• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The hat is more formal than the overcoat.
Good point, but I guess that one should not try to dress Eden-like, unless he actually is Sir Anthony Eden.
Usually I'm not afraid to push the boundaries, yet if I sported a full and coherent formal rig, hat to shoes, would feel too conspicuous and costumey, while I try to pass unnoticed instead.
Let's say that my aim is "clean living under difficult circumstances", by picking significant items from an era I think was better, but keeping in mind that said era is no more.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know we're not High Street shoppers here - I began to struggle 20 years ago - but no talk on the demise of Burton, Topman and Debenhams? That's a big yawning gap that's opened up, in more ways than one.

I don't think M&S was arse raped by private equity or a billionaire so I reckon it will survive though I've not been in there for a few years.
I have tried since 1968 to maintain that happy combination of High Street and higher end stuff to bring together a harmonious whole, when it comes to my wardrobe. Increasingly difficult lately.

Having said that, Topman with its association with The Wonders of Vintage and Debenhams have supplied a good few pieces over the last 20 years. Many of the early Designers at Debenhams items were made in England / Western Europe and I still have a number of things that date from the early 2000s.

I get nearly all my, ahem, cosmetics from the various outlets in Debenhams, especially Clarins.

So it’s very sad to me and the high street will be a poorer place...but the middle ground is always vulnerable. Primark thrives and so do LVMH in challenging times but there is no room it seems for Burtons.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point, but I guess that one should not try to dress Eden-like, unless he actually is Sir Anthony Eden.
Usually I'm not afraid to push the boundaries, yet if I sported a full and coherent formal rig, hat to shoes, would feel too conspicuous and costumey, while I try to pass unnoticed instead.
Let's say that my aim is "clean living under difficult circumstances", by picking significant items from an era I think was better, but keeping in mind that said era is no more.

Heres a pic of your man right here ...

E020E3FE-B076-4EAD-9675-8CAB1F39F7D6.jpeg

... along with my old man!

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect to Sir Anthony Eden, the sharpness of an Officer has no equal among civvies.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With all due respect to Sir Anthony Eden, the sharpness of an Officer has no equal among civvies.
Yeah he was a 22 year career pilot.
I always feel a it sad for these high ranking military fellas who have spent decades walking round with a chest full of medal ribbons and service awards getting saluted by all and sundry, then they retire and show up on CNN in a blue suit looking just like any other schmuck! The transition can’t be easy. My dad’s past was a bit mysterious but I understand he left after WW2 and then re-enlisted so he may have found it hard too.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Cold and possibly rainy today.
Burton vintage overcoat, showerproof and warmer than a trench, and cheap wool felt hat.
20201210_104924-1.jpg 20201210_105223.jpg
20201210_105007-1.jpg
My daughter told me 'last week you had a hat like Poirot, today you look like Capt. Hastings - dunno what's worse'
The little pest ...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ correct, I'd only add 'sort' = 'comes out'.
Anyway I strongly question this assumpt! :p

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Burton vintage overcoat, showerproof and warmer than a trench, and cheap wool felt hat.
View attachment 1513607 View attachment 1513608
View attachment 1513609
My daughter told me 'last week you had a hat like Poirot, today you look like Capt. Hastings - dunno what's worse'
The little pest ...
I like this Luigi. I got a similar hat from Baileys that I wear on crappy weather. It works OK in a shower and really does help keep the head warm - much more stylish than a woollen watch cap.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I like this Luigi. I got a similar hat from Baileys that I wear on crappy weather. It works OK in a shower and really does help keep the head warm - much more stylish than a woollen watch cap.
"Tous les goûts sont dans la nature" (même les mauvais)

Swampster

Reaction score

The little pest ...
Sounds like your daughter has picked up your Anglo influences :)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads