Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

I would sooner brave the Victor Meldrew quips than wear a car coat. Victor had some reasonable kit from time to time.

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I don't want anyone thinking that I am promoting car coat wearing, but perhaps a shorter raincoat with detachable liner, and maybe a more fitted cut ?.

I notice that Baracuta are doing a raincoat with Harrington like flaps on the pockets.

3. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

You could just wear a zip fronted garment from somewhere like Marks. Practical but not very stylish.

4. covskin

covskin Senior member

Agree with cerneabbas, always that distinctive anglo-continental Cleav look.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Thanks Cern

I have two pairs now these and black suede whole cuts. They are very well made indeed, both are MTO. That said there is the Carmina website and also Gentlemens Footwear site and affiliate thread on here courtesy of @steveyoo1983 Now that is well worth a look.

Best

Cleav

6. steveyoo1983

steveyoo1983 Affiliate Vendor Affiliate Vendor

Thanks Cleav!

We are running a re-run of this boots (group MTO) at this time ;)

7. covskin

covskin Senior member

A candle snuffer, very evocative cerneabbas.

Been a bit warm lately so only worn the covert coat once yet, with meggings and converse. Actually with slight fading indigo 501s and black Loake 771s. I think it works provided you don't do anything stupid like having a shirt *and* tie up top. Bumped into a bloke with a similar look but in a sort of negative, fawn coat, blue jeans and red shoes and got some recognition from a bloke who looked to be wearing another type of Cordings coat. Unfortunately, the women seemed not to notice.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015

8. covskin

covskin Senior member

I have seen the odd young bloke wearing something like this recently, like a greatcoat with gunflap and all the details but tight and jacket length. Fashion rather than style at that extreme.

9. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Strange coincidence,I noticed in M&S 'New in' section a raincoat in navy or stone,its quite short ( not great for prolonged storms,but handy for in and out of the car),pocket flaps something like a Harrington..£79 ...I doubt its going to be great but I will have a look.

I may have to don my 'hard hat' but has anyone seen a 'Harrington mac' ?, a cross between the two,I have seen pictures and I cant make up my mind between 'awful' or 'awfully good idea', perhaps its the updated car coat that I mentioned or perhaps its a load of crap...

Last edited: Mar 21, 2015

10. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes,I have seen students wearing them,the last couple of winters old sheepskins have been popular amongst female students here.

11. covskin

covskin Senior member

Thinking of going for a black raincoat - maybe this could be my (hitherto elusive) mod touch. What I have learnt so far. That I should avoid superfluous flaps/buttons/belts and the candle-snuffer shape. That a bit of polyester in the mix makes the coat look sharper (nothing worse than beige *and* wrinkly). Thrilling stuff!

12. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

l

I got a black raincoat from Brooks Bros that ticks all those boxes except the polyester part, but it stays crisp even in my luggage. Will bang up a photo when I return home from sunny Brum tomorrow.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Totally off subject Botolph,but I have been following up the 'hard hats' from the Mod to Suedehead thread,I googled football fans hard hats and theres pictures of American construction workers hard hats with football logos and colours,do you know if this 'trend' came over from England ?

14. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

I bought a black plain raincoat in M&S a couple of years back it is very thin,ok for a wet summer day,looks ok.

The Ben Sherman 'Harrymac' comes in black,only for dressed down occasions,and probably has too many flaps / buttons / collars for you,no belt though.

15. Botolph

Botolph Senior member

Hmmm... That I do not know for sure. I do know that construction workers do occasionally adorn their hardhats with club logos, insignias, etc., and might wear them to football games, even en masse( group of fellas from work who might hold season tickets and identify themselves as such). Then there's the extensive tailgating that goes on pregame as a culture unto itself with its own customs and social mores... But this is really all speculation as I don't follow American football, though my Dad does.
    Interesting thought(the idea that adorning hardhats at football was adopted from the British), but I imagine it might be a coincidental home-grown custom.