• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think Oi Polloi in Manchester carried some Walsh a while back. Nice looking kicks for sure.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just a selection of my trainers and a few bowling shoes thrown in.

Top to bottom, left to right.
Adidas Italias
Adidas Gazelles, the white leather were bought over 25 years ago and not yet worn. I bought 2 pairs as they were a limited edition, I wear my old ones for cycling now.
Adidas Rekords
View attachment 1383382

Adidas Tokios
Adidas repros of a vintage sports boot, Stan Smith
View attachment 1383380

Fred Perry, Walsh
Dries Van Noten, Le Coq Sportif
Goal Harriers
White AMG Bowlers bought from Leeds bowling alley, Puma Bowlers
View attachment 1383383

Bought over a period of 25 + years, but none in the last 10 years, the white bowling shoes had a receipt in the box bought in 1988 for 29 quid.
I thought I had seen a recent reference to Walsh. @Yorky might be able to tell us something more about them.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Climate change adaptation - I normally reserve this golf-style Peter Millar polo for holidays or weekends, not for work! With temps here still in the 30s after a torrid week, it was time to dig into the depths of my wardrobe.

WFH 120820 .jpg WFH 120820 La Portegna.jpg
Armani // P Millar // CT chinos // La Portegna

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Climate change adaptation - I normally reserve this golf-style Peter Millar polo for holidays or weekends, not for work! With temps here still in the 30s after a torrid week, it was time to dig into the depths of my wardrobe.

View attachment 1439529 View attachment 1439530
Armani // P Millar // CT chinos // La Portegna
I have gone to a pair of shorts and sandals sitting under the shade of a tree in the garden. But then I am not working. If I had the horrors of Zoom meetings I might put a shirt on.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have gone to a pair of shorts and sandals sitting under the shade of a tree in the garden. But then I am not working. If I had the horrors of Zoom meetings I might put a shirt on.
Thankfully not too many virtual meetings at this time of year but I do have a longish one coming up next week. I shall wear something more formal for that but not a tie!

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Today my son and I went out to the country to see family. Completely casual due to extreme heat, humidity, and hey it’s family!
Olive green LL Bean shorts
White Condemned 84 t-shirt
Claret Adidas Tisch Tennis
White Beams+ bucket hat
Brown tortoise Ray Ban Wayfarers

no photos cos they’re all in the wash bar the shoes And shades.

benj84

Reaction score
How do those rekord and Tokio fit. Are they quite long? Adidas are re-releasing Japan, rekord and nippon this month but I have to get online. Just wondering if they are true to size as it's a toss up between the rekords or the nipping for me.
Just a selection of my trainers and a few bowling shoes thrown in.

Top to bottom, left to right.
Adidas Italias
Adidas Gazelles, the white leather were bought over 25 years ago and not yet worn. I bought 2 pairs as they were a limited edition, I wear my old ones for cycling now.
Adidas Rekords
View attachment 1383382

Adidas Tokios
Adidas repros of a vintage sports boot, Stan Smith
View attachment 1383380

Fred Perry, Walsh
Dries Van Noten, Le Coq Sportif
Goal Harriers
White AMG Bowlers bought from Leeds bowling alley, Puma Bowlers
View attachment 1383383

Bought over a period of 25 + years, but none in the last 10 years, the white bowling shoes had a receipt in the box bought in 1988 for 29 quid.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do those rekord and Tokio fit. Are they quite long? Adidas are re-releasing Japan, rekord and nippon this month but I have to get online. Just wondering if they are true to size as it's a toss up between the rekords or the nipping for me.
Both styles seem standard length to me compared with gazelles etc, but they are narrow so I suppose that might exaggerate the length.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought I had seen a recent reference to Walsh. @Yorky might be able to tell us something more about them.
I have had a few pairs of Walsh trainers over the years, I bought my 1st pair on a weekend trip to London back in the late 90s, they had quite heavy treaded soles, as they were originally made for fell running. I couldn't resist having my name on a pair of trainers.
A few years later I went on holiday to Cattolica in Italy, and was surprised to see loads of young Italian lads wearing Walsh trainers, but then I stumbled upon a high end shoe shop that had a window display full of them.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looking sharp gents ?

I have never bought anything from Massimo Dutti, although often been impressed with some of their stores when in Spain. Last week I was in TK Maxx where they had a display of some very nice looking DB navy blazers.

I tried one on and was pleased with the quality and fit and amazed that it was from M Dutti. Made in Portugal from lovely Italian fabric that is a blend of cotton, linen and wool, it is part lined, has natural shoulders and working cuff buttons. The sleeves needed shortening and, after discussion with my alterations tailor, we decided to shorten them from the shoulders to preserve the cuffs intact.

I collected it yesterday and am pleased with the result. Total cost with alterations was £72. It’s more 1980s than the Look but I am sure it will get some wear.

A couple of pictures and more to follow when I wear it.

View attachment 1435751

View attachment 1435752

View attachment 1435753

View attachment 1435754
I finally had chance to wear the new blazer on my Formal-ish Friday this week. Quite pleased with the fit and feel so far:

DB915F71-4071-45B3-9272-81AC5D4906BB.jpeg

B4868280-A3F4-4279-B218-525E5FA4132C.jpeg
Tie - TM Lewin // Square - T&A // Shirt - CT // bespoke trousers // Barker Northcote

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fit looks good Mr K - I would get some brown corozo buttons on it or something similar to de-suitify it a bit!

Narrow lapels get pelters on SF but this brings to mind Lazenby’s marrow lapel 3 x 2 in OHMSS.
Thanks @Thin White Duke I have been thinking about buttons. I like the smokey mop ones on my bespoke blazer but perhaps something tending towards brown would be nice here.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never got the dislike for the 'orphaned suit jacket'. It seems a peculiarly American thing to me, like 'engine turned belt buckles' whatever the hell they are.

Condemned 84 t-shirt

!!!

Makes me wonder what band t shirt I'd wear now. It would definitely be a white one, black t shirts are grebo.

Now that I like.

Last edited:

Swampster

Reaction score
I never got the dislike for the 'orphaned suit jacket'. It seems a peculiarly American thing to me, like 'engine turned belt buckles' whatever the hell they are.

!!!

Makes me wonder what band t shirt I'd wear now. It would definitely be a white one, black t shirts are grebo.
I've still got my black 'Who' tee shirt from 1981 or 82, but I'd need four of them stapled together to cover me now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics