The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

You raise an interesting point,did Casual become or influence chav ?.

Yes those blokes want to write Casual off as tracksuits,and 'smart' Casual as Pringle jumpers,no mention of Burberry,Aquascutum,Barbour and other known but up until then quite exclusive brands.
    The problem for me is that once these clothes were seen they became associated / tainted with a Chav image,my GF recently warned me against buying a nice Barbour wool scarf in their check because she felt it looked too like Burberry that the Chavs wore,the fact that you haven't seen a Burberry scarf being worn locally for over 10 years now shows how deeply that image is ingrained.
    I think that most people who see the Burberry check or to a slightly lesser degree Aquascutum probably think Chav or wanabe hooligan,its a shame because it has put me off of buying some stuff that I have liked,same with Stone Island.
    As I said I was never a full on Casual,although I do remember wearing trainers,Lee ice blue jeans,Lacoste polo and Jaeger v neck jumper at one stage and that was Casual here at that time,but my then girlfriends younger brother and his mates used to travel with me to football and they were Casuals,I remember them moaning that Pringle jumpers were now being sold in the Littlewoods club book and had lost their exclusivity because now anyone could buy one paying 50p a week !...

I think that perhaps the only things that I wear now that could be classed as Casual are jeans and trainers,Lyle and Scott v necks,Farah trousers and perhaps my Barbour jacket,oh and polo shirts...actually quite a lot when I look at that list.

2. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

Well, it certainly is a complicated issue. I completely agree about associations with Chavs and what have you, however, i LOVE my Burberry, Barbour and Aquascutum. I simply refuse to let a 14 year old dickhead give me cause to second guess my clothing hahaha. Plus, if you arer a grown man with any sense of style the difference is night and day between a well dressed gentleman and a knob who tucks their trackies into their socks then wraps a snide Burberry scarf around their neck in an effort to be flash...

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

You are right,we have to rise above these things,its much the same as a previous discussion about clothes worn by known characters ie Victor Meldrews raincoat.
    I remember some local football lads saying that they had been to Cardiff and one of the locals there was wearing 'Burberry check' trousers,shirt and jacket AND carrying an umbrella in the same pattern....classy.
    All this affected Burberrys sales and their strategy seems to have been dropping the Nova check for a while ( as you say most of the stuff Chavs wore was snide anyway) and raising their prices to a level that makes people wonder if their items are worth buying now,for instance is a Burberry raincoat that much better than an Aquascutum one as the price difference indicates ? for me no.
    Barbour is slightly different in that they have always had a practical user for their jackets,recently though so many other manufacturers have been producing coats that rival Barbour for practicality and price that Barbour do seem to be becoming a 'fashion brand'..
    The bargain Barbour that I bought last year has been getting much more wear in the rain since I bought a Barbour hood to attach to it,very practical but it really doesn't look very good.
    I know that Mr Knightley isn't keen on my practicality v style arguments but since I have started going to football again I have been watching the weather forecast and taking that into account when choosing what to wear,maybe its my age but I have felt cold at every game except for one !.

Talking of cold weather,I saw a student this week wearing possibly the best sheepskin coat that I have ever seen,almost knee length and very slightly waisted it was obviously vintage but in excellent condition,you can buy them very cheap here,nobody seems to want them now ( cleaning them costs a fortune).

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I had a look on e bay and there was a Timothy Everest / M+S Autograph jacket,a beige herringbone with a blue line running through it ? very nice.
    Whilst I was looking I noticed a new navy lined Raincoat / jacket in my size from the Autograph section of M+S,will have to watch what that goes for.

Inspired I then went onto the M+S website,there is a nice looking blue herringbone jacket ( they call it a blazer),it looks very interesting in the picture,I will have to take trip out there and try one on.

5. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

6. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

A good looking jacket and a bargain too,well spotted Mr Knightley.
    Interesting having a look on e bay how much new M+S clothing there is including some nice jackets.
    One thing that I have noticed about M+S though is the size variations,you really need to try their stuff on,I had to take a v neck jumper back recently,the GF had bought me a large,but it was massive on me,the medium was perfect,first time I have been a medium for over 30 years.

8. Mr Knightley

Quote:When I was growing up M&S was the go-to store for knitwear (botany wool, lambswool and Shetland) and for underwear and socks. But not tailored clothing. Over the years, like most High Street chains it has lost its way. However, as recently as 2005 one Savile Row tailor was recommending M&S suits if you couldn't afford bespoke: http://www.englishcut.com/2005/07/28/what-if-you-only-have-200/ The trouble is, 10 years on from that piece, only a tiny handful of their stores would carry anything you want to buy. I imagine my 'bargain' originated in a London branch or possibly Blue Water in Kent. I have a brown flannel Italian made M&S suit (by Lanificio Angelico) which I got in their Oxford Circus branch. Picking up the point about sizing it is supposedly the same size as the jacket above but has needed different alterations make it fit properly and according to Mrs K its still the least attractive thing I've got! She bought it for me...It has never felt 'comfortable', unlike the jacket which fits like a glove. Knitwear is even worse. Its so huge now I have to take a small. So beware buying any M&S on-line IMO.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

10. Cleav

11. covskin

covskin Senior member

Knitted ties are the Devil's work.

12. Cleav

13. Mr Knightley

I like knitted ties. When the weather starts to warm up I do find them a bit uncomfortable due to the thickness of the material around the collar. Cleav - I expect you know of designs that are made thinner?

14. Mr Knightley

15. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

Sheepskins ! Now we are talking! I LOVE them. I think that a nice one is a perfect coat in freezing temps while still keeping "the look". I've never bought into that "London wide boy" thing (although it was certainly "a thing"). Anytime I bump into a finely dressed gentleman of a certain age wearing a sheepie he is almost always an ex Skin. Very underrated costs IMHO.