The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

The Sozzi zig-zag is superb, I have it in brown from one of SF's own @davesmith

http://www.exquisitetrimmings.com/products/Designer/Sozzi/

2. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

3. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

From the subtlety of silk knitted ties to....selvedge jeans.
    I had my first Levis in 1969 or 70,red selvedge,red tab and a zip fly and not long after these seemed to disappear from sale and orange tabs appeared and Levis began to lose quality over the years.
    Over the years I wore Wrangler,Lee, F.U.s ( Jean machines then must have own brand) and others,all non selvedge..I went through my 40s not wearing denim at all,but in the last few years have bought Lee ( a non selvedge disaster) Wrangler ( selvedge but so uncomfortable that I don't wear them),Armani and Hugo Boss ( both non selvedge,nice material but even though mid rise feel too low for me).
    I was recently recommended by one of the posters on Mod to Suedehead to have a look at Uniqlo selvedge jeans,well the pictures looked fine,reviews were good,the denim is apparently made in a Japanese denim factory ( which is well thought of by 'denim heads' ) and they cost less than £35 !.
    So I bought a pair,my thinking being if they aren't what I want they can go back or be used for painting in,well I really like them,the shapes right,the selvedge looks great,the denim is strong but comfortable,they are mid rise and I would like them a bit higher but that's not really an option these days ( probably would be if you paid another £120 but then the denim would be thick and nasty to wear).
    So I have a pair of selvedge jeans that I like,great..now what do I wear them with or rather what DONT I wear them with,I have to have turn ups in the jeans or why buy selvedge.
    Brogues and turn up jeans ? not for me now,and turn ups and trainers don't look right IMO,so I have settled on my Paraboot Michaels and they look ok.
    A shirt ? Fred Perry or check BD are out in fact any BD,at the moment I am wearing a plain polo and maybe if it gets hot a linen shirt, if its colder a v neck,but a Harringtons out,maybe some other kind of windbreaker.
    I know that others will say that they wouldn't wear turn ups now but I quite like the turn up / selvedge look, it is something that requires a bit of thought or you could end up looking like Roy Kinear as Dick Emerys dad.

Last edited: May 12, 2015
  5. Mr Knightley

Jeans! Well, I have had an on-off affair with them since about 1965.

First it was Levis. I can still remember the smell of a changing room full of jeans at the back of Mintz and Davis in Chelmsford. Trying on pair after pair to get just the right fit. No sooner had I bought them than some mates started sporting Lee Riders and overnight they became the must-have brand.

I stuck with these two makes until the early 70s when traditional jeans suddenly went out of fashion to be replaced by South Sea Bubble brushed denim jeans in browns, creams, pale greens. These were worn with a Shetland roll neck from The Squire Shop and a Mickey Mouse or Donald Duck Watch and shoes from Stephen Topper.

Later in the 70s around 1975 I got a pair of Hoofer jeans. These were blue denim with a high waistband buckled at the sides and they looked great with a pair of white soft leather desert boots from Bata.

Then came the Designer Decade! Jeans in the 80s were Jesus, Ball, Ciao, Armani, etc.

Then in the late 80s Levis came back in a big way, I recall. Then Diesel, Versace and so on.

Of all the above I recall loving my Versace plain dark blue denim the best. Beautiful fabric, cut and fit.

Selvedge? Did we care about it back in the day? Probably not. Everything was higher quality then and it would have been standard issue I suppose. Do I care now? Not really as rarely wear mine turned up.

I used to find UNIQLO a difficult shape for me but might give them another try in light of your comments.

Brown suede Monkstraps with jeans and OCBD?

My recommendation for 2015 – Nudie Jeans Straight Alf Tonal Dry. The non selvedge are obviously cheaper (about £90).

And loafers – just when we thought we had kicked them into touch the guys on the other board have a Friday Challenge to wear suit and ….loafers!

6. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I also just invested in a pair of Uniqlo selvedge. I agree, for the price, they are great! I find that the turn ups look great with my dessies, I'll throw on a Madras if it's warm enough (summer doesn't happen in San Francisco until October so I've been waiting for that haha), if it's chilly the standard ocbd and Shetland or lambs wool jumper. I know that there is a big division on whether or not blazers and sport coats are ok with jeans, but I like the look and wear mine with a totally unstructured patch pocket corduroy blazer or even a tweed if it's really cool outside. I actually got quite a nice compliment the other day wearing said jeans, Clarks and a vintage anorak from Fjallraven.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I remembered another make of jeans that I wore early 80s, Lois.
    I agree with you about the 60s smell of Levis,noticeably absent (to our age group) from Levis stores now,I know because I went in one briefly at Swindon last week.

I bought the RL short sleeve BD which you mentioned,its slim fit and it does away with excess material around the waist,a nice check in shades of blue with the logo in blue being on a piece of check the same colour (this was the only RL shirt that I could find like that and I looked at a lot).

Suede Monk straps are an idea,I think I would prefer the tan leather ones that I saw,I was tempted a while back to buy some suede chukka boots,may have been the Loake Kempton or similar but I shied away,I have never been into suede shoes yet I think that you are right they look casual enough to fit well with jeans,I must reconsider.

Following our M+S conversation I checked online for the GF and found that they had a short sale,the blue herringbone blazer that I was interested in had £30 off and was out of stock in 42" and 44",this seems to happen a lot,similarly shoe sales seem to be 'out of stock' of size 9 and 10,probably the most popular sizes? and when the sale is over the said sizes are 'back in'...

One possibly interesting item that my GF spotted in M+S for me this summer was a cotton polo,smooth not pique with more of a stand up collar than the usual polo flat collar,price £10,IMO worth a look anyway.

BTW,loafers with a suit,I don't see why not,I think that ( besides colours obviously) that the main thing would be a trouser that's narrow enough at the bottom so as not to overwhelm the shoe, I am not suggesting 'meggings' here.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
  8. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Funny that you should mention Fjallraven,as I was looking at one of their jackets yesterday,their clothing is very practical but some of it manages to look good as well, a relative of mine lives in Sweden and he lives a very outdoor lifestyle and told me about Fjallraven about 15 or 20 years ago,it wasn't well known here then but I notice it quite a bit in Europe now,I hope that they can keep up the high quality,other companies seem to have got popular and quality suffered.

I had a look at the Lands End madras shirts that you mentioned previously and I liked the blue one but I really wanted something more fitted,I know that generally madras is worn a bit looser because its cooler in hot weather.

Yes I have often disliked the sports jacket or suit jacket and jeans look,it was popular here in about 1970 but then people like Paul Mcartney started doing it which is reason enough for me not to do it,however I do think that the right blazer and the right jeans can look very 'smart casual',I think that just by wearing a jacket with buttons you move up a few notches on the smartness scale which is why the 'Harrington as a blazer' doesn't get my vote.

9. Mr Knightley

Its arrived from Exquisite Trimmings today! Very nice indeed.[​IMG]

10. Mr Knightley

And there are some nice outfits emerging on the Friday Challenge thread here:
    http://www.styleforum.net/t/480415/friday-challenge-may-15th-2015-suit-and-loafers

I cannot take part this week but, looking back, this suit / loafer combo wasn't too bad for an earlier FC:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Florsheim Venetian style loafer from J Simons shop.

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  11. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I got really into the "Nordic mountaineer" look that the Casuals were touting about 15 years ago and a few of those brands, Fjallraven, Norrona, etc..were quite nice and the quality was outstanding so, even though I'm well past the Casual look these days, I've kept a few bits and bobs that have stood the test of time.

quote name="cerneabbas" url="/t/383259/the-look-goes-on/990#post_7872666"]

Funny that you should mention Fjallraven,as I was looking at one of their jackets yesterday,their clothing is very practical but some of it manages to look good as well, a relative of mine lives in Sweden and he lives a very outdoor lifestyle and told me about Fjallraven about 15 or 20 years ago,it wasn't well known here then but I notice it quite a bit in Europe now,I hope that they can keep up the high quality,other companies seem to have got popular and quality suffered.

I had a look at the Lands End madras shirts that you mentioned previously and I liked the blue one but I really wanted something more fitted,I know that generally madras is worn a bit looser because its cooler in hot weather.

Yes I have often disliked the sports jacket or suit jacket and jeans look,it was popular here in about 1970 but then people like Paul Mcartney started doing it which is reason enough for me not to do it,however I do think that the right blazer and the right jeans can look very 'smart casual',I think that just by wearing a jacket with buttons you move up a few notches on the smartness scale which is why the 'Harrington as a blazer' doesn't get my vote.
    [/quote]

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Very smart Mr Knightley but I wouldn't expect anything less from you, what was the challenge ? BTW I like the suit,that material looks good in the picture.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Polos.
    I mentioned the M+S cotton polos for a tenner yesterday,my GF said she would have a look whilst she was out there and she was so impressed that she bought me 2,really nice material and well shaped,the collar makes a change from the normal polo one,washed them last night and they didn't leech dye (unlike the £55 navy FP I bought a few weeks ago) all in all I am very pleased and I would have no hesitation in recommending them again unlike the FPs.

Got me wondering about polos and 'the Look' though,was it just Fred Perrys that were worn back in the day ?,I bought my first FPs about 1972 a special offer in a club book I paid weekly out of my money from a sunday job,and I remember people saying'Fred Perry' Mods wore them', I had no idea about Mods I was 14,I just thought that the colours were good with the contrasting collar piping.
    Anyway are polos part of 'the Look' ?, I think that they are as a casual shirt,is a John Smedley classed as a 'polo' ? I notice that the short sleeve ones are,of course JS can be worn with smarter clothing in a way that Fred Perry for instance couldn't be.
    I would be interested to hear what others think about polos,IMO they can be quite versatile and I wear them a lot,sorry Mr Knightley but they are quite practical.

14. covskin

covskin Senior member

In the last few days I saw a bloke with checked shirt, sleeveless pullover and number 2 - in rural Morocco! I never have that conversation in real life, but I did wonder!

15. Mr Knightley

The challenge had nothing to do with loafers but rather it was about avoiding any blue in the outfit - 'The No Blues Friday Challenge' in August 2014. Incredibly hard to do actually. I had to resort to some vintage Armani and Boss. The suit is dark brown flannel (Angelico fabric) and a Made in Italy M&S from their Oxford Circus shop.