• Welcome to our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo We are very happy to welcome our newest affiliate vendor, Threads of Apollo, a sustainable leather goods company based out of Vancouver, BC, Canada, making premium, made-to-order, water-repellent leather jackets and gloves. .Please help me give them a warm welcome in their new thread.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Yorky

Reaction score
Not really sure that a pea coat is an obvious part of ‘The Look’ no matter how broadly the term may be defined, but it’s my attempt to remain stylish in very cold weather. Some ramblings on this topic on the blog.

View attachment 1549607
Pea coats have always been part of the look, but you could stretch what is meant by a Pea coat. I've got several double breasted woollen overcoats and some in lighter cotton mixes.
In various colours and patterns.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pea coats have always been part of the look, but you could stretch what is meant by a Pea coat. I've got several double breasted woollen overcoats and some in lighter cotton mixes.
Yeah you’ll have seen that pic of Mark Feld / Bolan wearing one at which point he’d moved some way from Town Magazine junior Mod and well on his way to hippie - psychedelia mode!

@An Acute Style has a black watch tartan one that looks good for a more dressed up version.

benj84

Reaction score
How did we know you'd have several Yorky😂

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah you’ll have seen that pic of Mark Feld / Bolan wearing one at which point he’d moved some way from Town Magazine junior Mod and well on his way to hippie - psychedelia mode!

@An Acute Style has a black watch tartan one that looks good for a more dressed up version.
Lose all that stuff on the sleeve.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m not a fan of the jumper and strides being similar colours but the chinos were chosen for substance over style. The strides are fleece lined and worked very well in the cold. The next day I wore my heaviest wool flannels and they were still markedly less capable of standing up against the winter weather. I do have some PoW flannels that would look good, as you suggest, but only in warmer temps!
The need to wear other clothing items as warm as your peacoat in inclement weather makes sense.
I read your related post on the blog. The bit about buttons is interesting too. While I understand that the plastic ones would be more 'philologically' correct, for myself I still like better the bronze ones.

Reaction score
Maybe it’s a regional thing? I’d never heard of Ron Hill gear until I went to Carnegie and all the Yorkshire lot were wearing it. Never seen it in years, didn’t know they were still going.
As a Yorkshire man, I've never even heard of that brand, but I will check it out.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
As a Yorkshire man, I've never even heard of that brand, but I will check it out.
Ronhill do good running stuff, athleisure before that was even a word.

On that note, I'm expecting some Walsh trainers anytime now... Lancashire mind but that doesn't bother me

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are the Walsh trainers still MiE @covskin ?

@Thin White Duke I remember mods in the mid-60s wearing pea coats very much like yours. They invariably had the navy buttons with the anchor design and I don't recall any badges or other adornments. They would be worn, IIRC, with jeans, cord jeans, POW or dogtooth trousers. If I were you, I should fit the replacement buttons and remove the badge - pure authentic 1966.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Styleforum x S.E.H Kelly Balmacaan: Choose the Fabric

• standard 5 — light and dark brown

Votes: 8 6.5%
  • standard 7 — dark brown and charcoal

Votes: 17 13.7%
  • wide 1 — charcoal and blue-grey

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • wide 3 — barley and brown

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • wide 5 — charcoal and dark navy