• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a spngey herring bone tweed and a Donegal tweed jacket - three buttons of course - that I wear in the colder weather and could be regarded as semi Ivy.

I just got a 1968 Kersey wool US Navy pea coat for $40 off eBay. I hate the winter but on the rare occasion I can’t avoid it this will be a great coat. It’s at the tailors now just getting the sleeves shortened. Last time I was home for Christmas was 2008. I went to the match on Boxing Day and was miserable in the cold so I’ll be wearing this jacket if I ever repeat that kind of trip.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Still a week to go guys, 3 posters from this thread entered the Challenge so far, we need more !

FC Mask Compo 2.jpg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a spngey herring bone tweed and a Donegal tweed jacket - three buttons of course - that I wear in the colder weather and could be regarded as semi Ivy.

I just got a 1968 Kersey wool US Navy pea coat for $40 off eBay. I hate the winter but on the rare occasion I can’t avoid it this will be a great coat. It’s at the tailors now just getting the sleeves shortened. Last time I was home for Christmas was 2008. I went to the match on Boxing Day and was miserable in the cold so I’ll be wearing this jacket if I ever repeat that kind of trip.
1590298977609.png

My Tweed 'Grouse hat' from Failsworth.
I really like Harris Tweed,its traditional,made in UK and at one time it was dying out and hard to find but it has made a come back.

Again I only try to wear Tweed or anything 'Country' one item at a time,you could make yourself look a bit of a berk by wearing the full Country outfit walking around a city.

As you say Tweed has a bit of an Ivy history and I remember Herringbone jackets being worn in 1970(ish) with OCBD,Sta Prest and loafers.
, 'Country with a twist' would make an interesting challenge just to see how others would approach it.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still a week to go guys, 3 posters from this thread entered the Challenge so far, we need more !

View attachment 1394186

Smart is a very subjective term.....

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@cerneabbas yes in English the name is known as in "Loden green", but at first it's a woolen material woven in a certain way that makes it rainproof (too complicated process for me to explain in English).
The hunting coats (that exist in different lengths) are very popular in France, considered a gentleman, or country gentleman garment. The best ones come from Austria (but they are also made in Italia and germany). Green is their most famous color (hence "Loden green") but they have two other classic shades : navy and charcoal grey.
I think at first they made capes in Loden, they still exist and are a traditional Austrian item.
I think i mentioned before i went to an old huge shop in Vienna that had hundreds of Loden coats and jackets.
I had a Green one in the time, and several Navy since. Next one will be Charcoal.
Steinbock is a good Austrian brand.

There are some modern styles including Field jackets but some are updated classic styles and imo they look good..
The problem here with any warm coat is that for quite a few years the Winters don't get really cold (they used too) just wet(ter).
I know that you still get very cold Winters and you would definitely get more chances to wear a good thick coat,I saw a nice Steinbock coat on E bay.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any fans of the Belgian loafer here or are they too much associated with the Pitti Peacock?

Since first seeing them on SF and elsewhere on the web, I have wanted a pair, but have been put off by the generally very high prices and slipper-like construction of the top versions such as Rubinacci and Baudoin & Lange.

I discovered the Spanish company Berwick 1707 at A Fine Pair of Shoes and noted they offer an extensive range of Belgian and other loafers all for around £165 a pair. With my birthday approaching, I mentioned this discovery to Mrs K and I have just taken delivery of a very fine brown suede and leather pair. They came with free shoe trees and a Saphir suede brush. The really great thing, living here in England, is the part rubber soles.

New Belgian loafers deets.jpg

New Belgians.jpg

New Belgian loafers sole.jpg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually think they look too prissy for my tastes. I don’t like the pointy tongues and especially dislike the poncey little bow ties a lot of them have. A subdued version like yours looks much better and it seems like you got a bargain with the trees. But I look at this style and ask myself what are they providing that some more attractive (less girly) pennies or venetians aren’t? And then as you say, there’s the afilliation with the Pitti ponces!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any fans of the Belgian loafer here or are they too much associated with the Pitti Peacock?

Since first seeing them on SF and elsewhere on the web, I have wanted a pair, but have been put off by the generally very high prices and slipper-like construction of the top versions such as Rubinacci and Baudoin & Lange.

I discovered the Spanish company Berwick 1707 at A Fine Pair of Shoes and noted they offer an extensive range of Belgian and other loafers all for around £165 a pair. With my birthday approaching, I mentioned this discovery to Mrs K and I have just taken delivery of a very fine brown suede and leather pair. They came with free shoe trees and a Saphir suede brush. The really great thing, living here in England, is the part rubber soles.

View attachment 1396630

View attachment 1396632

View attachment 1396631
Discount shoes in Strutton Ground offers lot of Berwick shoes at very keen prices. I have a pair of their regular loafers with a leather sole. I had them Topyed.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually think they look too prissy for my tastes. I don’t like the pointy tongues and especially dislike the poncey little bow ties a lot of them have. A subdued version like yours looks much better and it seems like you got a bargain with the trees. But I look at this style and ask myself what are they providing that some more attractive (less girly) pennies or venetians aren’t? And then as you say, there’s the afilliation with the Pitti ponces!

Well put. Agreed.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're the direct female ancestor of carpet slippers

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads