Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

They're an Americanfishing/hunting/outdoors company-- so typically very generous sizing and not as "refined" as, for instance, Barbour. Good, hardwearing togs though.

Also, check out C.C. Filson. Their sizing is more versatile.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

2. AngryYoungPoor

AngryYoungPoor Senior member

That is one hell of a coat !

3. AngryYoungPoor

Long time lurker... This is a great thread! I'm an "ex" skin (it never really goes away does it haha?) from the U.S., and as I get older, I try to maintain the "look" without looking like a 15 year old boy. I find that mixing ivy with some of the staples is working very well for me. Anyway, carry on gentleman.

4. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Thanks, boss. I'm quite happy with it; it's something different and has an extra touch of class with the PoW check.

I'm in the same boat as you with being an old/ex- skinhead and maintaining some semblance of style and class, sans the pinoccio boots and McDonald's employee-looking checked shirts. This thread and the "mod to suedehead" thread are great, if lengthy reads and have a great deal of relevance to the looks that I(and I assume you)personally maintain.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2015

5. covskin

covskin Senior member

Well I think I am running out of steam a bit, refreshed the wardrobe so good for the next decade! Can tell you where I see myself in ten years time in terms of outfits:

* Black Tie white bow

* Black jacket modernised morning dress

* Navy suit mauve/pink pinstripe

* Navy blazer PoW trousers/light chinos

* Harrington pullovers polos 501s

Double cuffs worn as barrel cuffs, top shirt button undone under tie, nod to Casual with pink/mauve polos, whole attitude is Mod, still a Skinhead inside, no accessories, even less stuff than now.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

6. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Quote:Interesting, cov How do you wear a double cuff as a barrel?

7. covskin

covskin Senior member

Wrongly! - overlapping the cuffs instead of splaying them out as normal, catch less on a desk, etc so functional. Can also fanny about doing them up normally but only through three holes for some evening 'cocktail cuff' action.

(think my first hired Black Tie outfit came with single cuffs and I was shown on the night to overlap them)

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015

8. AngryYoungPoor

I've been reading the mod to suedehead thread since 2010.. It's really, really good. I just never contributed because between "Get Smart" and yourself the "35-45 year old American skinhead who got into it through punk" thing was officially covered haha. I just thought that my experience was so parallel to the two of you that I couldn't really add a fresh perspective.
    This thread, however, is exactly what I'm going through in life so I think I can add a little more over here haha.
    Anyway, back on topic...
    How do you fellas feel about the 3/2 roll sack jackets? That's one part of "the Ivy look" that I am having a hard time with. Coming from the skinhead look, I just do not like the shapelessness of those jackets. I've tried a few, but I feel, well, tubular in them hahaha.

9. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Welcome AYP!

I agree entirely about the sack jackets. They were one (short-lived) skinhead item I could not really embrace. They made something of a comeback here in the 80s when there was a return, in London at least, to something approximating the look I was favouring around the summer of 1970 - Bleeding Madras sack jacket, BD, chinos/Sta Prest and penny loafers. Again it did not hang around long here although John Simons of course continue to promote that look.

There has been a debate on this thread and on the Mod to Suedehead one about whether J Simons or the current Milanese / Pitti look is the true successor to 'the Look' in the 21st Century. I am tending more and more towards elements of the latter (but still visit the great man whenever I am in that part of London).

10. covskin

covskin Senior member

Ha ha...but three button modsuits are the very definition of tubular!

I don't really see an Ivy connection in general*, just a few particular items which had by my time lost any Ivy significance they may (or may not) have had. The sack jacket was not one of those items but I can see how it might have significance for an American in developing their particular look. The nearest I get are a couple of my old suit jackets from around 2000 in a 3 roll 2.5 with a little waist suppression that work quite well on their own due to their fairly straight silhouette. They just don't seem to miss their trousers like an English silhouette jacket with a more suppressed waist and squarer shoulders.

* you can already see the essence of the look in old UK adverts of blokes in their Daks trousers, pullovers and tennis shirts like this one from 1963 http://retrodundee.blogspot.co.uk/2010/04/draffens-daks-ad-1963.html?m=1
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015

11. AngryYoungPoor

I guess that it is the lack of darts that makes me look like a breakfast banger in them haha! I'm sure that it's mostly to due with my body shape. I'm 5'11", but only have a 30" inseam so if the waist is not suppressed, the look is just BAD on me haha!
    I've been mixing the "Ivy" look with a little more of an Anglo angle. The terms are a bit stupid honestly haha. I do like the Italian "Pitti" look on others... It's definitely interesting,but it's a little too flash for me to pull off.

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Thanks for that,Orvis have certainly got an odd ( but interesting ) mix of clothes including leather jackets and suede harringtons.

I decided to go for a navy Harrington.......almost inevitably out of stock in large...

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Welcome AYP,its interesting for me to read what people from different places who shared the same 'Look' wear now.

I have always thought that 60s/70s American tv and films were a huge influence on 'the Look' here, I am not sure if it was Ivy or a lot of more mainstream stuff ?,American people that I saw on tv then seemed to dress sharper and wear lighter colours than most of the people that I saw here.

About the sack jackets,I have been thinking about buying a sports coat,and I read an interesting article on The Art of Manliness site showing the differences between a suit jacket a blazer and a sports coat,I wear a blazer and trousers occasionally but I wanted something for day / casual wear,the sack jacket didn't really seem to go with any of my other clothes,not really the look that I wanted,some of the other jackets looked a bit too country gent.

To be honest I am probably happiest wearing a Harrington with jeans or a pair of trousers and shoes these days.

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I have been thinking a lot about what 'the Look ' is now after Kingstonian mentioned V.Meldrew wearing some decent kit.

Maybe this is ridiculous but perhaps the acid test for me is to think 'if there was a second coming of Steve Mcqueen in 2015,as a man in his 50s,would he wear that ?' if the item in question is a BS harrymac then the answer is no, but what would he wear ?.

I like some of the Milanese look but like covskin I prefer a bit of a simpler look with no (or few ) accessories,I also like some of J Simons clothes I noticed a JS zipper jacket that looked a nice alternative to a Harrington,I suppose J.Simons is nearer to 'the Look' for me.

15. AngryYoungPoor

I'm with you on the Steve McQueen thing! He is my (and I'm sure many others) sartorial benchmark.
    I've always been a fan of juxtaposition in style. For instance, I am very heavily tattooed, but I like to go above and beyond with my outfits to kind of tone down my tattoos.
    If I'm wearing a Fred Perry polo, chinos and trainers I look like a criminal and no one sits next to me on the train haha.
    If I have a navy blazer, chinos, weejuns and a nice button down, old ladies sit next to me and tell me how nice I look hahaha!
    I'm definitely at a point in my life where I absolutely do not want to portray a "hooligan" image, but I still consider "the look" important. This thread has been great for me because I don't see many fellas who are similar in age and experience in San Francisco who are moving towards the toned down "look". If anything I've seen a disturbing trend in this city of grown men going through some kind of mid life crisis an BECOMING "skinheads" at the ripe age of 35-45 hahaha!
    It's truly revolting...