

Think that might work!

6ties x 2trousers = 12 formal outfits
    6polos x 2trousers = 12 casual outfits

Got to be some great looks amongst that.

I think the word I am grasping for is inflection. Inflect your wardrobe!

Last edited: Jul 18, 2015

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I pretty much agree with that except I would have a navy Harrington,I think that would go better with the brown trainers or the brown brogues on my list.
    Agree about various coloured polos to break things up.
    My most 'versatile' item is a long sleeved polo,not the pique type,I have got some Boss pima cotton ones but I guess John Smedley would be better,can be worn on its own with jeans or trousers,under a v neck,with a sportscoat or blazer....with a suit ? ,a grey or mid blue one would be best IMO.

8. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Another How To guide from Mr Porter this time
    http://mrp-live.co/7YKk

A few interesting 'rules' but some way from the Look perhaps.

9. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ streetwear, the street, gleaming white sneakers, oversized, knee-length shorts, all shirt buttons undone, wear your logo with pride...at this point I gave up reading. This all sounds like a mid-life crisis dad look to me. For people who never had it, ever.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2015

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I thought of Kevin the teenager as he got older.

11. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Problem is many people's history, attitude, vibe, etc. don't comport with the gear they sport. Posers are the worst.

12. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

London Meet-up update:

http://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/theclachankinglystreetlondon/

I did inquire today about a restaurant table but there are none available at the time we want. I think we really had in mind a pint and a snack in the bar so that should be fine. I plan to get there just before 12.30. Anyone planning to bring a good camera to capture this auspicious event?

The 'micro wardrobe':

I like the idea but it is just too disciplined for me. I am not sure either about polo shirts in a range of colours. I tend to restrict mine to colours I would have worn back in the day such as navy, white, grey. I have allowed myself the addition of black and brown but struggle with pastel or bright shades.

The safari jacket:

Having said in an earlier post that the fit was spot on I decided that the sleeves were actually an inch or so too long. I took it to my new tailor and he shortened them for me. When I picked up the jacket today he explained that the cuffs had been made wrongly and he had made the necessary corrections.

The Mr Porter blog:

I agree with all the above ^^^. What I don't get is how you can just adopt a brand new look overnight, especially if you are a middle-aged porker, and just expect to carry it off.

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

On the micro wardrobe, I just like analysing out some dimensions to play around with.

On the Mr Porter blog post, I had a thought today that it was inspired by William Hague lol.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 21, 2015

14. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

I think having the same colour buttons as the material is very classy...very mod

15. Soul Vision

Soul Vision Senior member

Have only just started reading on this thread so am catching up. I would say French and Italian movies from the sixties - in terms of looking backwards, but no one particular one comes to mind - would be interested though if anyone had any recommendations?

Last edited: Jul 20, 2015