• We would like to welcome Sprezzabox to the Styleforum family as an official Affiliate Vendor! SprezzaBox is a monthly subscription service for men, delivering a unique selection of fashion and lifestyle accessories right to your doorstep.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

The Look goes on...

dopeman

Reaction score
As regards to the Look , mods etc .
I agree with Jimmy - the point is to look ‘right’ in almost any social circles without looking like you try to hard .
Whether it’s tea at the Ritz or a pint in a dodgy boozer .
If you look at the Oi Polloi lookbook thing (https://www.oipolloi.com/blogs/deck-out ), especially older ones, then IMO that is the evolution of the Look. More casual than mod / formal / Italian style for sure , but that is the way UK fashion has been since the ‘acid house’ switchover .
Armani suits were dead in 88/89 but Armani casual gear was massive then.
Sadly, the suit thing never came back until the mid 00’s with the tight fitted suit, usually worn casually without a tie. Obviously there are still occasions to wear one , however I do find at a funeral I am the only one in proper gear .

The Look is a UK thing only - it’s not a thing in any other country - despite the rise of global retro ‘casuals’ and ‘mods’ long after said groups have gone .
Was just listening to Steve Jones (sex pistols) talking about being a young skinhead after growing up trying to copy the mods and then got into bootboy/glam rock which merged with the soulboys to form punk.
Just like the old mods he kept up with the freshest music (and therefore clothes) as that’s what most young working class boys do , which is how ‘the look’ arrived.
The point of ‘the look’ was to impress your mates and get the birds (you won’t do that shopping in the high street for the latest trends at any point in past 60 years).

Now we are old and we reminisce about the clothes we wore in our youth and still try and keep ‘the look’ as we perceive it, usually for our own satisfaction.
Meanwhile ‘the look’ has gone for kids as fashion is now a global thing .
The coolest people to the kids these days are the rappers so most ape them . The only young ones I see with anything I resemble as ‘cool’ is the ones wearing the retro 90’s look, as at least you can’t walk into a shop and buy it , it has to be carefully curated and it is not noticed by the general public . Though that has changed in past couple of years. Not a lot gets left under the radar without big business exploiting it any more .

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can you wear that jumper next to the skin @Yorky ? Makes me feel itchy!

Recent outfit:

D3907FF2-DEFC-4B14-80FA-B7314C482666.jpeg

F68DE532-66FD-4991-860A-F0DB911B443D.jpeg

Jacket: Gurteen (2 button w double vents)
Rollneck: Sunspel
Scarf: Drake’s
PS: TM Lewin
Chinos: CT
Boots (look away, Inspector): Church’s

Yorky

Reaction score

dopeman

Reaction score
Can you wear that jumper next to the skin @Yorky ? Makes me feel itchy!

Recent outfit:

View attachment 1336937

View attachment 1336938

Jacket: Gurteen (2 button w double vents)
Rollneck: Sunspel
Scarf: Drake’s
PS: TM Lewin
Chinos: CT
Boots (look away, Inspector): Church’s
Those boots have a paraboot/wallabie vibe - but less casual . Like them .

Inspector - paraboot michaels were part of the casual ‘look’ in late 80’s and are now being worn again in UK. I have a pair and love them , a lot of people don’t though !
What is the French perspective?

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score

Inspector - paraboot michaels were part of the casual ‘look’ in late 80’s and are now being worn again in UK. I have a pair and love them , a lot of people don’t though !
Simon's, when it was in Covent Gdn, was the only place that I knew of, that stocked them. Had a pair of about 30 yrs. Black boots. To be honest, they show little signs of wear and tear.

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score

The paraboot "Michael" are an absolute classic here, they exist since the end of WW2 i think. It's a kind of "love them - hate them" design as you know. They are still Made in France (rare thing nowadays). I have a pair (Nubuck version) since the early 90s and they are still in good shape, actually they are built like a Sherman Tank (or rather a french AMX).
Paraboot has a lot of interesting models, some are variation on classic french models like the "Golf" or the "Chasse" as they are called at JM Weston (the other great French shoe brand. Heschung are good too, but i never owned a pair.)

paraboots.JPG

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Simon's, when it was in Covent Gdn, was the only place that I knew of, that stocked them. Had a pair of about 30 yrs. Black boots. To be honest, they show little signs of wear and tear.
I went to the Covent Garden shop something like 20 years ago. I just passed by and was really impressed by the window display. It was quite a small shop, i went inside and had a look but bought nothing. At the time i had absolutely no idea of who was J.Simons or about his previous shops. I learned that much later in "MtS" at the time when it was still a great thread.
Since i have been several time to his new bigger shop, but i don't find it the charm that the Covent Garden's one had. And still bought nothing there !

Jimmy Balantyne

Reaction score
I went to the Covent Garden shop something like 20 years ago. I just passed by and was really impressed by the window display. It was quite a small shop, i went inside and had a look but bought nothing. At the time i had absolutely no idea of who was J.Simons or about his previous shops. I learned that much later in "MtS" at the time when it was still a great thread.
Since i have been several time to his new bigger shop, but i don't find it the charm that the Covent Garden's one had. And still bought nothing there !
I had a pair of the shoes, exactly like yours and, to be honest, preferred them to my boots. Inexplicably, I chucked them out when I was moving. Still wake up at night and cry about it. Chiltern Street does lack charm of the Cov Gdn. I can't really recall the Soho one.

Mr Knightley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had a pair of the shoes, exactly like yours and, to be honest, preferred them to my boots. Inexplicably, I chucked them out when I was moving. Still wake up at night and cry about it. Chiltern Street does lack charm of the Cov Gdn. I can't really recall the Soho one.
I first heard about JS one day in the summer of 1969 from a bunch of guys in Oxford Street who were raving about this new place they had discovered in Soho. Went to the Brewer Street shop soon after and then to the Ivy Shop in Richmond shortly after that. I remember the Ivy Shop being considered the better shop by the connoisseurs but never really knew why - maybe because it was a bugger to reach!

Covent Gdn certainly had great charm at a time when such stuff was hard to find.

dopeman

Reaction score
The paraboot "Michael" are an absolute classic here, they exist since the end of WW2 i think.
Thanks for the info .
I used to hate them in the 80’s , now I love them - especially as I walk a lot .
They look good with slim trousers (like in your pic) but also with baggy ( like when they were worn originally in the 40’s I suppose ) . Not many shoes that can look good with so many trousers hem widths/heights .
Take a look at the “engineered garments” thread on here, a lot of them wear them with fatigues worn above the ankle.

The other French classic I wear a lot are the Mephisto rainbows .
No doubt hated on this thread if the reaction of most of my friends over the years is anything to go by .

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Thanks for the info .
I used to hate them in the 80’s , now I love them - especially as I walk a lot .
They look good with slim trousers (like in your pic) but also with baggy ( like when they were worn originally in the 40’s I suppose ) . Not many shoes that can look good with so many trousers hem widths/heights .
Take a look at the “engineered garments” thread on here, a lot of them wear them with fatigues worn above the ankle.

The other French classic I wear a lot are the Mephisto rainbows .
No doubt hated on this thread if the reaction of most of my friends over the years is anything to go by .
I quite like the Mephistos too but don't own a pair either.
Yeah the Michaels have their adepts on the SW&D board, i noticed that, so have the "Thuyas" that are the Heschung version, they have almost the same design.

With fatigues i prefer to wear Adidas GAT or… DM shoes ! (Sorry Jimmy) :tongue:

Kingstonian

Reaction score
I first heard about JS one day in the summer of 1969 from a bunch of guys in Oxford Street who were raving about this new place they had discovered in Soho. Went to the Brewer Street shop soon after and then to the Ivy Shop in Richmond shortly after that. I remember the Ivy Shop being considered the better shop by the connoisseurs but never really knew why - maybe because it was a bugger to reach!

Covent Gdn certainly had great charm at a time when such stuff was hard to find.
Was told about Brewer Street shop and went in search of it.

Then heard about Richmond and went there.

Never knew anything about who owned either or that it was the same person for decades. I don’t recall seeing John Simons in either shop and the staff were usually different on every visit. They were both always busy on Saturdays and not a place for extended conversations.

Neither was that difficult to get to for me.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 87 17.4%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 159 31.9%
  • 8”

Votes: 144 28.9%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 58 11.6%
  • 9”

Votes: 26 5.2%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 11 2.2%