The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

I know you would have looked here though. Thing is i haven't owned a loafer for years, so I'm very interested.

Black calf with cut off tassels worn with white socks and an italian black mohair suit :facepalm:

I like the look of the Boston but have never owned one as i can't take to em. The Merton is another story, the choice here is fraught with danger....

3. Mr Knightley

Quote:I first wore American style loafers in 1970 - black with tassels from The Bronx Shop in Ilford. Since then I have had many pairs of Bass, Sebago, AE and still have two or three pairs in my wardrobe. I recall sometime girlfriend of the Sartorialist saying American loafers 'don't make a good foot' and I now think she is probably right. Hence looking at the English version but, like you Cleav, I am not absolutely sure...

4. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I remember buying a pair of loafers off of another lad at school 70/71,heavy brown ones with tassels,another lad who had well off parents had Bass weejuns,the only pair that remember seeing then,a nice deep brown colour that went well with his green sta prest.
    I remembered those shoes and a few years ago I saw some online,a slightly different colour 'Cognac',so I bought them...what a disappointment terrible leather and cheaply made,if I wore them out in the rain they would probably disintegrate,I cant remember ever wearing them.
    I wasn't really happy wearing loafers they always felt like they were going to fall off,maybe my heels are to thin or something,also I think that they look better in smaller sizes and I am a 10,I prefer lace ups, boots even better something substantial.
    Perhaps loafers are a bit too refined for me,but I do appreciate their look on other people,I bought my GF a pair last month she really likes them.

5. covskin

covskin Senior member

A bit of puzzlement is always good. For loafers to work for me they would need to look pretty much like monkstraps, and I don't even like monkstraps!

6. Cleav

Too true Cov, Monkstraps and DMonkstraps are under rated and fall foul of the i-gent label

7. Mr Knightley

Never part of the original Look, but can now very happily work with elements of the Look. Do they almost make loafers redundant, I wonder. Having worn my recently acquired brown suede monkstraps with both blazer and POW trousers and with jeans (more successfully I think than loafers) I am now rethinking my loafer needs...

Back in the day we had a word for things that weren't quite right - either too fashionable, too smooth or over-designed. The word was schmaltzy and I think the suede English loafer might just fit into that category if you are not very careful.

8. Cleav

I think you may be right Particularly with some of the string loafers you can see around these parts I certainly can't see myself in them

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Nail on the head Mr Knightley,I think that the Bass Weejuns worked back in the day with Sta Prest,because the Sta Prest had narrow bottoms,I like Monk straps,saw some nice tan ones with a bit of brogue punching at the front,I have never had a pair but I do find these appealing.

10. Mr Knightley

The other thing that has been on my mind is cov's idea about wearing double cuffs as a barrel cuff. I have a number of French cuff shirts that seem somehow too formal in a modern business setting but by wearing them in this way it may just fit the bill. Of course the selection of cuff-link style would be important but I'm inclined to try it.

Any other tips / ideas about re-working a traditional style while we are on the theme?

11. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

This probably isn't quite what you mean Mr Knightley, but the Harrington worn as a blazer !.
    I read an article in gentlemans gazette about Harrington jackets and it was mentioned that the Harington could be worn with a shirt and tie in situations where a blazer had been worn,although I have worn a shirt/tie/Harrington on occasion it was only going somewhere where my jacket was going to be taken off and leave me in shirt and tie ( maybe driving to a country pub for lunch),I don't really see the Harrington as a blazer replacement.
    In fact I have been thinking about the sportscoat discussion on here recently where I said I was happiest these days wearing a Harrington and trousers,perhaps I need to up my standards and find a sportscoat but they do seem thin on the ground here,I don't like the fashion ones on the high street with mock patches on the elbows either.

Interesting discussion on Mod to Suedehead about 'Casuals',interesting in that some people haven't got any idea about it and want to simplify everything.
    Casuals= tracksuit and trainers.
    So
    Mod=parka and scooters.
    Skinhead=Big boots and braces.
    The end.

12. Mr Knightley

I don't drop into the 'old thread' much these days but perhaps I should start again.

I cannot take to the Harrington as blazer substitute very readily. Just too casual. One thing that the 1970 skinhead prided himself on (with some justification) was that he had perfected the smart look and the casual one. But not everything could cross over - that was part of the trick. Most men have not learnt that lesson and hence David Cameron on holiday in Tuscany wearing his business shoes with linen trousers. Doesn't seem to have held him back though!!

Today I am wearing the double cuff as a barrel cuff a la covskin! Very comfortable and it looks OK too. Cuff links were a bugger to put in so went for silk knots.

My last sports jacket was an audacious purchase from a charity shop. A Timothy Everest / M&S Autograph in fine Italian herringbone fabric. Nearly new and immaculate for about £20. Even with some re tailoring it has cost less than £40 and Mrs K says its the best jacket I have!

Last edited: May 9, 2015

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

Harrington with open-necked shirt yes but harrington with tie no - so it fails as a blazer. I always liked the functionality of single-sided cufflinks with the bar or toggle Mr. K. Burn the #heretic!

Last edited: May 8, 2015

14. Mr Knightley

I have some Paul Smith ones with a very smooth curvy bar so may try those in the 'new style'.

15. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I
    I put my 2 cents in but those fellas couldn't be bothered... It's a subculture near and dear to me so I just left it instead of getting too preachy about the intricacies of "Casual". I simply think that some of the older posters see Casual in the same vain as Chav.. Glossing it over completely.