• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“Formal Fridays”— I like that!
It seems the trousers and suit jacket are far enough away from each other in color that it isn’t “weird” looking.
I’m sure some purists might scoff at the idea but you still look sharp. Sort of reminds me a little of an updated late ‘70s/early ‘80s ‘smart’ skinhead look.
Thanks mate.

Yes, now you mention it that must have been what I had in mind :)

Among certain i-gents I have detected a sort of 'after-the-suit' mentality, where they seek to mix and match as far as possble but, as you suggest, it's tricky...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Even before this whole corona business I found myself leaning more towards odd jackets than suits when I was visiting job sites. No idea why, maybe this was the result of the insidious creep of casualisation?
As soon as I get back on the road I think I’m gonna commit to dusting off my suits more often. It may well be a rearguard action but someone has to take a stand! Well done you Mr. K for doing likewise on a Friday!

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks @Thin White Duke

The original concept - now lost in the mists of time - behind the Friday Challenges was to say Fxck Casual Friday. So I have always clung onto that idea, even if not always following it to the letter.
It’s a laudable mission.
The whole concept of casual Friday is kinda lost now anyway in the race to the bottom, as every day seems to be a casual day and I can only wonder how things might be changed if and when we all get back to more normal working environments.
When I was a kid there was a trend for space age TV shows to be set in the future and the pervading trend was for people of the future to be dressed in one piece spandex metallic lame jump suits. It seems the costumers’ forecasts were off and would have been more accurate if they’d dressed people of the future in U-neck t-shirts, grey sweat pants, hoodies and flip flops.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad worked as an Estimator in the office of a large industrial company - Crompton Parkinson. He wore a suit every day to work except when he had to go in on a Saturday morning (quite common up to the mid-60s) when he was allowed to wear a sports jacket and flannel trousers, still with tie, of course.

Before coronavirus I would attend a meeting in London with senior managers from across the UK and would almost certainly be the only one in a tie...It remains to be seen whether coming out of lockdown will encourage people to try harder again or whether they will continue their slobbish lockdown laziness.

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My dad worked as an Estimator in the office of a large industrial company - Crompton Parkinson. He wore a suit every day to work except when he had to go in on a Saturday morning (quite common up to the mid-60s) when he was allowed to wear a sports jacket and flannel trousers, still with tie, of course.

Before coronavirus I would attend a meeting in London with senior managers from across the UK and would almost certainly be the only one in a tie...It remains to be seen whether coming out of lockdown will encourage people to try harder again or whether they will continue their slobbish lockdown laziness.
When I worked at the mine, the top management used to wear a shirt and tie underneath their overalls, when they went underground, I thought that this was going a bit far.
The last place that I worked, when I was still on the tools, it was so hot, we only wore shorts and a vest, and it was still too hot. The first thing I did when I got back to the surface was to have a cig and a saline drink, to replace the salt that I had lost through sweating.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
When I worked at the mine, the top management used to wear a shirt and tie underneath their overalls, when they went underground, I thought that this was going a bit far.
The last place that I worked, when I was still on the tools, it was so hot, we only wore shorts and a vest, and it was still too hot. The first thing I did when I got back to the surface was to have a cig and a saline drink, to replace the salt that I had lost through sweating.
Thought you said good bye and that you wouldn't be posting in that thread again ? :-D

I think we know now you worked in a mine !

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A vest you say? That were luxury. We dreamed o’ vests!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

Just very funny after such a theatrical departure ha ha ha :

"The look goes on and so have I, wishing you all the best for whatever lies ahead."

You should have a Razzy award !

Actually i put the Devo version as it is a caricature... thank you i know Lee Dorsey.

EDIT: @Kingstonian on the contrary to certain i never said i was going to leave TLGO, even if it exceeded it's age limit IMO. I will come here when i want, and feel free to comment how i want :-D...

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to see you back @Yorky !

I have always thought it must take a special kind of mentality to be able to work in a mine - not to mention physical strength. Were you too tired to have any fun on the weekend?!
I was always up for fun, but it is definitely a young mans game, and in hindsight I was glad that I got out when I did mid thirties after nearly 21 years, although at the time it wasn't easy, so many people suffered due to mines closing, and supporting companies, shops etc. " Clean living under difficult circumstances"
But the training and electrical engineering qualifications led onto the lecturing role.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just very funny after such a theatrical departure ha ha ha :

"The look goes on and so have I, wishing you all the best for whatever lies ahead."

You should have a Razzy award !

Actually i put the Devo version as it is a caricature... thank you i know Lee Dorsey.
I thought maybe ‘The Look’ was now neutral ground - a safe space - if you like?

After all, you have now set up the ‘Here and Now’ thread as an antidote to Mod and skin. While Mod to Suedehead is there for those happy with that style.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought maybe ‘The Look’ was now neutral ground - a safe space - if you like?

After all, you have now set up the ‘Here and Now’ thread as an antidote to Mod and skin. While Mod to Suedehead is there for those happy with that style.
Nowhere is safe from the long arm of the...?

Last edited:

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is that linen @Luigi_M ? It's good that you are still finding occasions to dress up.

I am still adhering to my Formal-ish Fridays while working remotely. Last week I experimented by taking a single-button suit jacket that I sometimes wear as a separate, given its blazer-like style, and bespoke Holland & Sherry dogtooth trousers. Although it has got a good few likes on IG, I am not entirely convinced:
Thank you Mr.K. My suit is 86% cotton 14% silk, but gratefully it has no sheen, and holds creases well. It would still be perfect if two sizes more.

I never did WFH even in the worst period two months ago.
I work in a small law firm and these were allowed to stay open. Anyway there were a lot of Police controls on people driving around, to get sure that the restrictions were complied to.
I was stopped two times, both late evening: once by Police on my way home, and they asked me show, other than car and insurance documents and my driving licence, the badge my Bar Association issued me (note that the latter is not an official document, as it's not signed by any public authority); once by the Carabinieri of the town where I work who, as I got off my car and they saw my face, rendered me a sharp salute and said "it's all ok sir, see you!" :rotflmao:
Of course I could have gone office in a sweater and trousers, if I wished, but I almost always wore a suit, just for the pleasure of dressing up.
It's worthy note that in a few years we passed from 'casual fridays' - which I already disliked - to 'formal fridays'.
Mala tempora currunt and it's up to 'a few good men' to show that being comfortable doesn't necessarily mean dressing like a slob. As TWD says, "someone has to take a stand".

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads