The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

Yes I know of Flittners. Moorgate road works spoiled things the last time I was up that way.

Such is life in the capital these days. They want lorries to deliver at night again as during The Olympics. For another seven years!

2. covskin

covskin Senior member

I am in that area from time to time, recall a shop in Eldon St with a display of twenty different shirt collars. What struck me most a few weeks back was how much the general standard of dress in the street had fallen in such a short time, from tie-less suits a year or two ago to short skinny rumpled cheap Topman type stuff. The only bloke I saw in a proper City navy pinstripe, pink shirt, navy tie sort of outfit looked Japanese!

3. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

I've ordered two from O'Connells in the past year. They are obviously MUCH nicer than others that I have (lands end, RL, Brooks) however, I have not noticed one bit of "bleeding" in them either. Perhaps I am not washing them correctly..
    Does anyone else have any experience with actually getting authentic madras to bleed?

4. Kingstonian

Yes way back. Imported bleeding madras from the Ivy Shop in Richmond. Colour flooded out of them. Fabric was thicker than O'Connells.

I did read somewhere that the passage of time may have inhibited the bleeding process but I don't buy that myself.

5. Kingstonian

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

Last edited: May 2, 2015

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I dont know if anyone will be interested but I was just looking on Loakes website,and in their special offers they have the Royal in brown at £145.
    Also I read somewhere online today that the Allen Edmonds Macneill in walnut grain has been discontinued,seems a shame if that's true.

8. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Not sure about the skinhead girl - not my type!

Royal in brown? Didn't know they even did one. I'll have a look.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

They don't generally do the Royal in brown Mr K,its usually in burgundy,the brown ones are limited availability special offer,its a good price.

BTW,I looked at the Ralph Lauren short sleeve check BDs in John Lewis today,I don't usually bother with them because of the logo,but there was one subdued blue check with a blue logo that hardly showed and I am quite tempted,I also like the cotton windbreaker but the navy one has a white logo that stands out a mile,a pity.

10. Mr Knightley

Just looked at the 'espresso' Royals. Nice colour and I might just give them a try. Thanks.

11. Kingstonian

I have burgundy Royals and they are a bit too shiny.

I prefer Hoggs of Fife Kenmore brogues in a pebble grain with a Dainite sole. They are Loake - you can tell from the join on the inside of the shoe. They often have discounts so price similar to Loake.
    https://www.fifecountry.co.uk/shoes...h-handmade-shoes/kenmore-longwing-brogue-4155

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have always thought that it was an odd choice for Loake to make the Royal in burgundy but not in brown,if I was them I would have made it in tan as an experiment to see how it sold.

I check the special offers part of the Loake site to see if they ever make the Hoxton again,its a brogue ( not longwing) and the black ones look very like brogues that I remember being worn here about 1970,I was still at school and I had to have cheaper brogues as I was still growing,I haven't given up finding a pair of Hoxton in my size on e bay.

I prefer the dainite sole myself,longer lasting,non slip and I think they may be slightly more flexible,more comfortable for me anyway,I only wear leather soles in dry weather,I would have definitely had those brown Royals at £145 if they had a dainite sole,I do love a bargain.

I will look at the Hoggs of Fife brogues,one thing that Loake and some other shoe makers are doing which I don't like is putting metal eyes on the lace holes of the brogues,I don't mind it on boots but I don't think that it looks right on shoes.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Have looked at the Hoggs of Fife Kenmore and I agree with Kingstonian that I would prefer them to the Royal,I like the pebble grain but I know that some find it too country,be interesting to know which last shape they are.

14. Mr Knightley

I think, on reflection that the 'shiny' finish would not be right for me - even at that price.

That join in the instep is also something hard to live with.

Dainite soles IMO restrict a shoe to winter use and for me leather provides a more versatile choice, albeit less robust.

My top priority shoe wise is a suede loafer in brown. Any ideas guys?