• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s this seam you’re all on about?
This seam that JS once pointed out to me as a sign of cost-cutting:
ACB5F200-8C3A-4B4D-8476-8C5FF23BD1DC.jpeg
E6BF72C9-F40F-47E5-9451-385AAFD877FF.jpeg

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see the extra seam on the suede pair but not on the burgundy longwings above??

On that suede pair it looks like a way to squeeze more shoe out of a hide by cutting and using smaller strips of leather. Same way you see on some bike jackets or sheepskin bombers that have extra seams so a jacket can be assembled from smaller scraps of leather.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see the extra seam on the suede pair but not on the burgundy longwings above??

On that suede pair it looks like a way to squeeze more shoe out of a hide by cutting and using smaller strips of leather. Same way you see on some bike jackets or sheepskin bombers that have extra seams so a jacket can be assembled from smaller scraps of leather.
Precisely - and JS said that Loake shoes were ‘an embarrassment really’ because of that. I think I can just spot it on the long wings too.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When this current virus/lockdown situation is over I think that we are going to be in a very different situation than we were in many ways,obviously financially but I think that ideas on importing items from far away countries with cheaper labour may change too.
We as a society have perhaps relied too much on foreign made items and an emergency somewhere else affects the supply chain to us.

I see aeroplanes all the time as I live under a flight path but I havent seen an aeroplane for 10 or 11 days now,pollution has declined and I notice the birds are much noisier and seem more active.
I wonder if the days of ordering a shirt online,finding out that the cotton was grown in the USA transported to Mauritius/TurkeyVietnam/Sri Lanka etc etc made into a shirt and the finished item transported back to the USA and then sent out to me in England are over ?

So I have been wondering,IF buying clothes/shoes from the 3rd World stopped how would it affect me ?
Buying cheap items from GAP,Next,Uniqlo even M&S or John Lewis etc wouldnt happen.
So we could "we" (meaning us on TLGO,in Western countries) clothe ourselves from items made in Western countries ?
Shoes YES
Socks YES
Under clothes ?
Trousers/Suits...a lot of 'British Wool' items but made into clothes in 3rd World coutries.
Jeans YES
Jumpers YES
Shirts YES
Raincoats/jackets YES

Could the small clothing/shoe industry that has survived here be expanded to clothe the whole countries though ?

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When this current virus/lockdown situation is over I think that we are going to be in a very different situation than we were in many ways,obviously financially but I think that ideas on importing items from far away countries with cheaper labour may change too.
We as a society have perhaps relied too much on foreign made items and an emergency somewhere else affects the supply chain to us.

I see aeroplanes all the time as I live under a flight path but I havent seen an aeroplane for 10 or 11 days now,pollution has declined and I notice the birds are much noisier and seem more active.
I wonder if the days of ordering a shirt online,finding out that the cotton was grown in the USA transported to Mauritius/TurkeyVietnam/Sri Lanka etc etc made into a shirt and the finished item transported back to the USA and then sent out to me in England are over ?

So I have been wondering,IF buying clothes/shoes from the 3rd World stopped how would it affect me ?
Buying cheap items from GAP,Next,Uniqlo even M&S or John Lewis etc wouldnt happen.
So we could "we" (meaning us on TLGO,in Western countries) clothe ourselves from items made in Western countries ?
Shoes YES
Socks YES
Under clothes ?
Trousers/Suits...a lot of 'British Wool' items but made into clothes in 3rd World coutries.
Jeans YES
Jumpers YES
Shirts YES
Raincoats/jackets YES

Could the small clothing/shoe industry that has survived here be expanded to clothe the whole countries though ?
I think that once the Covid-19 epidemic has died down that it won't take long for society to go back to its old ways, people soon forget!
The banks, politicians and business bosses will revert back to their greedy ways.
I hope that things will change and people realise, that we don't have to rely on those in "power" as much. Where I live, I have noticed that over the years, society has changed dramatically, the old working class no longer exists, we have an underclass and I don't mean that to sound derogatory, it's just the way that things have become. The old working classes have become more middle class, this is because of the non existence of jobs that would once upon a time have been classed as working class.
I still consider myself to be working class, but in actual fact I am probably middle class, in my life style. I have gone from being an electrical engineer working in a coal mine, to a job lecturing, but now lucky enough to be able to be semi retired, and work when it suits me, which at the moment is not at all.
This brings me back to clothes and style, and the lack of it in the broader society, I don't expect everybody to dress in our "look", as that would be boring, but I think that our throw away society , encourages a lack of imagination. As a young teenage Mod, l could guarantee that when I met up with my mates, that we would all look different, but follow a code.
This was partly due to oneupmanship, where you wouldn't let mates know where you got your latest gear from, same style different label etc.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A slight diversion. Respect to Mr.Knightley for his well kept slippers. See Church’s thread on CM.

I have to confess my own slippers are from Shoe Zone cost £5 a pair. They are fabric uppers so no need for polish and they have never seen a shoe tree.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that once the Covid-19 epidemic has died down that it won't take long for society to go back to its old ways, people soon forget!
The banks, politicians and business bosses will revert back to their greedy ways.
I hope that things will change and people realise, that we don't have to rely on those in "power" as much. Where I live, I have noticed that over the years, society has changed dramatically, the old working class no longer exists, we have an underclass and I don't mean that to sound derogatory, it's just the way that things have become. The old working classes have become more middle class, this is because of the non existence of jobs that would once upon a time have been classed as working class.
I still consider myself to be working class, but in actual fact I am probably middle class, in my life style. I have gone from being an electrical engineer working in a coal mine, to a job lecturing, but now lucky enough to be able to be semi retired, and work when it suits me, which at the moment is not at all.
This brings me back to clothes and style, and the lack of it in the broader society, I don't expect everybody to dress in our "look", as that would be boring, but I think that our throw away society , encourages a lack of imagination. As a young teenage Mod, l could guarantee that when I met up with my mates, that we would all look different, but follow a code.
This was partly due to oneupmanship, where you wouldn't let mates know where you got your latest gear from, same style different label etc.
Agree with both your posts. Without drifting too far off topic, Marks and Spencer is symptomatic of the problem. I remember when they had the St. Michael brand. I still have one of their carrier bags. The proud boast was 90% ‘made in the UK’. Huddersfield cloth, unsung knitwear companies in the East Midlands. Then they started to believe they could do no wrong and concentrated on their share price. Globalisation followed and it has been downhill since and they still don’t know what went wrong.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A slight diversion. Respect to Mr.Knightley for his well kept slippers. See Church’s thread on CM.

I have to confess my own slippers are from Shoe Zone cost £5 a pair. They are fabric uppers so no need for polish and they have never seen a shoe tree.
I wear an old pair of moccasins, but mainly bare feet in the house.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree with both your posts. Without drifting too far off topic, Marks and Spencer is symptomatic of the problem. I remember when they had the St. Michael brand. I still have one of their carrier bags. The proud boast was 90% ‘made in the UK’. Huddersfield cloth, unsung knitwear companies in the East Midlands. Then they started to believe they could do no wrong and concentrated on their share price. Globalisation followed and it has been downhill since and they still don’t know what went wrong.
Funny when we were clearing the wife's Aunties house after she died, we found loads of old carriers and boxes, a St. Michael one included.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A clear example on Loake Royal. They could have spent more and tucked the join behind the big strip of leather at the back of the shoe.

On the top left of the photo there is also a smaller join between the bottom of the flap for the laces and the top of the longwing broguing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads