The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Hi cerneabbas

Yes, polos are a central part of The Look. I think you may be right that only FP polos were worn by most in the 60s. We knew about Lacoste but I don't recall having one until ten years later.

I like a Smedley under a suit or jacket but on holiday or in a casual setting I am happy sporting a traditional pique cotton polo. Most of mine right now are PRL but I do have a couple of FPs - one is a collaboration with CDG Shirt.

Nice chocolate PRL on hols last year
    [​IMG]
    But sometimes the added formality of a Smedley type polo can be welcome. This Made in Italy FP (more in a Smedley style) is perhaps one of my favourites:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  2. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Am I alone in noticing a deteriation in Smedleys durability? The last two items I've purchased have been a purple polo neck and orange v neck, and within a shortish period they've both developed holes. When I complained I was told that these were most likely attributable to our friends the moths, which struck me as unlikely seeing as both holes were on stitching lines. Im reverting back to Jaeger knitwear.
    Ps for anyone looking to avoid insect damage to clothing, here's a tip; Place a cardboard cut out of Ronnie Wood in your wardrobe- a Rolling Stone gathers no moths!

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I bought my first Lacoste in the early 80s on holiday in Portugal,it wasn't a snide one and the material was about 3 times the thickness of the modern ones,it lasted ages,it was navy and never faded,I wish we could buy quality like that now.

I prefer the FP to have 3 buttons like yours Mr Knightley particularly the plain ones,the ones that I see for sale now only have 2 buttons.

I think that wearing a long sleeve polo like a John Smedley under a suit jacket or blazer looks quite effective,Clouseau posted a picture of a 'Minet' on Mod to Suedehead a while back wearing a FP under a nice looking 3 button suit,I thought that the look was good but it was in the 60s and he was a young bloke,I don't think that it would work now.

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I am going to be interested to read other peoples response to your post as I have been considering buying a John Smedley sea island cotton long sleeve shirt,at £135 they aren't cheap and if the quality isn't so good its worth knowing.
    I have got several Hugo Boss long sleeve polos in Pima cotton,I am very happy with them and they are extremely comfortable,nice under a jacket in the winter.

Any image of any of the Stones would repel any living thing I should think,I have seen better looking gargoyles.

Seriously though I have put Cedar wood in my wardrobe as I read that deters moths,whether this is true I don't know but I seem moth free.

5. skinny legs

skinny legs Senior member

Both my items were merino rather than cotton. No complaints over their long sleeve cottons which I have a few. On a personal note, Im not sure about the collar cuts with their long sleeve polos. With the top buttons done up the collar tips point roughly towards ones nipples, whereas with Boss/ Jaeger it's more cut away collar, and IMO looks better under a jacket.
    The merino wool that Jaeger use is also considerably thicker than Smedley.
    I've got stuff in my fridge with a longer shelf life than Smedleys merino

6. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I should have known that it wasn't cotton because moths don't attack cotton ( I think that's correct).

Yes I don't like the longer Smedley collars although they are the ones that seem most associated with JS,they do collars more like the Boss ones,the Exeter shirt I think,but are they superior to Boss ? if not I will stick with Boss and save money.

We used to have a gents outfitter locally that sold Jaeger,I bought the best v neck that I ever had there in the 80s expensive but worth it,I don't see their clothes for sale here now and I haven't had one of their long sleeve polos but I have seen them for sale online and the prices are quite good.

7. Mr Knightley

Back to knitted ties. My new black Sozzi arrived late last week. Thanks @Cleav for the advice.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

9. Mr Knightley

Me too[​IMG]

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have seen a Ted Baker check Harrington advertised in House of Fraser and John Lewis,in blue or red check similar to POW,the Duteful,I actually think it looks good,of course I would like to see and try one on but interested to see what others think,good or 'good grief'?.

11. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

£159? I don't think so. Baracuta prices.

Does not look that good either.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Hmm prices seem too high generally for most items, £55 for a Fred Perry polo ?, I saw this Ted Baker jacket at £149,the new Baracuta is over £220 now I think,but even £149 seems a hell of a lot for a jacket I agree.
    I bought a navy cotton Harrington in Asda a couple of years ago it was ridiculously cheap either £12 or £20,they were all gone by the end of the week never to be seen in there again,I still wear it and it still looks good,so a decent jacket can be made much cheaper,in the M&S Best of British range there is a Harrington at the moment for £199 !.

I think the Ted Baker jacket looks good ( in the pictures),I like the fact that its blue,and I think that it could be worn with navy trousers or jeans,also it looks like a summer jacket a bit of a lighter,brighter look.

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

Browsing Lacoste at an airport yesterday it struck me that the logo was of much better quality than the shirt.

14. Mr Knightley

I only had the iPhone available yesterday and the light was not good but managed to get a couple of pictures on the maiden run:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I really like the lightweight feel, the knot shape, the unique zigzag design and drape.

15. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Knock offs are very cheap. Ben Nevis ones are well regarded.

If you want Prince of Wales check, there are lots of new copies on eBay around £20. Big difference to the price you are looking at.