The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Welcome browniecj.
    The 3 styles Brogue, Plain and Gibson were all Derbys aka Gibsons,and I think that's what has confused some people.
    The Gibson was the least seen design here ( in my memory ) and I think that is because there were lots of apron front style shoes about then and the lads wanted something distinctive,to me a heavy polished brogue meant skinhead / suedehead...well worn with sta prest and BD anyway but the Gibson was too 'ordinary', IMO.

Even now though I use Suedehead as a starting point in my ideas about clothes / shoes I wouldn't buy split toe Gibsons,maybe if someone gave me a pair of Allen Edmonds ones I would wear them but there are other styles that I prefer and would buy first,nothing wrong with them though.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Yes, welcome browniecj!

'Even now though I use Suedehead as a starting point in my ideas about clothes / shoes I wouldn't buy split toe Gibsons,maybe if someone gave me a pair of Allen Edmonds ones I would wear them but there are other styles that I prefer and would buy first,nothing wrong with them though.'

That sums up my view too but back then (in early 1970) they were very aspirational, perhaps because they were rare. Or was it rather a case of admiring them but not really desiring...?

LONDON MEET UP - update, Gentlemen: The autumn bash has been brought forward to Friday 31 July by popular demand. The idea is to meet in a pub (still to be identified) at about 13.00 in central London and to look round a few shops afterwards if we are able!

More updates to follow but please put it in your diaries.

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

I'm in Mr Knightley !

It will be very nice to meet you and the others in The Old Smoke...

Cheers

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  4. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

Yes Mate,I have made a note of it.A couple of Drinks will be fine - don`t know about the Shopping though.Have not shopped "UpWest" for many,many years.:)

To me it finished off the "Look" after that it was never the same.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

As it stands I can't get there, my loss. Though remain hopeful that my job is cancelled...

6. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

The closest I'll be is Escot Park in Devon a little less than a month later. Ah well, I hope the craic is good and the ale flowing!

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Looking forward to it.
    Planning to visit Adam of London in the morning,APC in the afternoon.

8. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

John Simons in Chiltern Street(46),W.1.would be anther good place for People to look at.Just saying......

9. Mr Knightley

It would be great to meet you...

10. Mr Knightley

I agree! Pubs nearby?

Skinny Legs PM'ed me to recommend the Red Lion just off Jermyn Street, which is great but quite small and often crowded.

Monsieur - where did you have in mind going in The Smoke? I think we should fit in around you!

11. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

In fact i will go where the majority wants to go Mr Knightley ! A good old English pub with a nice atmosphere would be the best indeed, but i'm open minded. I don't really mind about the shopping.
    I just will have to leave you around 4.30 to catch my train in St Pancras, maybe if we could meet a bit earlier, around 12 or 12.30 we would have more time together ?

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  12. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

John Simons crowd usually drink in barley mow just round the corner. Red lion is a great pub but it is not in Marylebone.

13. browniecj

browniecj Senior member

The Barley Mow looks alright or the Beehive in Crawford Street,just around the corner from Chiltern Street as well.To make you feel at home Clouseau there is a French Bistro(Hardys) in Chiltern Street.3 minutes from Baker Street Tube.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I read that Herring shoes summer sale starts next week,I have had shoes from them and the delivery was very quick.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Senior member

Thanks Browniecj. But i'm just for two days in London, so i think i won't feel homesick ! A good pint and some fish n chips would be perfect !