Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Interesting article Clouseau,but I am slightly confused,did these Minets want to be the French version of Mods ? or did they just choose English clothes to give themselves a separate identity in Paris ?.
    Also I have never heard of Bunting shoes before.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I always looked at the cover of Suedehead and liked that look but I see it as a starting point not something to slavishly copy,same as my regard for S.Mcqueens look, theres plenty of clothes that he wore that I wouldn't have then or now.

However if we agree that 'the Look goes on', we must surely have been influenced by 'the Look' ?, how we choose to develop it is up to us as individuals ( and others may agree or disagree with us ).

That is what I find so interesting about now,that there isn't a style as there was in the early 70s that had dress 'rules',now we have to make our own minds up,that I think is one of the differences between us and some of the blokes on Mod to Suedehead who want to recreate the look from back then, that is why this thread is important IMO.

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

4. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

There is almost too much choice today and that was one of the themes running thru the thread that covskin originally mentioned. The starting point, if you haven't looked at it, was a guy who is pretty adept at the classic menswear look wanting to master the art of SW & D style. He seemed to be looking for a formula and, as cov said some of the advice was a bit bizarre. Or was it? As you say we have all looked at different people over the years (in my case some real and some fictional characters) and at least sampled some of what they wear.

I am really glad I had the discipline of the Look in the late 60s, which has given me a type of template I can carry through life that helps me judge the many options available. It seems to be especially useful in more casual clothing where few rules exist. Even so it's still all too easy to get things wrong at times. So I can see why others wish to recreate the Look from back then.

5. Mr Knightley

Yes, they are and so much better for it. If you keep in touch with threads on the CM board like WAYWRN you will note the Italian / Neapolitan look has remained with broader lapels, wider ties and more mature silhouette throughout all this recent nonsense. British guys in general seem to want a high fashion look whether Norman Wisdom suit or t shirt and skin-tight jeans and seem to have no concept of how ridiculous they look. I suppose if everyone does it you feel comfortable...

6. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I'd prefer to call 'Minets' the Mod's cousins than 'mod à la Française'. They had their particularities. 'Minet' style was under English influence (among others : French, American, Italian) as Mods had, at least at the start, continental influences.

[​IMG]
    Bunting were apparently quality shoes, made in England and sold in Paris and London. A model from the 50s.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 16, 2015

7. Mr Knightley

Lovely looking shoe! That style of branding looks a lot like Church's. I had not heard of them either but have found this interesting link:

http://hprints.com/Mens_Shoes_1961_...eld_Bally_1961_4_illustrated_Pages-47862.html

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I did read some of that thread,ok we talk and ask about certain items but trying to find a complete look / identity was a bit odd IMO.

The problem for me with rules is that a look becomes almost a uniform,the only choice being colour,as you said you want a 'Mr Knightley look',also rules make no allowance for height and build,not everything looks good on different people,I notice that shoe shops usually use a 7 or 8 shoe for display,what looks good in that size ( thinking longwings here) doesn't look so good in a 12 or 13.

I do agree that getting casual clothes right and allowing for occasion ( and weather) is a challenge,in a way I agree with you about 'almost too much choice' as well,like a menu,the less there is to choose from the easier the decision,thats why covskins regulated wardrobe a while back intrigued me.

9. Mr Knightley

Quote:I am looking forward to discussing this point on the 31st!

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have been thinking about the term 'smart casual',its subjective in fact I have seen it written with a list after ie Dress smart casual ( no jeans,trainers,shorts,t shirts).
    I wonder if there is any point in saying smart casual ?,should it just be casual ? and what does the term mean to you ? should it include jeans ?.

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

12. Parker

Parker Senior member Dubiously Honored

I totally agree, but to be fair I think that "imagine a character" advice was only meant as a guide, like asking "Who are you, man? What are you into? We can't help you otherwise"-- not meant to be prescriptive or that he should dress like a cartoon. The first response in that thread was "there are no essentials" which I thought was a pretty good answer. I read that as "you've got to find your own style". Within any mode of dress -- even those that have codes like The Look -- there are no quick and easy ways to looking good. Better to find out what works for you by yourself.

I still am guilty of thinking, "oh, this or that looks a bit early 60s jazzer or 70s rocker" or fill-in-the-blank architeype I have in my head. but I never set out to look like specifically like any other person, actor, character, etc.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015

13. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Edward Greens with soul coming away. Maybe I should go to church more often

14. skinny legs

15. skinny legs