• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Look goes on...

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Do you not see that as a good thing? An exchange of differing viewpoints is probably more productive than us all being monolithic in our views which would lead to one of the downfalls of MtS where the trend is just to keep recycling old pics of skinheads and debating what boots they’re wearing.
I do! The problem is when some only accept their own point of view like if they were "superior"... we had several like that...

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There were no Mods or skins in 1958!
In 1968 I was too young to remember any pandemic and the main war then was the Vietnam War which we Brits decided to sit out (thankfully!) so it had little to no impact anyway in Britain.
Hmm, Wikipedia puts the start as 1958, and more generally as "emerging in the late 1950s". What is your opinion of the start of the movement, if it is possible to define such a thing?

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hmm, Wikipedia puts the start as 1958, and more generally as "emerging in the late 1950s". What is your opinion of the start of the movement, if it is possible to define such a thing?
Hard to say really as it was an underground movement that evolved / coalesced from a few different sources: fans of MODern jazz whose tastes evolved to include r and b, blues, soul; semi wealthy kids from Jewish or Italian families who either had spending cash and/or had people in the tag trade giving them access to swanky threads, leading to use of scooters by suburban kids to get around (I read that comparatively few central London Mods had scooters as they feared theft plus had no need of them as they used London Transport).
Absolute Beginners is often cited as the first literary source, set in 58, written in 59 and the word ‘Mod’ is not mentioned in the book once. Nor in the cast of characters is there a recognisable group mentality when it comes to style etc. The main character (unnamed) takes a pride in his clothes but doesn’t spend a lot of time describing them, and gets through the book seemingly in one outfit. He acquires a Vespa scooter off another character but it’s not personalised or customised. I’d say 1960 is as good a demarcation line as any to note when there was any kind of recognizable group movement but it’s only a guess. The Scene club opened in 63. Skins grew out of Mods in the late sixties.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the current lockdowns going on around the world, here on the thread we have more trivial issues to consider, getting an haircut.
I think that hairstyles also play as an important part of the look as the clothes themselves. I know, that some people may have become more follically challenged with age, myself included to a lesser extent, but nevertheless it is something that requires attention, even skinheads had hair, the originals anyway.
I have been having my hair styled in recent years in a shorter French crew/college boy cut. The problem is it's grows quick, and 5 to 6 weeks is the maximum time I go without a trim.
It now looks as if I will have to embrace a much longer style in the coming months, an opportunity to try to mix it with clothes that suit, maybe a good thing to revisit in a month or so.
And no I will not be buying hair clippers and letting the wife loose, she is also getting worried about her roots, I have offered to assist with a bottle of bleach.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
With the current lockdowns going on around the world, here on the thread we have more trivial issues to consider, getting an haircut.
I think that hairstyles also play as an important part of the look as the clothes themselves. I know, that some people may have become more follically challenged with age, myself included to a lesser extent, but nevertheless it is something that requires attention, even skinheads had hair, the originals anyway.
I have been having my hair styled in recent years in a shorter French crew/college boy cut. The problem is it's grows quick, and 5 to 6 weeks is the maximum time I go without a trim.
It now looks as if I will have to embrace a much longer style in the coming months, an opportunity to try to mix it with clothes that suit, maybe a good thing to revisit in a month or so.
And no I will not be buying hair clippers and letting the wife loose, she is also getting worried about her roots, I have offered to assist with a bottle of bleach.
Ha Ha going for the Debbie Harry 80s look...

Funny as i was thinking about the same thing this morning. Luckily i went to the barber something like two weeks ago and had my hair cut short.
For a year or so i'm going back to the barber, but before i didn't go for years and i had my hair done by my Ex or a friend with my trimmer.
I guess if the lockdown is (much) longer than expected i can go for a buzz cut.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Yorky your English is normally impeccable, so is it really an haircut?

Being locked down brings on pedantry :-D

But this is a very serious topic indeed. I am lucky that I had mine cut shorter than usual last Friday. I am also lucky that I have a very nice pair of Whal clippers and all the attachments. In past emergencies (like my barber going on a long holiday) I have asked him how I should use them for best results, and he has given me a full demo. So, I can and will cut my own hair!

The worst Covid-19 related thing for me at the moment is that I took five shirts to my ironing lady on Monday and they shut shop (without any notice) on Monday night!

Kingstonian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“The worst Covid-19 related thing for me at the moment is that I took five shirts to my ironing lady on Monday and they shut shop (without any notice) on Monday night!”

Count your blessings. At least you are in good health.

I had thought various places might get closed down. So I have several pairs of shoes that need heels but I held off taking in for repair. I would prefer a nice pair of shoes to stay at my house rather than the cobblers for the duration. Same with online sales. I have no purchases in the pipeline. One shop I use emailed today to say they have ceased delivering for the duration. We don’t need much new stuff apart from the basics while we are confined to barracks.

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Yorky your English is normally impeccable, so is it really an haircut?

Being locked down brings on pedantry :-D

But this is a very serious topic indeed. I am lucky that I had mine cut shorter than usual last Friday. I am also lucky that I have a very nice pair of Whal clippers and all the attachments. In past emergencies (like my barber going on a long holiday) I have asked him how I should use them for best results, and he has given me a full demo. So, I can and will cut my own hair!

The worst Covid-19 related thing for me at the moment is that I took five shirts to my ironing lady on Monday and they shut shop (without any notice) on Monday night!
You are quite correct Mr K, deduct me A mark, only use AN if the consonant is silent.
As I said previously, no clippers on my Barnet, I'm worried that it won't grew back again ??‍♂️.
An ironing lady!! how middle class ? (I think that the grammar is correct), how do you keep the shirts pressed once you collect them? I keep my shirts in drawers, due to a lack of hanging space, because of my multitude of other garments. Which means that I only iron my shirts prior to wearing them, or doing a batch and hanging them on the back of doors.

Last edited:

Botolph

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a set of Wahl clippers at the ready as well, but haven’t done my own in years(I prefer the luxury of a pro doing it) . Just had a trim two weeks ago(I hit the barbershop every two weeks), so I’m ready for another but will hold out... as long as I can stand it. My young son’s hair grows slowly so he’s OK for a while.
Problem is, I like a #2 around the ears and back of head tapered up to a #4 or #6 on top—- NO WAY will I try that on my own unsuspecting napper!
One thing I WON’T be doing is growing a coronavirus beard like most dudes I see around.
The old adage “clean living under difficult circumstances” rings true now as much as ever.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good points @Yorky and @Kingstonian and @Botolph

Clean living and clean shaven yessir!

I fold my casual shirts @Yorky but tend to hang more formal ones - don't know why, just habit. Actually, I don't fear for my shirts' safety and I don't need them, having worn them all recently. But it's that lack of control that I am struggling with.

I wonder if online shopping will also be curtailed. I had an email from Harvie & Hudson saying they were stopping online services.

For my job I have been asked to start a debate (in healthcare) about what positives we can take from Covid-19 in terms of our preparations for a return to some kind on 'new normality' . Perhaps the outbreak will also help save this sickly thread!!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Love the picture the Spanish guy posted on the WAYW thread of Modculture.
Very smart with a bespoke suit...and a chirurgical mask...

(scroll down)

"All dressed up...and nowhere to go" would be a great Friday Challenge topic these days.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
I have a set of Wahl clippers at the ready as well, but haven’t done my own in years(I prefer the luxury of a pro doing it) . Just had a trim two weeks ago(I hit the barbershop every two weeks), so I’m ready for another but will hold out... as long as I can stand it. My young son’s hair grows slowly so he’s OK for a while.
Problem is, I like a #2 around the ears and back of head tapered up to a #4 or #6 on top—- NO WAY will I try that on my own unsuspecting napper!
One thing I WON’T be doing is growing a coronavirus beard like most dudes I see around.
The old adage “clean living under difficult circumstances” rings true now as much as ever.
I suggested to my 9 years old son a Buzz cut, but i don't know why he glanced at me weirdly. Maybe because i gave him a few days before a new pair of 8 eyes DMs ?

My Clipper/Trimmer is a german Moser. Very Good. My Barber uses the same brand. That's the complete set :

moser_tondeuse_trend_cut_s1510224176774A_124213192.jpg

Last edited:

Yorky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good points @Yorky and @Kingstonian and @Botolph

Clean living and clean shaven yessir!

I fold my casual shirts @Yorky but tend to hang more formal ones - don't know why, just habit. Actually, I don't fear for my shirts' safety and I don't need them, having worn them all recently. But it's that lack of control that I am struggling with.

I wonder if online shopping will also be curtailed. I had an email from Harvie & Hudson saying they were stopping online services.

For my job I have been asked to start a debate (in healthcare) about what positives we can take from Covid-19 in terms of our preparations for a return to some kind on 'new normality' . Perhaps the outbreak will also help save this sickly thread!!
But it's that lack of control that I am struggling with.
I think that we all have that element of needing to control our own destiny and shirts in us, and caring about what some people would seem to be unimportant. If we didn't we would all be dressing like the other 99.9% of the population.
To paraphtase one of our governments advisors we don't go for "herd immunity".

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To paraphtase one of our governments advisors we don't go for "herd immunity".
I choked on my coffee when I learnt the plan for the UK was to let the whole population catch covid on purpose.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads