The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Thanks for that link,some nice clothes in there.
    Maybe I will keep an eye on flight jackets in case I see one that I like,I always liked them,but they did become a bit too popular here at one period in the 80s.
    Donegal tweed in a nice cut is a timeless classic IMO,very versatile too.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

cocostella, welcome to the thread,I think that all you have pictured works for me too,definitely influenced / inspired by the past but freshened up and updated IMO.
    I envy you the climate because whatever season we seem to get rain,if we do get a summer this year my look will be quite similar to yours,one item that I have see that I might add is a Brooks Brothers linen button down shirt,looks good and practical.

3. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ a very designery inflection of the look. I had a strange trajectory in the 80s, went suddenly from skinhead to yuppie. Not sure that sort of thing happens these days but it made for an exquisite overlap. Maybe I should have continued the look on these ^ lines. Always found a music video released at that time to be very evocative of my sense of dislocation and loss [VIDEO] [/VIDEO]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
  4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Yes, cocostella, welcome to the thread! Good first post confirming that the spirit behind The Look does indeed go on. I would also wear many similar things - again needing to respect this damp climate and my advancing years!

I was exchanging a PM with cerneabbas recently about what we had in mind in floating this new thread. Does The Look actually go on? Take a look, if you dare, at some pics on the Mod to Suedehead thread of a party in Glasgow last weekend. Look at the sad bastards trying, but failing to recreate 1969 in their appearance. All subtlety is lost and the result is just fancy dress. They probably go to work in a £99 Burton's suit.

Trying to recreate 'Mod' or 'Skinhead' by copying the past is missing the point. Modernism is surely about always looking ahead (by all means with a backward glance or two) and trying new variations on the established themes of sharpness, neatness and, dare I say Sprezzatura? I am hoping we can be brave enough here to propose new styles, perhaps for this new season, without fear of being slagged off because 'we didn't do that in 1970'...

5. Mr Knightley

This spring summer many of my clothes will give a nod to the past but I shan't follow it slavishly (I hope!):

My casual outfits will incorporate some of these:

[​IMG]
    Persol

[​IMG]
    G9 in 'loden' (this is 'acorn')

[​IMG]
    FP Italian

[​IMG]
    Boss

[​IMG]
    Polo RL

[​IMG]
    Longwings

Not necessarily all together - but that kind of thing. Jeans, bespoke trou (Roger Crawford of Ilford). Loafers from Bass and Allen Edmonds and some stylised boat shoes from Versace.

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

^^ harsh but true I think. Seems to me there is a dichotomy between those who receive the look from authority in a prescriptive way and those who receive it from living tradition. How to reconcile tradition and modernism though. Function? - what is the function of the look?

7. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

Thanks. I remember my heyday fondly, but have no interest in recreating it verbatim. Sure, there's room for a few specific classics from that time, but I much prefer to mix them in with predominantly modern pieces. When you're a youngin' you might get away with looking like everything you own came from a thrift store (or even your own attic!), but I have absolutely no interest in that whatsoever. Doesn't matter if you do it correctly, still looks like a costume to me.

I won't comment on the aforementioned foto subjects directly. I have seen quite a few pictures from the "originals" who've managed to successfully have "the look move on." Perhaps they weren't present? Seemed like folks had a good time, which is most important, but again, looks like a costume party to me.

8. cocostella

cocostella Senior member

^^ The function of the look is to look cool as fuck. Again, just my opinion. As far as non-originals go, I think GetSmart manages to do this pretty successfully.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have been looking for a raincoat for a while but I really wanted something slightly different to the old very plain ones,they are a bit " Victor Meldrew " to my eyes now.
    I definitely want to find one of these Barbours and try it on and see what it looks like,the other one I saw that I quite liked recently was a Ben Sherman one,I tried on the navy one and it looked ok,seems they do one in green which is a bit of a change from the usual navy / stone / black choice.

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I agree with the comments from Mr Knightley,covskin and cocostella today, the great thing about moving the look forward is that you can decide what you want to wear and what your interpretation of the look is rather than it becoming a uniform.

I saw on a totally unrelated thread on Styleforum a picture of a man dressed in clothes from a particular period of the 20th century,he had that look bang off IMO,if he would have been in a film it would have looked perfect,but he was sat in a modern diner with todays signs on the walls and "normally dressed" people,it looked wrong to me and a bit sad,you cant turn the clock back.

Although I have many items that would have been worn years ago,I try not to wear too many of them at the same time,always mixing in modern things or something that wasn't considered part of the look ( but blends in ),I don't really want to conform to a type.

11. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

I've tried one on at JL, they're quite nice but a little stiff. Not quite a relaxed look imho.

Trouble is if you don't get it right then yes you can look like V Meldrew. Worse look like a flasher, that said it's not about looking like one it's about people that are close enough to you that are happy to take the piss and call you a flasher, or worse.

I looked at this last autumn but didn't pull the trigger. If you're looking here then it's Mackintosh, all the way, and in particular the DUNKELD SHORT. The Dunkeld is too long, the short, by definition is of course shorter but much more of a contemporary look. Comes in Blue, Grey or white. I'd knock out the grey but YMMV.

Key thing here it is made with Italian Loro Piana wool with a storm type treatment.

Cost about £700 but now is the time to get one. Have seen them at 680Euros. And a blue one at Mr Porter for £450ish You may see the Dunoon too.

For me teamed with a tootal it will look the DBs. Done some digging around and found a couple so do the same. My issue is I haven't been able to try one on though I do like how it's made up and all the parts point to a win. Can't remember which one but there is one with a detachable lining making a three season bit of gear.

when I was looking at this last year saw this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/luxury/mens-style/13793/return-of-the-mac.html

12. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

Looks like the Barbour one is out of stock everywhere online - in the UK you might get lucky in a shop, they're thin on the ground here. I have a hard time with most Ben Sherman stuff these days - the price isn't justified by their offshore production. Quality is close to H&M or Zara but at usually triple the price (with the exception of their recent Duke Street Foundry line).
    Golden Bear here in California have a nice line in outerwear, including a version of a harrington. Their macs are not cheap at $450 US but they are made in the USA.
    http://unionmadegoods.com/brands/golden-bear/

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

13. kicksinstyle

kicksinstyle Well-Known Member

I get what you're saying Mr Knightley but 'sad bastards' is a bit extreme - they are getting dressed up and having a good time with friends which is one of the best things to do in life. I haven't looked through all the pics and it's easy to look dated but I bet they looked better than 99% of the other revellers on Sauchiehall Street that Saturday!

14. Mr Knightley

Yes, you are right it was a bit much. I wasn't there and it may all have looked much better in the flesh, as it were.

I suppose my interest is not to allow the past to become our master, but rather our servant - guiding us through the challenges of 21st century life. I've had a drop of wine!

15. Mr Knightley

Superb!