The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

As usual I am not coping with the heat very well (same as most Englishmen by the look of it ) today it was thin cotton short sleeve BD untucked,Uniqlo jeans and Paraboot Michaels, the other day which was more humid, FP polo,cotton shorts and trainers,not very good at all I am afraid.

Why do older Englishmen wear so much stone / beige / neutral summer clothes ? it looks horrible when all the clothes are those colours ( if colour is the right word ) the odd item yes but trousers,shirt,jacket, cap ?.

2. covskin

covskin Senior member

Haha...the heat doesn't seem to bother me so much - was striding around Marrakesh dressed for the mountains in synthetics in low 40s Celcius a few weeks ago lol - so cotton polo and 501s does me fine. No shorts heresy here!

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015

3. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Walter White wears mostly stone/ beige colours - down to his wallabee shoes and his stone/ beige colour car.

And he is a 50 year old American.

The alternative "Heisenberg" all-black ensemble can be just as bad.

4. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Personally speaking Im having a ball posing around my heatwave threads. Hawaiian shirt, for all mankind jeans turned into shorts, dyed canary yellow, white Jeffrey West sandals, vintage Gucci shades... and that's just to put the dustbins out.
    Ps even though Im a loose adherent to the look, as others have mentioned, when it comes to Summer wear it can be a trifle dull

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

We need some pictures!

I'm going to a joint 60th birthday party later which starts late afternoon and goes on till around midnight, taking place in a marquee. If it were cooler I'd go for blazer and light colour trou. In this heat a jacket may look wrong.

I've decided on my most formal SS shirt in nearly black (Givenchy) with bespoke dogtooth trousers and my controversial Santoni navy suede double monks. Don't know about socks...

Update - tried sockless but Mrs K said no! Went for filo scozia dark OTC sox. Felt right.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

It's luckily overcast and not too sweltering in Nantucket, so for a "barbecue" I was just at, it was wearing Alden color 8 beefroll loafers, pique cotton navy socks, oxford cloth navy Engineered Garments trousers with a brown/olive surcingle belt to offset my shirt-- a crisp red/white/blue check Brooks Bros buttondown with sleeves rolled twice, Shinola Wright Bros watch with brown leather strap, and tortoise shell Wayfarers. Blended in just fine with the yacht club set but if someone else "in the know" were there, well, they'd have known. Forearm tattoos in a setting like that are a bit of an indicator, too!
    When it's been really nasty in Boston lately, I've been wearing olive or khaki Travel Pants made by Coolibar, which from ten feet away look like ordinary chinos. They're sun resistant and ultra-comfortable even in the muggy, sweltering Boston heat. That with a crisp white Fred Perry or a white or blue OCBD, navy Supergas, loafers, or boat shoes keep it altogether Cool.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I agree with Mrs K,for me the sockless look is best confined to the South of France or Italy where some the locals can pull it off.
    The rest sounds good though,as you say easier when its cooler because you can wear a blazer.

8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I had to google Nantucket,looks a nice place,can get very hot too.

The clothes and shoes sound the right choice for keeping cool and looking cool.

You mention Oxford BDs,what are Gitman shirts like ?,they seem pricey but they are made in the USA,I noticed some short sleeve ones here in a sale but I think that they are 'classic' fit.

Watches don't get mentioned on here much,I have to admit that since I have had a mobile phone I have stopped wearing a watch.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Summer sales...has anyone seen anything good in the sales ?.
    I had a look online yesterday and End clothing had some nice clobber and some good price reductions, Mackintosh Rain Jacket
    APC city mac
    Gitman short sleeve BDs.
    All interesting to me but size and fit was an unknown so I didn't risk it.
    They also had some longwing brogues made by Sanders for Mark McNairy ?, they had woollen panels ! I couldn't work out if there was leather underneath the wool,seemed a bit of a good way to mess up a nice looking shoe IMO.

The Ted Baker POW check Harrington that I mentioned before is reduced from £149 to £104 proving that Kingstonian was correct that it was over priced,thankfully I hadn't bought it.

10. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

I personally like Gitman Vintage(regular Gitman I couldn't tell you) as they're slimmer fitting but not skinny if ya ken. Collars are a little on the small side(2-fingerish) but not a micro-mini like a lot of the fashion brands. I haven't tried having mine professionally starched, but doing them at home doesn't have as nice a result as, say, starching a J Press or B Bros collar.
    In summation I'd say that Gitman Vintage are a great casual shirt. Their oxfords and chambrays are very 'New England' in a laid-back ivy casual way.

Watches: I'm by no means a connoiseur but I feel naked without one. I'd rather peek at my watch than join the undead hordes of oblivious, crane-necked, downward-staring millennial drones that I pass in the street each day. And by the way, I'm not disparaging people who'd rather check their mobile phone than wear a watch; I'm saying that I could easily fall into the mobile-staring crowd and need to keep myself in check. :satisfied:

Last edited: Jul 5, 2015

11. Mr Knightley

Not really been looking but have been bombarded by Mr Porter, Turnbull & Asser, etc and almost pulled the trigger a couple of times but decided against the items at the last minute. One thing I recall from the mid 60s is a lightweight safari jacket - popularised by YSL a year or two later. I wouldn't mind getting one of those again for casual wear.

12. Mr Knightley

London Meet-up.

Going to a meeting this afternoon in Regent Street so shall have a scout round for a suitable meeting place and post it here.

Shall we go for a 1230 start as Monsieur Clouseau is on a tight ish schedule?

Edit: No trains running into London from here so I have had to re-schedule my meeting for early next week!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

13. Mr Knightley

Watches - no they were not a big part of the Look. That is to say we wore them but they were not high on our style agenda then. I recall we did customise them with a striped grosgrain strap. In 1971 it suddenly became de rigueur to wear a Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck watch, which a friend of mine spotted in a small shop just off Carnaby Street.

Mine was a Mickey Mouse version with a red plastic strap and white face. There are many such watches on Google images but nothing quite like the ones we had. These would be worn with a Shetland roll neck from Village Gate, gabardine or tweed trousers, slightly flared also from a JS shop and brown Stephen Topper round toed shoes. Fragrance was Moustache de Rochas or Dior's Eau Sauvage. Hair was getting longer.

Today I also feel 'naked' sans watch and wear one all the time - even lounging around at home. I have four in my current rotation including a sublime vintage Auguste Reymond and nice Medana - both mechanical.

At the other end of the scale I also have a 'retro' Timex 300 watch from Oi Polloi.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015

14. skinny legs

Picked up this morning from the Notting Hill Clothes Exchange. Cardin, Cashmere and Wool. Any insights as how to date the thing?

15. skinny legs