• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Think black was right for me. Goes with my colouring and I like its lack of lustre against blue/mauve/pink. My #sprezz!

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Quote: I find it annoying that the big stores...Debenhams,John Lewis,House of Fraser and M&S show something online ( and don't say that its just available online ) so you make a trip to their nearest big store and search around in vain,there also seem to be fewer assistants with any knowledge ( or interest) at the shops.

Buying online is always a bit of a risk IMO,even when you know your size the item can come in a slightly different shade to the picture,I end up feeling relief if the purchase is ok and I don't have to send the item back.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Thanks cerneabbas, took my eye off the ball and nearly missed it, but an Aquascutum Broadgate raincoat is now in my shopping trolley. Sized up from 38" to 40R - think a raincoat needs that - the 38R was a little tubular on me. Sleeves seem to be 25.5" as per the sizing chart, which is maybe 0.5" too long for me, but once again I think a raincoat can take it. In black, Get Carter style!
I am glad that you got what you wanted and saved some money too.

I intend to go in H-o-F today so I will have a look at the raincoats,seems to be pot luck whats actually in the store though.

Jack Carters clothes including the black raincoat were covered in the bamf style site that I mentioned the other week,one of my favourite films,things were changing rapidly stylewise then,mostly for the worse IMO.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Jack Carters clothes including the black raincoat were covered in the bamf style site that I mentioned the other week,one of my favourite films,things were changing rapidly stylewise then,mostly for the worse IMO.

You can best see the coming change for the worse in Caine's hairstyle I reckon, just a bit too long and curly, and in the long red leather coat and brown two-tone sunglasses worn by one of the blokes sent after him. Get Carter is a great record of time and place and ambience. Everything really did seem to be black soot, white concrete and maroon splashes of colour back then!

Edit: just looked at some stills, the long leather coat isn't red and the brown sunglasses aren't two-tone, but they are there in prototype lol

Last edited:

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree (about on line purchasing) so tend only to buy very 'safe' things on line like certain accessories where there should not be a fit problem but even so there can be disappointments in quality and shade, as you say.

I just took a delivery from Mr Porter, which did not disappoint. Turned up on the nominated day around 1100, was beautifully presented and the contents are exquisite - two pairs of Bresciani knee-length cotton sox and some Paul Smith 'robot' cufflinks. A little Easter treat to me!

@LA Guy has done his stuff and I am back
bigstar[1].gif

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree (about on line purchasing) so tend only to buy very 'safe' things on line like certain accessories where there should not be a fit problem but even so there can be disappointments in quality and shade,  as you say.

I just took a delivery from Mr Porter, which did not disappoint.  Turned up on the nominated day around 1100, was beautifully presented and the contents are exquisite - two pairs of Bresciani knee-length cotton sox and some Paul Smith 'robot' cufflinks.  A little Easter treat to me!

@LA Guy
 has done his stuff and I am back
bigstar%5B1%5D.gif

Yup, you can't fault Mr. Porter for accessories. I justified it as an Easter gift for me, too.:D
I got a beautiful Dunhill pocket square and tie presented in a Mr Porter cloth bag, and took a slight chance on a nice APC POW check mac(the chance being that I hadn't bought APC for a few years and wasn't 100% sure about sizing). The measurements looked right so I went for it. A really beautiful spring/summer piece(cotton/linen blend), very minimalist with no cuff straps/buttons or other crap, set-in sleeves, etc. Upon receipt I knew all I had to do was bring it to my tailor to have the sleeves shortened.

509578_mrp_in_xl.jpg

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yup, you can't fault Mr. Porter for accessories. I justified it as an Easter gift for me, too.
biggrin.gif

I got a beautiful Dunhill pocket square and tie presented in a Mr Porter cloth bag, and took a slight chance on a nice APC POW check mac(the chance being that I hadn't bought APC for a few years and wasn't 100% sure about sizing). The measurements looked right so I went for it. A really beautiful spring/summer piece(cotton/linen blend), very minimalist with no cuff straps/buttons or other crap, set-in sleeves, etc. Upon receipt I knew all I had to do was bring it to my tailor to have the sleeves shortened.

509578_mrp_in_xl.jpg
Now I do like that coat,decent looking and slightly different to what I normally see being worn,i guess that's the upside to internet shopping because I wouldn't get to see something like that in the shops.

I mentioned the Ben Sherman 'harrymac' which I thought looked good in the pictures that I saw online, I actually got to try one on in House of Fraser yesterday and I was shocked at how thin the (unlined) material was and how it just looked all wrong plus a button was coming off,that could have been another online shopping mistake for me,cheaply made junk.

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Now I do like that coat,decent looking and slightly different to what I normally see being worn,i guess that's the upside to internet shopping because I wouldn't get to see something like that in the shops.

I mentioned the Ben Sherman 'harrymac' which I thought looked good in the pictures that I saw online, I actually got to try one on in House of Fraser yesterday and I was shocked at how thin the (unlined) material was and how it just looked all wrong plus a button was coming off,that could have been another online shopping mistake for me,cheaply made junk.

I hear you; there was a Ben Sherman shop about two miles from me(shut after a year), and the quality of 90% of their stock left a lot to be desired.
Here in the Hub of the Solar System, there are some shops which carry APC and other stuff but not the above coat. As I explained, it was a gamble, albeit one that I won. Also having tried on many of their jackets in the past I had a vague notion of APC's fit. Additionally, I'm Mr Average: 17/34 shirt, 34" waist, and in relatively good shape, so most off-the-peg clothes fit me well, aside from having to hem trousers to a stubby 30" inseam, and put new shirts in the dryer to shrink the arms a half inch.
The mac has a nice(sewn-in, not removable) lining and is well constructed, though one feature I miss is the pass-through handwarmer pockets. I guess I could have my tailor alter that if I wanted.
Anyways yeah, a great coat, albeit costly. It would be at home in this thread's discussions, or I believe, the mod to suedehead thread as well.

Last edited:

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I hear you; there was a Ben Sherman shop about two miles from me(shut after a year), and the quality of 90% of their stock left a lot to be desired.
Here in the Hub of the Solar System, there are some shops which carry APC and other stuff but not the above coat. As I explained, it was a gamble, albeit one that I won. Also having tried on many of their jackets in the past I had a vague notion of APC's fit. Additionally, I'm Mr Average: 17/34 shirt, 34" waist, and in relatively good shape, so most off-the-peg clothes fit me well, aside from having to hem trousers to a stubby 30" inseam, and put new shirts in the dryer to shrink the arms a half inch.
The mac has a nice(sewn-in, not removable) lining and is well constructed, though one feature I miss is the pass-through handwarmer pockets. I guess I could have my tailor alter that if I wanted.
Anyways yeah, a great coat, albeit costly. It would be at home in this thread's discussions, or I believe, the mod to suedehead thread as well.
Ben Shermans 'quality' seems variable,the raincoat that I bought last year was ok for the money paid,a Harrington that I bought has a nice 'body' but the cuff material is rubbish.

The only plus side to my shopping trip was that I bought a Fred Perry polo,Light smoke a sort of blue / grey marl with subdued piping and logo,nice fit,material ok but well over priced IMO.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I love the mac, Botolph and, despite some criticism here on SF from a few posters I cannot fault Mr Porter either. Great service, the products rarely disappoint and the packaging is a thing of beauty in itself!

I agree about Ben Sherman. I have just retired a Ben Sherman suit after 10 years of fantastic service. The black material had an interesting herringbone weave; the lining was of a high quality as was the overall make and finish. In the end it started to 'show its teeth', as black does, around the edges and the button holes - so it had to go. But try to find anything similar today....

If any British members are in London I recommend trying the area around Shoreditch High Street, which is being beautifully restored and right now is a great mix of graffiti-covered old walls, new stylish shops and bars and some graceful redbrick apartment blocks. I have heard it described as similar to parts of Berlin. Some shops worth trying - APC, Sunspel, Nudie Jeans and Murdock London for hair and shaving essentials.

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

If any British members are in London I recommend trying the area around Shoreditch High Street, which is being beautifully restored and right now is a great mix of graffiti-covered old walls, new stylish shops and bars and some graceful redbrick apartment blocks. I have heard it described as similar to parts of Berlin. Some shops worth trying - APC, Sunspel, Nudie Jeans and Murdock London for hair and shaving essentials.

The East End is not really for me. Hoxton has some great Vietnamese restaurants but I would not shop there. Bethnal Green has E Pellicci cafe and Petticoat Lane but a lot of the pubs have closed or been taken over by a hipster crowd. Pride of Spitalfields is still a lovely old boozer though. Indian restaurants off Commercial Road are the ones to use - not Brick Lane.

covskin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Shoreditch is just a colony for underachieving offspring of the middle class. Give me the strippers anytime.

cerneabbas

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone on here bought anything from Orvis ? I have seen a Harrington that looks good in the pictures and some polos and long sleeve polos,just wondering what anyones experience with them might have been.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads