The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

After reading the Thin White Dukes blog I have found my way to the Modculture forum,its generally far to identifyably 'mod' for me,too many discussions about "was it worn by original mods" ? etc but some threads and comments I found interesting.

I am the opposite to a lot of the blokes on there in my attitude,they like being recognised as a mod or being evolved from mod,I don't want anything like that and I am happy finding contemporary items that fit in with what I wear / like ( leather chukka boots for instance).
    Reading some comments on Modculture they discuss certain items as 'staples',and I suppose that I have thought like that,now though I am wondering does a Harrington jacket for instance mark us as 'mod',skinhead / suedehead inspired ?,is there an alternative with less baggage ?.

2. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

I had this exact jacket. Bought new in summer 1980. It had a weird bleachy smell no doubt from the manufacturer softening up the raw denim. Took several washed to get rid of the smell. I must have been still growing, cos I remember giving it to my then girlfriend in 1988 when I bought a Levis one from a market stall in Leeds and which I still own but rarely wear.

Interesting discussion about overcoats, I got a black+white=grey Hickey Freeman herringbone coat with fly front, straight flapped pockets (no ticket pocket) and no velvet collar for $90 off eBay. It's longer than the current trend but in this case function is more important to me and it does its job admirably for winter work trips to the northern states!

3. covskin

covskin Senior member

...and for me too, so went for the covert in the end, in navy of course! Something about the lack of cuff buttons is especially pleasing, very sleek, and I was startled with the Crombie as I had forgotten the low button stance of my old crombie - much preferred the high three button stance of the covert (the only time I ever do though). It is also a change from the past, albeit minor.

So my raincoat plans are up in the air once more...

(as a data point: I am 38" chest, 32" waist, shirt sleeve 33" and the 36R covert fits near perfectly)

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

4. covskin

covskin Senior member

Re raincoats, noticed these back again

http://www.johnsimons.co.uk/js2-short-raincoat-natural/

Hmmm...I have become more critical. The collar looks a little feminine to me (a bit too rounded I think) and I don't like the splay on the flaps (looks a bit art deco/1930s somehow, like something out of Poirot), or indeed the flaps and buttons in essence.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

5. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

Received these yesterday, any thought?

Too 'fancy dan' I fear for Cov's tastes?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. covskin

covskin Senior member

Haha...Austin Powers would be proud. Seriously, I like the sleekness (from both the last and the oxford lacing) and the colour. What tip would that be? - not a wingtip any more. Just not for me, I ain't that refined innit.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2015

7. Cleav

Ha, Austin Powers! I didn't consider that. Velvet suit and e-type on the horizon :D

8. Cleav

9. covskin

covskin Senior member

Good idea for anyone having quality stuff lying around but nothing much to offer presently I'm afraid, have always been fairly minimal.

10. Cleav

Right you are, any chance we can put it about so people pick the gear up? There's no shortage of RTPs but a distinct shortage of those wanting to receive

best

cleav

11. Cleav

12. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Very nice boots Cleav,they fit in well with your 'look'.
    I have heard of Carmina but I have never seen them,did you have to order them ?, what do you think of them compared to C+J ?.

13. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

The more I look at raincoats the more I agree that you have to be critical and careful.
    To easy to either have the shape of a candle snuffer or the look of Victor Meldrew.
    I still haven't seen the Barbour Sedgewick in the flesh,a bit of a different take on raincoats,happy enough for the moment with the green Ben Sherman that I bought last year,no quality to it but the material,colour and shape don't scream old fogey ( or worse ).

Have you tried the Covert coat with jeans yet ? does it work ? if so with what footwear ?.

14. Kingstonian

Kingstonian Senior member

True. Especially if you also have a cap. Happened to me in Manchester.

Could wear a trench coat, but if you also have a bucket hat it is Inspector Clouseau.

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

This is partly why I mentioned something along the lines of a car coat a while back,the other part was practicality,but apart from Hugo Boss I have yet to see anyone do anything I can say that I like in a car coat design.