The Look goes on...

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Mr Knightley, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Mr Knightley

Mr Knightley Senior member

Welcome TWD it's good to see you posting here. I like your Africa report and will spend more time looking at your blog.

'.. being inspired by the classic sixties look without being enslaved by it...' Spot on!

2. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Hello Thin White Duke,

I have started to read your blog and its interesting to see that you have covered some of the subjects that we have talked about here,we spoke last year about what to wear in hot weather,you come to a conclusion about shorts that I agree with after my very short lived experiment with a 'Bermuda shorts' look,now abandoned.

You also talk about other topics that we haven't talked about such as hats ( I don't remember it being talked about here).

I think that you sum this thread up with 'inspired by the classic 60s look without being enslaved by it'',thats how I see it too although I am still trying different items to see if they fit in with 'the look',quite a lot of the time they don't but that's part of the fun for me.

As you say the thread has been going nearly a year ( on Friday in fact ),and I still get a great deal of enjoyment reading the posts,and in the conversations,the great thing for me is that because its not a 'uniform' and because we aren't doing the re-enactment thing we can all have our own approach to 'the look'.

3. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

As we have spoken about before on here Loake do make various ranges of shoes at different prices,the cheapest are made in India and IMO they are not as good as the more expensive shoes,and that's what you would expect.
    On the other threads Loake get a bit of a bashing,but not by everybody,I think that the 1880 range more than hold their own against other shoes in THE SAME price range,yes I have seen people comparing a Loake brogue with an Alfred Sargent brogue and saying that the AS is superior,then you find out that the Loake was half the price !.

I have 4 pairs of Loake made shoes or boots,the first pair that I bought the black Burford brogue boot with a leather sole get worn the least,I don't like wearing them in the rain and lets face it in England that's quite a lot of the time,the other 3 pairs have the Dainite sole,that means that the outer sole is rubber instead of leather,they are the same price so its not the cheapo option,just preference.
    I feel that as well as being better in the wet,the Dainite soled shoes are a bit more flexible and comfortable,again that's just my opinion, although I remember Botolph saying that he rated his Loake Royals against some of his more expensive brogues for comfort.
    On one thread they were comparing Loake favourably to Allen Edmonds !, I am sure that AE have various ranges too and in any comparison its important to compare like to like.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

4. Thin White Duke

Thin White Duke Senior member

Cheers fellas. I will make more effort to look on this side of the forum as I catch up on this thread. As I say on the blog, what draws me to the Mod look is versatility such that it can be dressed up or down as much as you want it to be, so can provide a template for so many situations without being rigidly prescriptive. I can't say that I've stayed within the template my entire adult life, but I can say that the worst style mistakes I've made have been those by which I strayed farthest from the Mod look. There's enough room within the look to avoid it being a uniform so a bunch of like minded people can be in the same place, all recognize each other as fellow travelers and still all look different.

Living in America where its all less known I enjoy flying under the radar, where I might get a compliment from time to time but I'm sure only a tiny moniority will know the origin of the look.

5. covskin

covskin Senior member

^ Just reading your blog post on club striped ties having recently got one myself to sate my somewhat irrational craving for a boating blazer (white and navy stripe, to be worn with a navy odd jacket 'blazer'). Agree that these are not really business formal.

Also, lots of well dressed blokes in transit to Cheltenham today.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015

6. Mr Knightley

I am enjoying the blog but don't agree that striped ties are as popular here in England. It may be that lingering fear of being accused of wearing a tie to which you are not entitled but they are less popular than plains, neats or other patterns IMO.

It is a pity as I have always enjoyed them and they were certainly part of the 60s Look.

7. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Yes,I remember my first striped tie,navy blue and white stripes to go with my navy blue BD Ben Sherman,1970 or 71.

I was aware of the 'crime' of wearing someones regimental tie from reading Goldfinger,Fleming tells us in his description of Junius Du Pont that he was wearing a ' narrow dark red and blue striped tie that fractionally wasnt the Brigade of Guards'.

I didn't know until I read Rods blog that the stripes were different on American and British ties though,I wonder if Fleming got that wrong ?.

1 year anniversary tomorrow Mr Knightley,thanks very much for starting the thread and your interesting and thought provoking posts, I hope that all the other contributors have enjoyed the thread as much as I have.

8. Mr Knightley

Thanks mate and many thanks too to all contributors[​IMG]

9. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Dubiously Honored Moderator

I believe a bit of the reluctance to wear striped ties is rooted in not wanting to be associated with something we have no connection.

However, it may well be the case that quite a significant number of school ties, that we were forced to wear, were striped so there may be a more deep seated reason for those not keen on the striped tie.

My school tie was black with a thin red, then thin yellow stripe. Awful.

I have no reservation wearing a striped tie these days though.

Last year I was asked if attended Eton. I was blissfully unaware of the similarity (!) between their tie and my favourite Corneliani. Ooops

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

@Mr Knightley More importantly many happy returns to your thread! :slayer:

10. Cleav

11. Mr Knightley

Thanks Cleav. Thank you for all your input to it. Where might one obtain Corneliani these days?

12. Cleav

Got that in Brighton actually, really like the knot and the texture in the stripe.

Nowadays, some clever surfing the webernetz will reveal some beauties of the right era at the right price

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_n...=c&geo_id=32251&keyword=corneliani+tie&crdt=0

New, then try http://www.corneliani.com/en or the big stores in London stock em. Here's one with lots more around...

http://www.selfridges.com/en/cornel...vc:c|adp:1o2&gclid=CIGz_63Po8QCFWEOwwodwAIA9w

13. covskin

covskin Senior member

Ha ha...there are three ties I can wear but I own none of them! - of the ones I do have none appear to be 'taken'.

Happy anniversary, etc

14. covskin

covskin Senior member

Here is my comparison of the Cordings covert coat and the Crombie short retro coat for anyone who is interested (similarities as well as differences, for the avoidance of doubt).

(as a data point: I am 38" chest, 32" waist, shirt sleeve 33" and the 36R covert fits near perfectly)

Covert
    Sized down (38" to 36R)
    Cloth a little harder
    Cloth weight similar
    Top button higher (at bottom of sternum)
    3 button flyfront
    Waisted
    Sleeves maybe 2" shorter
    No cuff buttons
    Level flapped pockets
    Ticket pocket
    Lines of stitching at cuffs and hem
    Hem maybe 1" shorter
    Navy colour a little bluer
    Longer single vent (buttoned halfway)
    Extra internal pocket (large)
    Single breasted/notch lapel
    £600 cheaper on the day

Crombie
    Sized up (38" to 40R)
    Cloth a little softer
    Cloth weight similar
    Top button lower (at bottom of ribs)
    3 button flyfront
    Waisted
    Sleeves maybe 2" longer
    Cuff buttons
    Level flapped pockets
    No ticket pocket
    No lines of stitching at cuffs and hem
    Hem maybe 1" longer
    Navy colour a little blacker
    Shorter single vent
    No extra internal pocket (large)
    Single breasted/notch lapel
    £600 dearer on the day

Last edited: Mar 16, 2015

15. cerneabbas

cerneabbas Senior member

Well done covskin,that is very interesting and shows the perils in ordering an item with out trying it on,I have had many size issues buying online.
    I have to say for me the Crombie is probably out on price alone,I doubt that the coat will be worn enough to justify the expense,in any case the Covert coat seems to tick more boxes for me.
    I know that the flapped pockets look smart and are traditional but I wonder if slanted flapless pockets like the ones on some raincoats that you can put your hands into would be better on a winter overcoat ?.

I mentioned buying online,the one thing that I am ok with ( so far) is Loake shoes,if its the 24,26 or 1639 lasts then I am a size 10,I have found an online shop CW menswear that is selling a lot of Loake shoes and boots at more than 15% below retail price,I cant find any reviews but I might have a try and go for the Loake Pimlico chukka boot in Brown leather for £188,its on the Capital last which I haven't tried but having read reviews I will chance it.
    I did buy from a shop selling certain Loake lines at 15% off a few years ago,he was prepared to specially order any other Loakes at 15% off too but he wouldn't accept returns on special orders.

Also Atom Retro have some John Smedley polos reduced to eighty odd pounds,I saw a royal blue one that I like in Large but its slim fit,having never tried a John Smedley on let alone a slim fit I have backed off but any size information that anyone has I would appreciate.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015